Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Registration Form

Options
  • 17-04-2019 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping for some experienced advise/personal experiences on the below.

Basically myself and my wife (possibly not my wife as it transpires :) ) got married 9 months ago and between us being a complete pair of twats and not reading the marriage registration form, only today realised we should have registered the marriage within a month of actually getting married...whoops...we kept putting it off as "we better do that". Yes life was busy (first baby and house) but we have no real excuse other than ignorance/stupidity.

So...does anyone have any experience of same? Are we going to be made have some sort of sham ceremony to legalise the marriage? We did register out intent to marry 3 months before the wedding. The marriage was a humanist ceremony so not a religious one or other...if that makes a difference.

I couldn't find much online, other than it should be returned within a month...I'm going to call the respective office in the morning to explain...meanwhile my (fake :) )wife is panicking!

Appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I think ringing them is your best bet and hopefully it'll be fairly straightforward.

This is all I could find at this link-
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/registration_of_marriage.html

"Under Section 50 of the Civil Registration Act 2004, if the completed MRF is not returned to a Registrar within 56 days of the intended date of marriage recorded on the MRF, the Registrar can serve a notice on you requiring you to return the MRF within 14 days of receiving the notice. If you do not comply with this requirement, the Registrar can serve a notice on you requiring you to attend on a particular date at the office of the Registrar (or other place given in the notice) with the completed MRF. If you are unable to give the MRF to the Registrar when you meet, you have a further 14 days to give it."

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

jellybear wrote: »
    I think ringing them is your best bet and hopefully it'll be fairly straightforward.

This is all I could find at this link-
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/registration_of_marriage.html

"Under Section 50 of the Civil Registration Act 2004, if the completed MRF is not returned to a Registrar within 56 days of the intended date of marriage recorded on the MRF, the Registrar can serve a notice on you requiring you to return the MRF within 14 days of receiving the notice. If you do not comply with this requirement, the Registrar can serve a notice on you requiring you to attend on a particular date at the office of the Registrar (or other place given in the notice) with the completed MRF. If you are unable to give the MRF to the Registrar when you meet, you have a further 14 days to give it."

Thanks jellybear, that's kind of all I could find on it myself.

Just for anyone else in this predicament - I called the office today and its not a problem. They advise to have the form back within a month as if it gets lost its a bigger ordeal/lots of paperwork. They have had people in years after marriage with the marriage registration form, although they did say they wouldn't advise leaving it that long!

Thanks again for the reply!

Advertisement