Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the use?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by androphobic:
    America is a multicultural society. By comparison, Ireland is most certainly not.
    </font>

Utter crap. Pull your head out of the sand.

It may not be as prevalent or obvious in more rural areas of the country but parts of Dublin are about as multicultural as it is possible to get and it's only on the increase.

That's got nothing to do with the Irish among us retaining the use of our own language.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

By comparison. One of you said give it a few years or something along those lines, and I agree that Ireland is growing in terms of culture as it is getting more and more integrated.

I don't think I'm really getting anywhere here.. I think I'll let someone else fight the Irish corner for the moment. G'luck. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

There should be a new approach to teaching irish in schools!! Or even just in primary school. It shouldn't be beaten into us. We should learn to love and a respect it! I begining to love it now but thats only because oof my teacher and not the way irish is supposed to be thought.
    So change things for the better now rather then later!

How appropriate you fight like a Cow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Volvagia:

How appropriate you fight like a Cow!!
    </font>

I feel mildly insulted.

You still fight like a dairy farmer.

Okay okay... off topic, I know...

rahh rahh rahh - keep Irish in the leaving cert ... rahh rahh...

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by androphobic:
    I am not suggesting that Maths should not be compulsory at LC level. However, look at the LC Hons Maths course: sequences and series, differentiation, co-ordinate geometry, probability.. there are topics taught which are not necessary unless you intend to use Maths to a great extent at third level.
    For instance, if you choose to do an Arts degree, as many thousands of students do, then it is unlikely you will need Maths. The same goes for foreign languages.

</font>
    I'm studying maths as a subject in college, so I'm terribly biased.

Am, for one thing any subject at hons level is going to be more intensive, in maths this means more abstract.

Secondly you can do maths in an arts degree, so pls don't throw that one about, i've a friend doing his PhD in maths who did his BA in Maths and Irish, relevance is beautiful huh? biggrin.gif

Irish, is a beautiful language, but the manner in which it is taught in schools is appalling at times. I had the misfortune of missing nearly all of my first 3 years of primary school due to illness, I had to learn/teach myself at home. I always loved maths, but Irish never appealled to me, being that young, so I am left in the not too nice position of having little or no basic irish, but due to the leaving cert i can critisise poetry and literature.

I think that no subject should be compulsory after the Junior Cert, a student is under enough pressure without having any subject, regardless of it's relevence being thrust upon them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can't understand people's hatred of the Irish language, apart from the fact that they are thick as planks and couldn't be arsed doing a bit of study. They fact of the matter is, that we were forced from speaking our own language, in our own country during the time of the penal laws by the english and now since we are a free state, the language is more less dead. Why not ban english from the leaving cert? If you are going to give up on the native language of this country purely because you wont get high points in your leaving because you are trash at it then you are in my opinion a sellout. Imagine the French or the Germans having a discussion on whether or not to keep their national languge as part of their exams? We seem to be the only country on the planet who dont want to speak or learn their native language.

People from around the world dont see Ireland as a country in our own right. They see us as Brittish with a funny accent. No distiction or difference between us and our neighbours? Why is this? When i go to Lansdowne road to see Ireland play, i dont see a union jack flying high above the south terrece. I see a tri-colour. I'm proud to see a tri-colour. AND i'm proud of this country and every heritage history and custom that comes with it.

I'm proud of our language.
    Why?
    Because it is OUR language.

:)
    :)--:(:(:(:(-
    :):)---:)-:(
    :(
    :)-:)--:)
    :(:(:(
    :)--:)-:)
    :)---:):)-:(
    :)
    :)--:(:(:(:(-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil3030:
    I can't understand people's hatred of the Irish language, apart from the fact that they are thick as planks and couldn't be arsed doing a bit of study. They fact of the matter is, that we were forced from speaking our own language, in our own country during the time of the penal laws by the english and now since we are a free state, the language is more less dead. Why not ban english from the leaving cert? If you are going to give up on the native language of this country purely because you wont get high points in your leaving because you are trash at it then you are in my opinion a sellout. Imagine the French or the Germans having a discussion on whether or not to keep their national languge as part of their exams? We seem to be the only country on the planet who dont want to speak or learn their native language.

People from around the world dont see Ireland as a country in our own right. They see us as Brittish with a funny accent. No distiction or difference between us and our neighbours? Why is this? When i go to Lansdowne road to see Ireland play, i dont see a union jack flying high above the south terrece. I see a tri-colour. I'm proud to see a tri-colour. AND i'm proud of this country and every heritage history and custom that comes with it.

I'm proud of our language.
    Why?
    Because it is OUR language.

</font>

That post is insanely funny because it is one of the most stupid real posts i have seen in a long time smile.gif
    nice one biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

IMPEACH PEIG

Btw andro, im sure the native americans would love to hear you say they never had their own language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil3030:
    I can't understand people's hatred of the Irish language, apart from the fact that they are thick as planks and couldn't be arsed doing a bit of study.</font>
    Well if you can't at least understand it, maybe you're the one who's 'thick as planks'.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why not ban english from the leaving cert?</font>
    Because English is:
    (A) The primary language of most Irish people.
    (B) Spoken by more of the worlds population than Irish is.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you are going to give up on the native language of this country purely because you wont get high points in your leaving because you are trash at it then you are in my opinion a sellout.</font>
    If you are going to hang on to the language just because the English 'took it', then you're exactly what's wrong with this country.
    Let it go, quit living in the past and look to the future.
    What's the point of teaching the language if the vast majority of people forget every word of it, and continue to speak English?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">We seem to be the only country on the planet who dont want to speak or learn their native language.</font>
    Not really.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">People from around the world dont see Ireland as a country in our own right. They see us as Brittish with a funny accent. No distiction or difference between us and our neighbours? Why is this?
    </font>
    Ignorance?
    It happens with a lot of countries, I'm sure Canadians get pìssed off when you mistake them for Americans, but TBH, I'm not that bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Dead{o}Santa you realy seem to me not to care at all that you are Irish. It seems as though you would be just as happy being totaly under EU rule or still governed by England.

"It happens with a lot of countries, I'm sure Canadians get pìssed off when you mistake them for Americans, but TBH, I'm not that bothered."

You dont see the need to learn Irish and you dont mind people calling you Brittish.

I think a lot of peoples oppinions would change if the lived abroude for a couple of years.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc:
    you realy seem to me not to care at all that you are Irish.</font>
    Please don't make assumptions like that based on my posts, I mightn't care in the same ways as you do, but it doesn't mean I don't care.
    All I'm looking for are reasons/explanations of why we as a nation feel the need to hang on to a language that remains unspoken by the vast majority of the populace?
    Does it make sense to force generation after generation to learn the language - when they're not going to use it?
    I look around and all I see are Irish people speaking English... surely they've abandoned their heritage?
    I'm proud of our history, and everything that being Irish stands for (even the reputation for drinking biggrin.gif), the only thing that gets on my tìts is ; why do so many people hang onto the past?

Does the decline of our so called 'national language' really mean selling out our heritage?
    Do we really need the Irish language to define us as a nation?

I'd have no questions of keeping the Irish language if we were like France/Germany/Spain etc, and our national language 'first' language, but when so many people are finishing school with only very basic Irish (ie. couldn't hold a conversation), what's the point?

I'm not having a go at our country or our heritage, I just wonder what value other people place on our language.
    I'd like to love our language, but I just don't know how.
    I've spent so many years learning the language, and so many years not speaking it, that I wonder if hanging onto it is futile.

I have to agree with a lot of the posters here - the way Irish is taught in schools is totally backwards, which ironically may just be the cause of its downfall.

I already made that point numerous times santa about gaeilge being mistook for our heritage.
    IMO, its history rather than heritage.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    I already made that point numerous times santa about gaeilge being mistook for our heritage.
    </font>
    Isn't it nice that we agree.
    Sorry if I stepped on your toes whitey, I just felt the need to clarify there, since the thread was veering slightly off topic.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    Originally posted by WhiteLancer:

Isn't it nice that we agree.
    Sorry if I stepped on your toes whitey, I just felt the need to clarify there, since the thread was veering slightly off topic</font>

Bleah~ wasnt criticising you in the least, you word it better than i do.

[This message has been edited by WhiteLancer (edited 02-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by WhiteLancer (edited 02-06-2001).]

Advertisement