Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If I could publish the photos I have in my head, I'd have a permanent post in National Geographic. But alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Just watched a Sparrowhawk chasing and mobbing a Hooded Crow. Wonder was the crow threatening the hawks nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Just watched a Sparrowhawk chasing and mobbing a Hooded Crow. Wonder was the crow threatening the hawks nest?

Possibly -- but not necessarily. Corvids and raptors have an uneasy relationship at best and rarely tolerate each other in the immediate vicinity, nest or no nest.

Hoodies are often the mobsters, rather than the mobbed... so the sprawk may well have been deploying a pre-emptive strike to dissuade aggression from the crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

KJ wrote: »
    There are pine martens in Slieve Gullion forest which isn't miles away but I assumed pine martens were bigger too. I just wish I had had my phone with me at the time.

Yes pine marten aint far off the size of a cat, compared to a stoat which is closer to rat size. Being a bit brazin, and standing on its hind legs points at stoat, so I recon you are correct in your I,d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

:rolleyes: Here we go again!

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/coypus-spotted-in-leitrim-species-alert

And I thought April 1st was tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Here we go again!

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/coypus-spotted-in-leitrim-species-alert

And I thought April 1st was tomorrow.

That's 2017. Same time they were allegedly seen all over the country lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

:D Damn! You're right, Eddie! (It was a Long night, and I'm not quite tea'd up yet!) It's that bloody Jigsaw, again! I'm normally the first one to check the dates on news reports too.

(Puts the 220's back in the shed)

Stigura wrote: »
    :D Damn! You're right, Eddie! (It was a Long night, and I'm not quite tea'd up yet!) It's that bloody Jigsaw, again! I'm normally the first one to check the dates on news reports too.

(Puts the 220's back in the shed)

Lol!! I recon most of these other sightings are misidentifications. I don't think they've spread too far from the Cork area. Saying that, animals can make good use of rivers to travel good distances in short periods of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Eddie B wrote: »
    Lol!! I recon most of these other sightings are misidentifications. I don't think they've spread too far from the Cork area. Saying that, animals can make good use of rivers to travel good distances in short periods of time

The only valid sightings were those in the Cork area and it seems to have been sorted.

What gets me is a) how people can mistake native species for improbable foreign species and b) how the media & public run with these stories.

The only valid sightings were those in the Cork area and it seems to have been sorted.

What gets me is a) how people can mistake native species for improbable foreign species and b) how the media & public run with these stories.

Yes it's madness, but the vast majority of the public have little or no knowledge about wildlife in general. Not even our native species. It's sad to see how distant we are from from the nature around us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

very few insects about?

bees wasps hoverflies etc...or is it still too early?

A fair few around here, but it is still early.
    fryup wrote: »
    very few insects about?

bees wasps hoverflies etc...or is it still too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I've seen a few too, but still early in the season. I've seen quite a good few bumble bees. Saw a lone red admiral over the weekend.

Have had a blue bottle in the house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,647 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Seen a Swallow yesterday while visiting my parents near Kill Village in North Kildare. Poor divil will have it tough for the next few days given the latest forecast:(

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

How about bumble bees are they on the decrease?

frosty123 wrote: »
    How about bumble bees are they on the decrease?

Too early to tell this year, Generally their numbers are in decline, although we had unusually high numbers of several species here last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Hearing the first Chiffchaffs around here with about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

First sighting of a swallow today near Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Heard my first yellowhammer last week , rural Kildare Wicklow border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Saw my first swallow today, Co.Carlow. I always get a thrill when I see the first one of spring.

• Advertisement

Spent an hour watching lapwing in Kildare yesterday, they really make such a wonderful sound.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kamili wrote: »
    Spent an hour watching lapwing in Kildare yesterday, they really make such a wonderful sound.

Where were these? I'd love to see one. Also just in case, there's a lapwing survey on bioD Ireland website to monitor numbers of lapwings this summer.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Where were these? I'd love to see one. Also just in case, there's a lapwing survey on bioD Ireland website to monitor numbers of lapwings this summer.

PM Sent :)

I must actually submit the sighting there, meant to do it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Pair of lapwings flying around the n7 where the road works are where the big pond is as you drive southbound.
    Lullymore hertage park is a good place to see them out on the board walk I use to work there.

whats that fine yellow dust about the place?

is it dandelion pollen?

It's fine yellow dust blown up from the Sahara desert.

The St Mark's flies are on the wing today - right on thine for St Mark's day on Thursday.

whats that fine yellow dust about the place?

is it dandelion pollen?

We had the cars covered in it all weekend here, and that's before the Saharan sand blew in. In our case it's tree pollen and the levels were reported as very high recently.

^^^^^^^^^^^

any particular tree?

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

any particular tree?

Here it was birch and whitebeams, mostly.

Advertisement