Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Gas Electricity Providers

Options
  • 22-03-2019 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

I am with Bord Gais Will be changing to Energia in 3 week,

i cant change till my contract is out,

But my question is i am on level pay and i am in credit,

What happens when you switch and your still in credit with your original Provider does that credit go to your new provider ?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will refund you most likely by post or into account registered if direct debit set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Thanks for that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You may need to contact them to ask if they don't do it automatically, however they will do it then - never had an issue beyond that or heard of anyone having one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I was in similar situation with BG a few years ago.
    I expected the credit to appear in my final bill but it wasn't.
    The refund process must be run in a different batch job in the system - i had to contact them seperately to issue the refund.
    They were able to put it back into my bank account then.
    Should be back within 10 days I reckon.

ill see what happens after i switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Bord Gais will keep you on 28% discount( to their standard unit price) if you stay with them. If you've had any missed calls from numbers you didn't recognise lately then that was probably them.

niallers1 wrote: »
    Bord Gais will keep you on 28% discount( to their standard unit price) if you stay with them. If you've had any missed calls from numbers you didn't recognise lately then that was probably them.

No Niall they wont the best offer i got was 7% and 14% they throw in 50 euro of Ur bill and 1000 Tesco points

they didnt really care about existing Customers

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

torrevieja wrote: »
    No Niall they wont the best offer i got was 7% and 14% they throw in 50 euro of Ur bill and 1000 Tesco points

they didnt really care about existing Customers

They phoned me two weeks ago asking if I wanted to stay with them and that they would continue with my 28% discount if I did.

1000 Tesco points is worth €40 if you use them as boost and the 50 euro is not bad. Probably works out similar to my offer (depending on usage)

niallers1 wrote: »
    They phoned me two weeks ago asking if I wanted to stay with them and that they would continue with my 28% discount if I did.

1000 Tesco points is worth €40 if you use them as boost and the 50 euro is not bad. Probably works out similar to my offer (depending on usage)

Well Niall they didn't offer me anything but that's life,

Originally i did accept the new contract offer but then rang up during the Cooling down period as the Energia Offer was far better 6% more off Gas 5% more of Electricty €50, Cash back no Tesco Vouchers

Energia Plan features
    34% off gas & 35% off electricity
    Pay by Direct Debit
    Online account management only - no need for paper bills
    1-year contract - Cancellation fee of €100.00 applies
    €50 cashback added to your Energia account

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I am with Bord Gais Will be changing to Energia in 3 week,

i cant change till my contract is out,

But my question is i am on level pay and i am in credit,

What happens when you switch and your still in credit with your original Provider does that credit go to your new provider ?

Thanks in Advance

I got my refund from Bord Gais back into my bank account. I rang them up to request it and it took about five days I think.

I switched to Electric Ireland for the €150.00 cash back on the electricity :-)

• Advertisement

I got my refund from Bord Gais back into my bank account. I rang them up to request it and it took about five days I think.

I switched to Electric Ireland for the €150.00 cash back on the electricity :-)

Is that offer still on Absolutegrove?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Is that offer still on Absolutegrove?

Seems to still be on their website. Check if the unit rate suits you (it’s fine for me as I’m on my own).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I believe Electric Ireland prices are due to increase by about 4% on 1st April. I am currently with BGE on 27% discount but will be out of contract mid May. From my research it looks like I will be changing to Energia as they will be the cheapest even when taking the cashback offers into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

My 30% discount is due to finish on Thursday, I rang them yesterday and they said the telesales dept would call me back.
    Rang me this morning and offered another 12 months at 30%, no contract.

Currently on 27% discount with BGE. They would have to offer me a 33% discount to match what I could get with Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Currently on 27% discount with BGE. They would have to offer me a 33% discount to match what I could get with Energia.
    Is energia standard rate cheaper than BG?
    Edit:I put 27% into bonkers and energia comes out dearer despite a bigger % discount. Am I missing something?

The Energia best deal (40% discount) is not on bonkers. It is only available directly from the Energia Web site.

If you do the price comparison using switcher.ie Energia come out on top but it states the deal isn't available through switcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Well Niall they didn't offer me anything but that's life,

That's not really fair is it? In your post exactly previous to this you outlined exactly what their offer was!

Advertisement