Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pied/Laughing Kookaburras

• 16-04-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Not sure where to post this,as I didn't think the animals and pets forum was the right place either but Mods please feel free to move it to where you think best.

I thought I might do a weekly update on some of my charges,(the first being the Kookaburras) in the hope that some people might be interested in seeing their development over the next seven weeks or so.I say seven(ish) weeks as this is usually how long it takes them to become fully fledged.

So the first two (of three fertile eggs) hatched last night and this morning, and hopefully the third will hatch this evening without any complications.I have called them 1of3 and 2of3 respectively,and we wait patiently for 3of3.

1of3 weighed 21 grams (a little under average) when it hatched, and 2of3 weighed 25 grams (average weight) but both are feeding as well as can be expected at this early stage. The first three days are the most critical,ensuring they swallow their food properly, and that they don't get a chill when they're out of the brooder whilst being fed.
    Food for the moment consists of finely chopped pinky mice and day old chicks,and feeding times are every two hours.Each chick is weighed before and after every feed to make sure it has had the required amount.Inside the brooder it's a toasty 35c.
    The chicks are blind and won't develop eye slits for about 14 days, with eyes being fully open in around 21 days,and we should see colouring of pin feathers under the skin at around 12 days (all going well).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Nice update! Do you own/rear birds? I am interested in the context :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭OwlEye

Hi gzoladz,no,I don't own these birds as such, I just hand rear them for a friend.
    I could have a few different species at any one time, starting from now until around the late summer.The chicks I get are usually the vulnerable ones,taken from parent birds that have consistently killed/eaten their offspring upon hatching.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There ya go, I learnt a new thing - I didn't know that kookaburras were carnivorous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

OwlEye wrote: »
    Hi gzoladz,no,I don't own these birds as such, I just hand rear them for a friend.
    I could have a few different species at any one time, starting from now until around the late summer.The chicks I get are usually the vulnerable ones,taken from parent birds that have consistently killed/eaten their offspring upon hatching.

Very interesting! Looking forward to further updates :)

I think I only saw kookaburras in the birds of prey centre in Russborough House.

I remember thinking at the time...common kingfishers look cute, however they do have a huge bill in relation to their body and they swallow prey probably 1/3 their lenght. Scale that up about 5 times and add a scarry laugh and your perspective changes significantly :D

Snakes and lizards would be their main prey, supplemented with anything else that scuttles along the ground,small rodents,young chicks,cockroaches etc.( but are also partial to barbecued sausages I'm told).
    They are basically a land race of Kingfisher.

Glad to say 3of3 arrived last night, a very healthy 27 grams and has an appetite worthy of his weight.

• Advertisement

A brief update on the mini dragons.

It's been a week now since 3of3 hatched, and despite being the youngest of the three chicks, it is still the largest. Both 1of3 and 2of3 have quadrupled in weight to 103 grams (again average for the age), but 3of3 is now coming in at 115 grams, a good 10 grams over the average.This morning saw the first castings/pellets from the chicks, regurgitated bits of undigested bone and whatnot.
    This morning also revealed the ever expanding 'five o'clock shadow' of blood quills that will shortly erupt, giving the chicks a somewhat 'hedgehog' appearance before the feathers develop.

The chicks are just over two weeks old now,and hovering around 220g in weight,with feeds being reduced to four times a day. Pin feathers have emerged and eyes have opened,although it will be another few days before they can focus properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They are ugly feckers, aren't they. Its hard to say whether the quills have improved their looks, or not.
    Do you think they will have imprinted on you personally in some way?
    Not trying to worry you or anything, but they might decide to stay with you.

Going by my own experience rearing Kookaburras, creche reared birds tend not to imprint as easily and readily pair and breed. If kept with other birds they will remain hand tame to a certain extent, but as with most creatures, if human interaction is not maintained they will become a little shy.

Advertisement