Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do anti ageing creams without an spf still prevent wrinkles?

Options
  • 10-04-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm a man in my mid 20's and I'm starting to notice the first signs of ageing. Looser skin, fine lines and enlarged pores. I want to start using an anti ageing cream now and I'm looking up different product reviews. Most of them don't contain an spf especially the most highly recommended ones so I'm just wondering will they still prevent further photodamage.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH when I was in my mid 20's I noticed zero difference in my skin compared to my teens. I wasn't really looking mind you. I still looked in my mid 20's. Hell, now at 50 I have no wrinkles around the eyes or anywhere else really and still look my age. The most wrinkly 25 year old is still gonna look 25 years younger than me.

From what I recall reading on it, most visible skin ageing is down to sun damage and sun blocking creams will cut that down. I also recall reading that a good proportion of sun damage to the skin happens before we're twenty so...

Healthy lifestyle and diet make a huge difference. EG eating foods with lotsa betacarotene increases the skins natural "SPF" by a few points and reduces oxidative damage. NOT supplements, especially not betacarotene. A study into the benefits of that a few years back had to be stopped halfway through as the increase in cancers among smokers in the study sample went up to a statistically significant degree. Keeping the insulin balance in your body in the ideal range another. Exercise increases all sorts of good stuff in the body which will be related to how your skin looks. Avoid excess alcohol, don't smoke and stay hydrated. Job done.

Oh and have good genes. Some people visibly age more rapidly than average, just as some age more slowly. I knew guys in school doing the leaving cert that had already started to look like oul lads.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH when I was in my mid 20's I noticed zero difference in my skin compared to my teens. I wasn't really looking mind you. I still looked in my mid 20's. Hell, now at 50 I have no wrinkles around the eyes or anywhere else really and still look my age. The most wrinkly 25 year old is still gonna look 25 years younger than me.

From what I recall reading on it, most visible skin ageing is down to sun damage and sun blocking creams will cut that down. I also recall reading that a good proportion of sun damage to the skin happens before we're twenty so...

Healthy lifestyle and diet make a huge difference. EG eating foods with lotsa betacarotene increases the skins natural "SPF" by a few points and reduces oxidative damage. NOT supplements, especially not betacarotene. A study into the benefits of that a few years back had to be stopped halfway through as the increase in cancers among smokers in the study sample went up to a statistically significant degree. Keeping the insulin balance in your body in the ideal range another. Exercise increases all sorts of good stuff in the body which will be related to how your skin looks. Avoid excess alcohol, don't smoke and stay hydrated. Job done.

Oh and have good genes. Some people visibly age more rapidly than average, just as some age more slowly. I knew guys in school doing the leaving cert that had already started to look like oul lads.

Okay I see what you mean. There's a difference between looking your age and looking well for your age. I do think that even after 20 if your exposed to the sun for years without protection, your skin will wrinkle quicker than if you do use protection. And I understand what you mean about a healthy lifestyle contributing to younger looking skin in the long run. Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

NOT supplements, especially not betacarotene. A study into the benefits of that a few years back had to be stopped halfway through as the increase in cancers among smokers in the study sample went up to a statistically significant degree.

Have you got a link for that study?

OP there is no magic cream that will get rid of or prevent wrinkles, aging is a fact of life and once you hit 25 you lose a notable percentage of collagen each year. Creams are good for targeting surface skin problems like dryness and dehydration which can contribute to wrinkles as you can form dehydration lines as your skin doesnt hold onto water like it did when it was younger but anti wrinkle creams and all their fantastic claims are nothing but a marketing gimmick.
    Drinking more water will help (about 3 litres a day is the general recommendation) but it wont solve the problem by any stretch as your body uses the water for more important organs and flushes the rest out of your system. You might benefit from a hyaluronic acid serum, the ordinary does one for about 6 euro but you can buy more expensive ones, generally though, most of them work the same just avoid anything that has alcohol in the ingredients as this will only dry the skin out long term.

Exfoliate a few times a week with an AHA cleanser and hot cloth cleans with a facial oil everyday. I love coconut oil for this but allot of people dont like it as it gives them spots, there are lots of alternatives you can use, just find what works for you.

Sun damage is the biggest accelerator of lines and wrinkles. You can help reverse the damage and prevent further damage by using a vitamin c serum - I like moo goo and Image skincare but you can get cheaper brands.
    You need to wear a daily sunscreen of between 30 and 50 SPF, make sure it as UVA and UVB protection, buy one thats specifically for your face as it wont be greasy or cause you to break out. I love image sunscreen, and moo goo also but again, there are cheaper brands.

You might also benefit from monthly facials, this is something I wish I had started doing much earlier as I honestly think my skin would be in better shape now than it is if id started facials in my mid twenties.
    Id recommend Yonka facials, they have a range of facials specifically for mens skin, theyre unreal, ive a friend who gets these done every month and his skin is perfect. Ive started yonka facials a few months ago and already my skin is glowing and more youthful.

The basics of good skin comes down to a healthy diet, keeping hydrated, 7 - 10 hours of sleep every night, regular exercise, no smoking and limited alcohol intake are all massively important for skin health and appearance, without these it doesnt matter what you put on your face, you will look terrible and age faster.

Dont try to look young, try to look healthy and good for your age.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here ya go AF. Scary increase in risk.

From that link:

In the Finnish ATBC study of 29,000 male smokers, 20 mg beta-carotene supplements taken over six years were linked to lung cancer. In the U.S. CARET study of more than 18,000 male and female smokers and male asbestos workers, 30 mg beta-carotene supplements over four years were linked to a 28% higher risk of lung cancer and a 17% higher risk of deaths from all causes compared with smokers taking a placebo.

28% :eek: and even those who stopped had higher incidences. Yet a diet high in such substances is protective. Goes to show how complex this stuff is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Here ya go AF. Scary increase in risk.

From that link:

In the Finnish ATBC study of 29,000 male smokers, 20 mg beta-carotene supplements taken over six years were linked to lung cancer. In the U.S. CARET study of more than 18,000 male and female smokers and male asbestos workers, 30 mg beta-carotene supplements over four years were linked to a 28% higher risk of lung cancer and a 17% higher risk of deaths from all causes compared with smokers taking a placebo.

28% :eek: and even those who stopped had higher incidences. Yet a diet high in such substances is protective. Goes to show how complex this stuff is.

Scary stuff, they should come with a health warning, it'd be interesting to know if other types of vitamin supplements have negative effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

OP there is no magic cream that will get rid of or prevent wrinkles, aging is a fact of life and once you hit 25 you lose a notable percentage of collagen each year. Creams are good for targeting surface skin problems like dryness and dehydration which can contribute to wrinkles as you can form dehydration lines as your skin doesnt hold onto water like it did when it was younger but anti wrinkle creams and all their fantastic claims are nothing but a marketing gimmick.
    Drinking more water will help (about 3 litres a day is the general recommendation) but it wont solve the problem by any stretch as your body uses the water for more important organs and flushes the rest out of your system. You might benefit from a hyaluronic acid serum, the ordinary does one for about 6 euro but you can buy more expensive ones, generally though, most of them work the same just avoid anything that has alcohol in the ingredients as this will only dry the skin out long term.

Exfoliate a few times a week with an AHA cleanser and hot cloth cleans with a facial oil everyday. I love coconut oil for this but allot of people dont like it as it gives them spots, there are lots of alternatives you can use, just find what works for you.

Sun damage is the biggest accelerator of lines and wrinkles. You can help reverse the damage and prevent further damage by using a vitamin c serum - I like moo goo and Image skincare but you can get cheaper brands.
    You need to wear a daily sunscreen of between 30 and 50 SPF, make sure it as UVA and UVB protection, buy one thats specifically for your face as it wont be greasy or cause you to break out. I love image sunscreen, and moo goo also but again, there are cheaper brands.

You might also benefit from monthly facials, this is something I wish I had started doing much earlier as I honestly think my skin would be in better shape now than it is if id started facials in my mid twenties.
    Id recommend Yonka facials, they have a range of facials specifically for mens skin, theyre unreal, ive a friend who gets these done every month and his skin is perfect. Ive started yonka facials a few months ago and already my skin is glowing and more youthful.

The basics of good skin comes down to a healthy diet, keeping hydrated, 7 - 10 hours of sleep every night, regular exercise, no smoking and limited alcohol intake are all massively important for skin health and appearance, without these it doesnt matter what you put on your face, you will look terrible and age faster.

I take your point on anti ageing creams being a gimmick but with it being such a big industry, surely there has to be some proof that they work, otherwise how would they get away with selling them?

So you think the best course of action to reduce further sun damage is to use a facial sunscreen all year round and you recommend image and moo goo? I was using a facial sunscreen before but I found it was not much better than ordinary sunscreen as in it still didn't absorb and dry in and you could feel and see it on your skin until you washed it off.

Jp1506 wrote: »
    I take your point on anti ageing creams being a gimmick but with it being such a big industry, surely there has to be some proof that they work, otherwise how would they get away with selling them?

They can say anything they want, there are creams literally claiming to be botox in a jar, reduce cellulite and increase bust size. Topical creams cannot alter the size or shape of your body, reduce/increase fat or get rid of wrinkles, some products can temporarily help the appearance of lines on your face by plumping them up but even this has limited effects.
    If anti wrinkle creams worked why would anyone bother getting botox or fillers?

So you think the best course of action to reduce further sun damage is to use a facial sunscreen all year round and you recommend image and moo goo? I was using a facial sunscreen before but I found it was not much better than ordinary sunscreen as in it still didn't absorb and dry in and you could feel and see it on your skin until you washed it off.

You probably wearnt using one that was right for your skin type also different brands vary in how well they absorb into the skin and how well they apply. Can I ask what brand you used?

I like Image sunscreen because its a matt finish, its very light and I find that it absorbs well. I like moogoo because its natural, works well with my skin and is cheaper that image skincare - I have sensitive rosacea prone skin that reacts to everything but tolerates these brands well.

you may prefare a different brand entirely depending on your skin needs

Scary stuff, they should come with a health warning, it'd be interesting to know if other types of vitamin supplements have negative effects.
    From what I recall AF you have to be bloody careful with vitamin A, D and minerals like calcium and zinc. No megadoses like some of those online and offline "naturopath" quacks are pimping(and selling said vitamins).

They can say anything they want, there are creams literally claiming to be botox in a jar, reduce cellulite and increase bust size. Topical creams cannot alter the size or shape of your body, reduce/increase fat or get rid of wrinkles, some products can temporarily help the appearance of lines on your face by plumping them up but even this has limited effects.
    If anti wrinkle creams worked why would anyone bother getting botox or fillers?

You probably wearnt using one that was right for your skin type also different brands vary in how well they absorb into the skin and how well they apply. Can I ask what brand you used?

I like Image sunscreen because its a matt finish, its very light and I find that it absorbs well. I like moogoo because its natural, works well with my skin and is cheaper that image skincare - I have sensitive rosacea prone skin that reacts to everything but tolerates these brands well.

you may prefare a different brand entirely depending on your skin needs

Yes it was soltan from boots. Not very expensive and was more less like normal sunscreen. I might try image, it sounds good. Do you have to buy it online or can you buy it in a shop?

• Advertisement

Yes it was soltan from boots. Not very expensive and was more less like normal sunscreen. I might try image, it sounds good. Do you have to buy it online or can you buy it in a shop?

You can buy it in certain skin clinics and beauty salons, google it and see if their are any stockists near you, maybe get a sample before you buy as its quite dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 davidmichaels

No they don't, they damage you skin though

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

I’m a woman but in my family we tend to have very deep frown lines, my dad and brother both have two thick ‘11’s between their eyebrows.

When I started to get the same frown lines I decided to get botox in that area.

It has been absolutely brilliant, I’ve been getting it for years now. When I told my mam initially she was horrified. Now she admits she wouldn’t have been able to tell, other than maybe noting I wasn't getting any wrinkles!

It wears off after 3 months, I’ve gone 10 months between sessions.

The truth is, spending a fortune on creams is a waste of money. There are definitely some that are good, obviously SPF. Then retinol creams, salicylic, glycolic and hyaluronic acids are also meant to be good.

There are other skin treatments like Ultherapy and laser resurfacing that can have dramatic results but they’re really expensive. Botox is the best bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rologyro wrote: »
    I’m a woman but in my family we tend to have very deep frown lines, my dad and brother both have two thick ‘11’s between their eyebrows.

When I started to get the same frown lines I decided to get botox in that area.

It has been absolutely brilliant, I’ve been getting it for years now. When I told my mam initially she was horrified. Now she admits she wouldn’t have been able to tell, other than maybe noting I wasn't getting any wrinkles!

It wears off after 3 months, I’ve gone 10 months between sessions.

The truth is, spending a fortune on creams is a waste of money. There are definitely some that are good, obviously SPF. Then retinol creams, salicylic, glycolic and hyaluronic acids are also meant to be good.

There are other skin treatments like Ultherapy and laser resurfacing that can have dramatic results but they’re really expensive. Botox is the best bang for your buck.
    I know a few people who have had botox and it looks fine, but is there not a chance of an allergic reaction etc?

I wear a moisturizer with an SPF religiously.

I am getting my cheeks (the ones on my face...:)) lasered this weekend I have spider veins on them I have always been hugely conscious of them

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

gmisk wrote: »
    I know a few people who have had botox and it looks fine, but is there not a chance of an allergic reaction etc?

I wear a moisturizer with an SPF religiously.

I am getting my cheeks (the ones on my face...:)) lasered this weekend I have spider veins on them I have always been hugely conscious of them

I think the allergic reaction question is best answered by the person who is certified to administer the treatment, but I do know that it’s a drug that has been used for decades and known to be safe.

Yea I think it’s good to be thinking about your skin early, because when your older it can be more difficult to do anything about it.

Personally though I love wrinkles on men. I think men only start to look less attractive when they get that jowly look from skin sagging, which doesn’t really start happing until maybe their 40s/50s - lucky feckers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They can sell them because while they don't stop the ageing process, they don't cause any damage either. The entire beauty industry is based on nonsense. Look at all the shampoo ads promising salon ready, glossy hair. I remember an ad for a shampoo that contained "shine boosting technology" :pac: With science like that, I rushed out and bought five bottles :D

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They can sell them because while they don't stop the ageing process, they don't cause any damage either.

I wouldnt be so sure about that, from personal experience, I only began developing issues with my skin when I started using over the counter skincare products as they can cause sensitivity, blocked pores and skin dehydration.
    Lots of these products contain alcohol that dries out the skin over time, this actually contributes to the formation of lines and wrinkles.
    You really do need to be careful, just because something is being sold as a skincare product, it doesn't mean its any good.

Advertisement