Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind and Rain Warnings : Sat 13 / Mon 15 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

cloud base lifted here in coastal west mayo around midday,wind has calmed down,sun is out,doesnt feel that bad a day at all.

looking foward to the sunshine and heat from wednesday onwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A rough day down South that's for sure.

Z3zyZyp.gif

ORGbP5I.png

Kgwenrl.png

qqXWOFL.png

2cyaQ01.png

RhcpYpH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That's incoming? It's been non stop heavy drizzle in cork city since yesterday around 5pm. By non stop, literally non stop bar an hour or so maybe. Constant drizzle does really add up over time

Looks like the second band is starting to show up on the radars now

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Is an orange warning incoming for wind? Just seen this on Funderland facebook page.

"We have received a Status Orange warning for wind aswell as rain for tomorrow with winds gusting from 90km/h to 110km/h so Funderland will not be opening on Monday the 15th of April due to the severe forecast.
    Don’t worry Funderland will be on Tuesday the 16th again from 12pm right up until Sunday the 28th of April"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

TAF: EICK 141700Z 1418/1518 12018G28KT 7000 -RA SCT008 BKN010
    TEMPO 1418/1424 2000 RA BKN002 BECMG 1421/1423 12023G36KT TEMPO 1500/1517 12027G45KT 3000 RA BKN004 PROB30 TEMPO 1503/1512 2000 +RA BKN002 BECMG 1517/1518 14018G28KT

Cork Airport TAF for the next 24 hours,basically a washout. Rain between now and midnight,SE winds gusting 36knots and up to 45knots after midnight right through tomorrow with a chance of heavy rain between 3am-midday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nice day in Arklow today
    Not a drop of rain and not too breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

aisling86 wrote: »
    Is an orange warning incoming for wind? Just seen this on Funderland facebook page.

"We have received a Status Orange warning for wind aswell as rain for tomorrow with winds gusting from 90km/h to 110km/h so Funderland will not be opening on Monday the 15th of April due to the severe forecast.
    Don’t worry Funderland will be on Tuesday the 16th again from 12pm right up until Sunday the 28th of April"

They're quoting yellow level wind criteria so no. Just poorly worded, warning likely misunderstood by whoever wrote the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Thanks, that's what I was thinking also! I'm not working tomorrow but my desk overlooks Funderland.

drizzle is after getting even heavier now in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I must be getting old, but for some reason i found it amusing to see Met Eireann on RTE 1 this evening issuing an Orange warning for rain for Southern Counties.
    An Orange warning for rain in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    I must be getting old, but for some reason i found it amusing to see Met Eireann on RTE 1 this evening issuing an Orange warning for rain for Southern Counties.
    An Orange warning for rain in Ireland :rolleyes:

Why? It's more than we normally get and can cause flooding, especially in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is it just me that finds it unusual that Met Éireann haven’t included possibly rainfall totals in their current warnings? They usually do if my memory serves me correctly.

The totals shown on some models are in the red warning criteria levels!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1117489023822520321?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

26mm since it started raining yesterday in this part of Cork.

Lets just hope the ESB manage the dam in Cork correctly this time..

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why? It's more than we normally get and can cause flooding, especially in Cork!

How did we ever manage without weather warnings ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest ECM 12Z

1Zp5ro3.png

dDttwnT.png

Lets just hope the ESB manage the dam in Cork correctly this time..

And lets hope there are no high tides and South Easterly winds.

kub wrote: »
    And lets hope there are no high tides and South Easterly winds.

winds are coming from south east, high tide is at 2am

winds are coming from south east, high tide is at 2am

Oh oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Jean didn’t seem to be too worried about the orange warning for tonight and tomorrow for parts of the south and to be honest looking at the rainfall charts they didn’t seem too alarming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

pad199207 wrote: »
    Jean didn’t seem to be too worried about the orange warning for tonight and tomorrow for parts of the south and to be honest looking at the rainfall charts they didn’t seem too alarming.

That has to be one of the oddest TV forecasts I’ve ever watched with an Orange Warning in place and not one single idea of rainfall amounts??

I don’t get it at all and I just hope it doesn’t end up being a bad flooding event in Cork and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Most likely amounts, at a guess ...

40 to 60 mm on south-facing slopes in south coast counties, 30 to 50 mm locally elsewhere in west Munster and coastal Connacht.

20 to 40 mm max in a few favoured upslope areas of southeast, midlands, inland Connacht.

10 to 20 mm fairly general elsewhere further north and east.

Any flooding problems likely to be on small streams in Kerry and possibly west Cork.

Saw the forecast after the news and was a little perplexed by it too. A little bit vague. Are they holding out for 1 more run to show their hand fully :) ?

Anyway the rain arrived and moderate fall here atm with 2 mm in a relatively short time , would expect somewhere between 10 and 15 mm here near Tralee up until about 18.00 tomorrow. As for the S, I would go by the ECM as a good average and would think the models in general are showing areas getting 50mm to 70mm, more on high ground. The run off from high ground could be felt into Weds I would reckon testing river banks.

We will see, good opportunity to really check the accuracy of the models.

hVO7HKv.png

AROME 18Z just coming out and it would appear that the warning time to 18.00 might need to be extended a bit for the S.

aromehd-25-25-0_ebk1.png

Latest ARPEGE 18Z

arpegeuk-25-25-0_erm1.png

3357_joa9.png

anim_wjx1.gif

arpegeuk-52-27-0_wpf2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Must say I'm confused on the ME warnings Connacht don't get any mention for rain just wind, yet on radio a few minutes ago Connacht was mentioned for heavy rain, they seem to be all over the place tonight Jean gave no mention about the Orange warning of heavy rain.

Last one from me tonight.

Hope this doesn't materialize but I think AROME is not one to exaggerate rainfall amounts. Might not be as blanket heavy as this but areas could be easily getting 50mm and upwards from 60 to 70mm perhaps . This would be quite similar to the ECM 12Z .

3221_esz8.png

Still raining in cork, heavy bursts. Winds are starting to pick up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Radar showing dissapating rain in South.

Will it end up non event

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Radar showing dissapating rain in South.

Will it end up non event

*Sigh*

It's 1:30am, there's 16 hours and 30 minutes left in the warning, give it a rest!

Advertisement