Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No first dance but what first song?

Options
  • 14-03-2019 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey guys we are not having a first dance. OH doesn't want the attention. So any ideas of a first song that could get everyone involved ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Keco wrote: »
    Hey guys we are not having a first dance. OH doesn't want the attention. So any ideas of a first song that could get everyone involved ?

Thanks

Thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Keco wrote:

Your DJ should have a good selection of choices for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The birdie song ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

I would play. .

Blues Brothers - Everybody Needs Somebody
    Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
    The Strokes - Last Night
    Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Why not go with something that means something to the two of you.

Every other song can get them involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tough one, that soon after dinner alot of folk might not want to get straight onto the dance floor.

Instead of a solo first dance, could you have a meaningful song where you dance together for the first 10-15 seconds and then tell the Best Man and Maid Of Honour to come straight in. The floor fills with couples really quickly then.

As a wedding dj I've noticed it's becoming more common for people not to have a first dance. I recommend that they choose something that we can invite the guests up to join them on the floor for a a sort of defined start to the dancing otherwise things can take a while to get going organically. Which is cool with some people whereas others expect dancing from the very first song. Some good choices are 'it must be love' 'got my mind set on you' 'dancing in the dark' something good from the 80s that everyone likes generally works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Let's Dance by David Bowie. We had it as the second song at our wedding and it got everyone dancing.

Faith wrote: »
    Let's Dance by David Bowie. We had it as the second song at our wedding and it got everyone dancing.

Great choice, Absolute Beginners has been a first dance for a few of my weddings as has Modern love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thanks

If you’ve hired a professional wedding band or DJ then once you’ve told them that you and your spouse won’t be getting up to start the dancing, then they’ll know what songs are best for getting people on the dance floor. A Queen medley is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Has to be
    Backstreet boys - I want it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

We had maniac 2000 😀 It really got people in the party dancing form , such a floor filler

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I Got A Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

You'll never get away with no first dance. People will stand around waiting for you both to take to the floor.

Best have the bridal party, parents, siblings all under order to get up immediately if your OH won't do a first dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

We asked the band for suggestions. They suggested they play "Happy" first and also announced that we wanted everyone up dancing with us.

My bridesmaids, mother, father, aunts, family etc. all got up with us right away and we told the kids what song it was so they were really excited and were up right away jumping and dancing around.

After about a minute everyone else joined in then. I really feel like it will only work if you have told all your family to get up dancing with you. My mother also has a lot of crazy friends so they were up to get everyone started too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Keco

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My mother is going mad we aren't having one but I have spoken to too many people who either regret doing one or felt like fools up there on their own. My fiancé would feel so awkward I couldn't put him through it. Still haven't thought of one but will actually email the band now and see if they have any suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My mother is going mad we aren't having one but I have spoken to too many people who either regret doing one or felt like fools up there on their own. My fiancé would feel so awkward I couldn't put him through it. Still haven't thought of one but will actually email the band now and see if they have any suggestions

That's her problem really. It's none of her business. It's just a pity that she even knows about it. Tell her you will be doing a routine (Friends - Monica and Ross) and you are keeping it as a surprise...!

Seriously, of course you don't have to have a first dance. There shouldn't be anything included 'for the sake of it' on your wedding day that causes stress to either of you, the bride and groom.

From now on, I suggest, nod and smile and say nothing about details that don't concern her or anyone else.

Go with whatever suits both of you, from what has been suggested, and have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If your mother wants to get up and jig around the floor while people clap awkwardly then I’m sure no one will stop her.
    Honestly, I sincerely hope that the fact that you’re not getting up for 2 1/2 minutes of shuffling around doesn’t ruin her, sorry I mean YOUR, big day.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was at a wedding last week where there was no first dance and what happened was the DJ started the music at a kinda low level and then called everyone on to the floor and when everyone was up, switched to a louder more up-tempo song to get everyone dancing. I thought it worked really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Our wedding DJ had a policy of kicking off with a half hour of solid Abba. He swore it was the best way to get lots of feet on the floor quickly. He was right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Rock the Boat

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

No Matter what you decide to do for your wedding you can't please everyone!
    My in laws were not impressed that we were not having a church , people thought it was weird that we only wanted one bridesmaid and a best man . And that we wanted all food to be finished for 8:30 so we had the night to dance away !
    We didn't listen to anyone we were having our wedding day the way we wanted it , it was for us and we just did everything our way !!
    I mean come on I waited 13 years for the ring and 15 for my wedding 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Please ignore your mam or anyone else who says you “have” to do anything on your wedding. The only thing you have to do is say “I do”.

We didn’t have a first dance song as we felt exactly as you do. For us, the idea of the two of us slow dancing for 4 minutes with everyone watching us like a pair of awkward lemons just wasn’t going to happen ever.

Our DJ called everyone up to the dance floor and the song we had picked started quietly and then went into a full dancy song which was a great way to get the dancing started. As it is, the song we had actually means a lot to us both so while it’s a mad dance vibe, it was a bit emotional for us both listening to the lyrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

You'll never get away with no first dance. People will stand around waiting for you both to take to the floor.

Best have the bridal party, parents, siblings all under order to get up immediately if your OH won't do a first dance.

I genuinely do not understand the idea that the OP and her groom will never get away with no first dance.

I presume most people attending weddings are there because they are very close to/ in some cases related to the couple. They are not there to put pressure on them to do this that or the other.
    In this instance, I presume those who know the groom well, know that the 'first dance' might be his personal idea of hell. So why would they stand around waiting for you both to take to the floor.

Once again, OP, did whatever suits you both best and have a great day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think the only reason people would stand around waiting for the couple to get on the dance floor, is because it's tradition and they don't want to infringe on that. However if you let people know that you don't plan to partake in this tradition (even just a few close family/friends), then everyone else will assume it's "safe" to get up on the dance floor once they see others doing it.

Advertisement