Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passed speed camera and pulled by Gardai

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rock22 wrote: »
    Would the time be recorded on the fixed fine from the Garda?
    If it matched the time on the speed camera ticket then it would support the OP that it was a single offence.

It won't be exactly the same time to the very second, so if in court how would the OP prove that it wasn't two different offences?

For example, if the guards had stopped him first, and then when they let him go the OP took off down the road at speed could he really claim that was still the same offence? If you are caught speeding are you allowed to speed for the rest of your journey just because you already got caught once?

The OP should tread carefully perhaps, certain judges might assume that he was somebody who got caught but didn't give a toss and went right back to speeding again. They would want to make sure their story and sequence of events is airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

It won't be exactly the same time to the very second, so if in court how would the OP prove that it wasn't two different offences?

For example, if the guards had stopped him first, and then when they let him go the OP took off down the road at speed could he really claim that was still the same offence? If you are caught speeding are you allowed to speed for the rest of your journey just because you already got caught once?

The OP should tread carefully perhaps, certain judges might assume that he was somebody who got caught but didn't give a toss and went right back to speeding again. They would want to make sure their story and sequence of events is airtight.

it could easily be seen as fVck it, I was caught by a camera, so theres no point in slowing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,232 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sorry, what I mean is I braked about 50 meters before the van, and immediately after that I saw the gardai behind me with blues on. It was 200 meters down the road that I was pulled into the hard shoulder speaking with the Garda.

Simple solution. Tell the judge that the guards made you speed by chasing you with their blue lights and sirens blaring. Only for that you would never have gone so fast past the speed van.

And sure you had no idea if it was you or not that the guards were trying to chase....but given that you had a dead body and a kilo of coke in the boot, you weren't going to take any chances. Plus, you always make bad decisions and panic quickly after a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just wait it out.

You will have a choice to eat the additional points and fine or go to Court.

At Court its up to the judge on the Day.

Technically they are separate offences so yes, you can be done twice.

However the judge might strike it out or if he takes a dislike to you could increase it.

Its a lottery unfortunately and you were just unlucky to have been speeding in a spot with a van and a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I would expect that if the OP received a double penalty for the exact same offence, the Op would understandably win an appeal in court.

As an aside Im a big believer in having hidden cameras. There really is little point in having a camera that's visible enough that people can slow on approach and then speed up afterwards, as is always the case. With hidden cameras people would not have the same degree of confidence that they could speed and not get caught. Speed is still the overriding factor in the majority of road traffic incidents, I look forward to the proposed speed limiters being applied by car manufacturers to all new cars sold in the eu in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

reg114 wrote: »
    I would expect that if the OP received a double penalty for the exact same offence, the Op would understandably win an appeal in court.

As an aside Im a big believer in having hidden cameras. There really is little point in having a camera that's visible enough that people can slow on approach and then speed up afterwards, as is always the case. With hidden cameras people would not have the same degree of confidence that they could speed and not get caught. Speed is still the overriding factor in the majority of road traffic incidents, I look forward to the proposed speed limiters being applied by car manufacturers to all new cars sold in the eu in the next couple of years.

Only the OP can testify it was the same offence.

The time on the two tickets is unlikely to be contemporaneous.

I dont believe they are the same offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭rock22

The time on the two tickets is unlikely to be contemporaneous.

I dont believe they are the same offence.

Why do you say that "The time on the two tickets is unlikely to be contemporaneous" ?

Why do you not "...believe they are the same offence" ?

Advertisement