Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer hook-up, wiring question.

Options
  • 17-07-2019 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

I have a towbar on my car with a 7way connection, question is where would I buy a cheap relay? It's only to tow a small trailer with a basic lighting board, so I don't want to be spending a lot. I think Halfords sell them for €40 or €50 which is too expensive (on top of the price of our tow bar), so who sells cheap basic relays?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

What's the relay for?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

What's the relay for?

To stop canbus detecting load and turning dash into Christmas tree.

If you want cheap then ebay is the best bet.

Such a unit is called a Demux or Demultiplexer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

To stop canbus detecting load and turning dash into Christmas tree.

If you want cheap then ebay is the best bet.

Why would canbus have issue with load from a trailer outlet which was put there for that reason?

Why would canbus have issue with load from a trailer outlet which was put there for that reason?

Put there by who? it happens all the time with DIY scotchlok and cowboy installs.

OP may be talking about a relay to run caravan fridge, (attempt to) charge caravan battery or run.
    I'm sure they will be along to tell us any minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭blackbox

Put there by who? it happens all the time with DIY scotchlok and cowboy installs.

OP may be talking about a relay to run caravan fridge, (attempt to) charge caravan battery or run.
    I'm sure they will be along to tell us any minute.

OP said lighting board for small trailer in first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have a towbar on my car with a 7way connection, question is where would I buy a cheap relay? It's only to tow a small trailer with a basic lighting board, so I don't want to be spending a lot. I think Halfords sell them for €40 or €50 which is too expensive (on top of the price of our tow bar), so who sells cheap basic relays?

Thanks in advance.

30-40 quid is about what you will pay for them. If your getting a towbar fitted the fitter may have a deal for lighting circuit if he’s not already fitting it ( they usually do)

Newer cars don’t take too kindly to tapping into the lighting circuit to power trailer lights an hence you need a relay unit that senses when the light is on and sends a signal to turn on the trailer lights. Might be worth checking with some of the towbar fitters, my car (BMW 5 series) needed a canbus connected system which was more expensive than the usual relay unit.

Unfortunately it’s the law to have lights on a trailer no matter how small it is so if you can get a kit for 30-50 quid then it’ll save you a lot of hassle and no doubt a fine if caught.

blackbox wrote: »
    OP said lighting board for small trailer in first post.

And since they posted in this forum it could be a trailer tent I'm sure they will enlighten us any second now.

Advertisement