Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Shortage / Potential

Options
  • 20-04-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I am just wondering does would anyone know which subject has the best employment opportunities going into the future?

Im trying to decide between Irish, Maths and History and possibly English but preferably one of the first 3.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Irish... but that might limit your potential for travelling and working abroad.
    You could do 2 subjects in your degree... so maybe Irish and Maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Uvex

Irish... but that might limit your potential for travelling and working abroad.
    You could do 2 subjects in your degree... so maybe Irish and Maths!

Thanks. I thought it would be one of those two alright. My other subject would be PE so just trying to decide on my second one. Won't be looking to travel as of now but maybe Maths would be the better choice just in case. But I feel I am lessening my chances then due to not applying to Gaelcholaiste's as my Irish at present would not be strong enough I don't think.

The joys of indecision !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well if you're gonna be teaching Irish yould better get used to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you're not good at the subject, then you won't get the choice of jobs. You'll pick up a job but you may never get near a HL class. But you're right to steer away from PE being your main subject as that market is flooded.
    History: Keep away. English, always a market for good english teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Irish is the golden ticket, especially in Dublin / the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

There is new teaching course starting this year in NUI Galway - Maths and Computer Science Education - by the time you graduate this subject will be up and running in a lot of schools - 2 good subjects to have - also gives you a plan B in case you don’t like teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Noveight wrote: »

Only in Dublin and the East. Left a permanent position teaching Irish and MFL in the east in 2015 after 12 years experience to move closer home - have been in different schools every year since then due to not my own hours and politics in one school 🙠Great Feedback from WSE Report last year in one school or 5 of your higher level students achieving H1 doesn’t seem to be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Snapgal wrote: »
    Noveight wrote: »

Only in Dublin and the East. Left a permanent position teaching Irish and MFL in the east in 2015 after 12 years experience to move closer home - have been in different schools every year since then due to not my own hours and politics in one school 🙠Great Feedback from WSE Report last year in one school or 5 of your higher level students achieving H1 doesn’t seem to be enough.

Have come to the conclusion that it can be connections that lands someone a job. Even though this is vehemently denied by some I still think it’s the case especially outside of large urban areas where more local politics in general and connections come into play. It shouldn’t be the case but it is and how to even clean up this culture and mentality where to begin!

p.s meant to say keep keep going and put down those achievements on your CV, there must be a school out there for you and who will appreciate and recognise your hard work. Recruitment system badly in need of reform though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Snapgal wrote: »

Good point.

Great shortages of Irish teachers in Dublin/East, completely different story in the West unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Uvex

Thanks for all replies. Just back from holidays so only getting back on now!

I am leaning towards Maths as I enjoy that subject the most out of them and feel I would be a better teacher in a subject I actually enjoy myself.

Will only be applying for jobs in Cork I'd say as I have recently bought a house there. I suppose I can speculate away but won't know until I'm actually applying.

Thanks again for the info...Much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement