Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large collection to sell

Options
  • 02-04-2019 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, long time lurker.
    I have a large console collection that i need to shift, parents attic is being cleared.

From atari 2600 to ps2

What is the easist with least hastle was of selling it all ?
    Try and sell in one lot or piece meal it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Chuck it up on adverts. Have a separate advert for each console.

Part out anything rare/unusual and sell it separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You'll probably make most money selling individually, but will be horribly time consuming and will take ages to shift the most of the stuff -you'll probably be left with the common items unless dirt cheap.

Job lot is a tough sell, would be hard to find a buyer to throw down very hundred or thousand ? for an instance collection which they probably already have a lot off - unless its going cheap to a flipper.

If I was doing it (and might be yet) I would create bundles for each console and include a heap of games - but maybe take out the most rare or expensive ones to sell separately, leave one or two in the bundle to sweeten it if you have them.
    Spent the time upfront to make sure everything is working and you've got all the cables/controllers for it and include them in the photos of the consoles working (give things a bit of a clean too before taking photos ), it should help cut down the number of questions you'll get about the adverts.

Dirty 'untested' consoles don't stand much of a chance against reasonably priced clean & working ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

yeah there's no easy and hassle free to sell it these days. Especially if you're looking for what "it's worth" . Even at half price you'll have a hard time selling it as a job lot on adverts.

I can only repeat what's been said above, separate rare items and make small bundles for the rest.

Most stuff classic stuff from the 16bit era down isn't shifting much anymore and there's been a huge shift of the market towards the n64 / gambecube era of gaming as collectors are now younger or (like yourself) getting out of the hobby or thinning down their collection to stuff they actually want to play.

If I wanted to move stuff fast, I'd pack everything up in a few boxes and bring it to the Rage in Dublin. You won't get ebay prices for it (and most likely will end up walking out with half of it as they've become a lot more selective) but all things considered you'll probably get what you'd get on advert after endless messages and negotiations, shipping etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

vultures-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

vultures-2.jpg

Thanks guys, its been years since i had a look at what i had collected and its its overwhelming the scale if it.

Even star wars figures i put away appeared.

• Advertisement

1/4 parents attic is mine and my "junk"

:-)

Will start getting the lists together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Adverts is a bit slow at the moment.

Your best bet if doing what’s been recommended to you, clean, test and split but it’ll take a while.

If you want to sell on eBay split into lots of 20kg or less, sell in bundles and you’ll get decent prices. Better if you can change your account to be registered in the uk if you have an address to use simply for registration contact eBay on chat, tell them you moved and want to be a uk account. Then when your listings are shown they’re given their proper place.

This is why I said 20kg lots. You can get an post signed and tracked 48 hour delivery to the up for a little under 15 euro for weighs up to 20kg on parcel2go.

Adverts individually will get you more money but will take longer and you have to deal with the idiots that lurk on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

This is why I said 20kg lots. You can get an post signed and tracked 48 hour delivery to the up for a little under 15 euro for weighs up to 20kg on parcel2go.

Bear in mind that's 20kg packaged, not 20kg and then the packaging on top. Seems obvious but so many people overlook that when totting up shipping costs (or even their holiday air-travel weight allowance)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've only ever bothered using eBay for big ticket items that are unique and sell well internationally.

The rest of the world tends not to want to buy the majority of common gaming items from an island when they can get them from their own country with far cheaper postage.

Adverts is generally the most straightforward spot for Irish sellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

How much for that 64 with GoldenEye ? Loved that game !!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've only ever bothered using eBay for big ticket items that are unique and sell well internationally.

The rest of the world tends not to want to buy the majority of common gaming items from an island when they can get them from their own country with far cheaper postage.

Adverts is generally the most straightforward spot for Irish sellers.

I agree, i will have to start looking at prices for simular items and price accordingy. Cex seem to have older consoles games but they never seem to be boxed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Holy crap, you have the NES with the light gun. I have wanted one of them for years.

Wheres the drool smiley :D

Some more bits i have photos for.

Some more bits i have photos for.

Some more stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Kimbot wrote: »
    Holy crap, you have the NES with the light gun. I have wanted one of them for years.

Wheres the drool smiley :D

If you're patient you can get boxed ones quite cheap on ebay these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you're patient you can get boxed ones quite cheap on ebay these days.

Im not patient :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

was the Super Game Boy an adapter for the SNES to play Gameboy games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

That Atari 65XE is worth about £100 from a quick google. Never seen one of those before. Looks like a mini ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Skerries wrote: »
    was the Super Game Boy an adapter for the SNES to play Gameboy games?

Pretty much, but the cart itself is essentially Game Boy hardware as the SNES didn't have the horsepower to emulate one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

FFS

I was lying in bed last night thinking

What if I have to move or if I drop dead, who would deal with all the stuff I've built up over the years. My wife would skip it.

My attic looks just like that. I put an alarm sensor in it a while ago

The thoughts of putting it on a list makes me feel sick.

Why not do a great job of selling it all on adverts maybe your own shop although I spoke to a guy once who says it shifts better at regular user level.

Forget about selling it for half price to some shop. Feck that you probably drove all over the place building it all up to begin with.

I even went to Swords once for a Neogeo, the empty space where a controller should be still hurts!!!

Thing is every collection took time and has a story. Bargains, stuff you paid too much for, stuff that turned out to be rubbish and then the gems.

It shouldn't end up selling as a job IMO that's a lamentable ending that you'll regret.
    Very small market for a job lot. Someone who would buy it might have 80 percent already. Like me, I'd only be interested in an old Atari.

IMO sell it as separate lots, get as much as you can for it then buy something or do something specific with the money.

Close off each bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

You're gonna need to post your adverts username so I can stalk your listings...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm in a similar process myself , took the stuff I liked most out of the collection , boxed the rest up and its sitting in the living room waiting for me to sell it off since the new year .Doing it bit by bit is the only way to get any kind of value for them but its an absolute pain in the arse . Selling as a joblot isnt going to happen realisticlly and trading them in means taking a fraction of what they're worth..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Years ago I was in on a list from a games development company in the UK.

There was a lot of decent collectors there. They had a bit of a thing going where they offered it internally first before eBay. Cut down on shipping.

Maybe go to the next bears and send the attendees a list beforehand (priced) you might shift a lump in one visit and save every on postage + packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I might be interested in that Japanese Mega Drive and any other boxed Sega goodies. If the price is right though...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I might be interested in the Atari 65XE....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to close this thread and recommend a relevant thread be opened on the Marketplace sub-forum.
    If doing that please use the approved template.
    It is only appropriate to sell/buy via the Marketplace, not the main forum, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement