Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panicking about TB test results

• 25-04-2019 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all. I've a closed herd of sucklers and spent the last year down with TB. 8 neighbour's also went down. I have 2 clear tests done and my final one was done yesterday for reading on Saturday. I have noticed a bottom lump on my bull and I'm sick with worry. I can't afford a second year locked up especially with last year's calves left to shift.
    I'm beside myself with worry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,818 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Randall887 wrote: »
    Hi all. I've a closed herd of sucklers and spent the last year down with TB. 8 neighbour's also went down. I have 2 clear tests done and my final one was done yesterday for reading on Saturday. I have noticed a bottom lump on my bull and I'm sick with worry. I can't afford a second year locked up especially with last year's calves left to shift.

Don't even look for lumps, there could be a lump on top under the skin you can't see. You'll wreck your head if you start looking at them. Good luck in the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Hope all will be ok, for the test each year I've never slept between testing and after reading one of the four most important days of the year for small farmers , day they are born day getting results, day selling and the day submitting the bps etc, anything goes wrong on either it's a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Randall887

whelan2 wrote: »
    Don't even look for lumps, there could be a lump on top under the skin you can't see. You'll wreck your head if you start looking at them. Good luck in the test

I've actually gone to bed for the evening after seeing it earlier I'm so depressed. I wish to God the vet would take all of them and they go together. Can't keep getting to the finish line and going down again. It's more than my nerves can hack

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Its a worrying time alright. Went down with tb here for the first time about two and a half years ago.
    Is the lump big?

RD10 wrote: »
    Its a worrying time alright. Went down with tb here for the first time about two and a half years ago.
    Is the lump big?

You only see it up close but you feel it. It's big enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There is little you can do 're the results, only hope for the best. I don't even bother looking at the area on them between testing and reading and I see the cow's at milking breeding etc a couple of times a day.
    Dealing with it long term is a bollix no 2 ways about it plenty days I was spitting fire or tearing my hair out wondering where would it end. Lost 40 cows and stuck with all young stock in the last 2 years and have been restricted a different stages in most previous years.
    All I will say is wait till the reading is done to see where you stand and talk to the dept, they will try and help as much as they can. There are hardship payments available, not much but it's something and perhaps talk with your advisor or dis group to see what changes you could make to your system to cope. Perhaps finishing of stock instead of selling as weanlings, etc . If you have to offload stock not fit for the factory feedlots can buy from restricted herds.
    Clean out water troughs regularly make sure any feed is stored away from vermin etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've actually gone to bed for the evening after seeing it earlier I'm so depressed. I wish to God the vet would take all of them and they go together. Can't keep getting to the finish line and going down again. It's more than my nerves can hack

I've gone down twice in the last 3 years so I know how frustrating it is.

But there's nothing you can do about it at this stage so wait till the vet reads the test before worry about what's happening. The bull might be grand when reading so let the vet decide what's happening first and then decide on a plan.

What part of the country are you in? There's different spreading patterns in different parts of the country with deer or badgers and whatever you can do to lessen the risk depends on what the cause is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Can you not sell stock to a feedlot if you are locked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭50HX

Cavanjack wrote: »

You can as long as the dept agree

All animals in the feedlot have to go to slaughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have being in the same position before and know how you are feeling and only advice is not to wind your self up over the lump. Chance are this could be an avian lump. Now a days we don’t look at the test till the vet reads them and can’t change the outcome.
    When we were locked up our vet discussed and looked at where the problem was coming from and try solve. In our case it was deer and bad hunters/shooters leaving the cleanings out on the land.
    Sister in law her problem was load water trough which the badger was getting into.
    Finally wish you the best of luck with your reading day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Best of luck with the test. Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cavanjack wrote: »

Feedlots are giving rubbish prices, really taking advantage I'm told.
    €50 for reared beef x calves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

wrangler wrote: »
    Feedlots are giving rubbish prices, really taking advantage I'm told.
    €50 for reared beef x calves

That’s because they can as if your locked up it’s either hold stock factory hold them or feedlot best of luck with test op .try not look at lumps you’ll drive yourself mad .my mother is a great woman for a drop of holy water on stock .....

I hope your crush is outside they wont do much looking in this weather

How did you get on?

How did you get on?

I'm watching all day too, hope alls good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'm interested in this story too and waiting to hear the result. I'm posting so it'll appear in "my threads". It's a horrible feeling to be worried sick about something.

Ann22 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this story too and waiting to hear the result. I'm posting so it'll appear in "my threads". It's a horrible feeling to be worried sick about something.

You can also select the follow thread option at the beginning and end of each page, that will show any followed threads on your threads without having to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Jeez this is worse than watching a cow calving. Did ya pass or wha.
    Probably down boozer with veterinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sacrolyte wrote: »

....or digging a hole somewhere.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Sacrolyte wrote: »

He posted looking for advice and sympathy. He must have got bad news

jntsnk wrote: »
    He posted looking for advice and sympathy. He must have got bad news

Guys and girls.....we passed. No lumps were there reading day. Overwhelmed. Seeing them go out to grass clear brought a few tears to my eyes

Ann22 wrote: »

Can't thank ye all enough for the kind words and may that worry never be wished on any of you good people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Yay.

I'm not usually pessimistic but Christ ya held out long enough to make me think it wasn't good. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That just made my day. :rolleyes:

I hope someone in the Dept might read this and actually do something about TB. I went down 3 years ago and locked up for months. The relief was unreal when I got clear again.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Guys and girls.....we passed. No lumps were there reading day. Overwhelmed. Seeing them go out to grass clear brought a few tears to my eyes

Good stuff bits and pieces of tb in my area .always find the 3 days around tb testing to be the most stressful of the year .always a great feeling when the last ainmal is read and all clear given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

That just made my day. :rolleyes:

I hope someone in the Dept might read this and actually do something about TB. I went down 3 years ago and locked up for months. The relief was unreal when I got clear again.

I got caught 2 years ago and it put a good bit of pressure on me. Was just after taking over the farm. Had no weanlings sold and the sfp and anc got held up until Christmas week. Nearly went broke before I got started at all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Very glad for you OP. Happy you can let go of the stress. Do something nice for yourself to help recover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Delighted

Advertisement