Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat bringing clothes home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

May have even come from inside someones house, its not unknown for cats to wander into other people houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

AulWan wrote: »
    Now, if only there was a way to stop every creature that poops in your garden from doing so, foxes, mice, rats, etc and someone should control those feckin' birds that keep pooping all over my washing, windows and car.

Fair play to you OP for looking for the owner of the stolen items, hopefully if you find them they have a sense of humour.

I hope so too as many around here don't (have a sense of humour)

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I hope so too as many around here don't (have a sense of humour)

And an awful lot have no sense of responsibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

God the amount of humourless arsebags in here with their 'control your cat' sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

A GPS will tell you where your cat has been, not where she has stolen things from, I think...
    Furthermore, a GPS is subject to some error (i.e. location inaccuracy), if not enough satellites are received or if the reception is poor.

That's true, though I'm hoping that the GPS will give me a route that she took, and I can backtrack that route (as it might be a safe assumption that after taking something she comes straight home, rather than wanders around for hours dragging it) and start with those houses first.

Was thinking I'll also put a picture of the jersey in the local shop, as it's used a lot by residents of all the estates in the area.

• Advertisement

So, what's the plan to stop the cat taking other peoples belongings in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

bubblypop wrote: »
    So, what's the plan to stop the cat taking other peoples belongings in future?

He is going to track it with a GPS to discover where he is going first.

What's your plan for not being such a jackass?

Mod note, j mysterio banned for a week for repeated offensive, angry posting. We are trying to create an ethos of respectful posting in this forum, so this style of posting is just not allowed. It's also quite disappointing to see personal abuse of another poster getting thanks from boards members.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Over the years we've had several cats. Rupert, Tom, Taz and Garfield. Not one of them came when they were called. The only sound they answered to was the fridge door opening.

I'm on the phone at the moment but I think there's some law going back to Victorian times that excludes cats from the control of animal laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My neighbours kitten (now big cat) has taken to visiting me (it has now almost moved it). One night I came home & was lying in bed & had a total freak attack when I noticed that a large item had been mived from downstairs to upstairs behind the desk in one of the rooms . After jumping out of bed and flinging my clithes on to leave the house I SAW the creature in action - the little cat had actuallky dragged a large heavy double blanket up two flights of stairs and made a nest for itself behind the desk with it. I nearly had a heart attack. I thought there was someone lying on the ground wrapped up in it & moving it to hide themselves from me!!! Same cat often finds and drags the same doubke blanked around the house after it - you couldn't make it up!!! Seems to be its favourite thing & I can't figure how it can manage the weight of it nor how it dosn't damage its teeth/fangs!!!

Anyway - just saying they can be very determined and perserverent and extremely and surprisingly strong!!!!

OP - can you create a washing line in a front window with the items hanging on it and an apology and picture of the cat & say 'is this yours or do you recognise your stuff or cat thief about please claim your belongings? Someone might walk past and see it or tell their neighbour - no doubt someones washing machine/husband/dog os getting the balme - they might be glad of a happy ending and to get their stuff back in a lighthearted way.
    !!!!

Alternatively you coild sent a pic of your cat and some of the items (not the shirt!) To your local newspaper and no doubt they would love to run with a fun local story like this and help solve the mystery and reuinite the people with theor property! You could tag it with have you CCTV my cat & encourage people to looka their cctv - could get some very funny footage or images -and grt a good idea of where its been!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

shar01 wrote: »
    Over the years we've had several cats. Rupert, Tom, Taz and Garfield. Not one of them came when they were called. The only sound they answered to was the fridge door opening.

I'm on the phone at the moment but I think there's some law going back to Victorian times that excludes cats from the control of animal laws.

with mine a ringpull sound or the word chicken does it..

and yes, you are correct.

• Advertisement

My neighbours kitten (now big cat) has taken to visiting me (it has now almost moved it). One night I came home & was lying in bed & had a total freak attack when I noticed that a large item had been mived from downstairs to upstairs behind the desk in one of the rooms . After jumping out of bed and flinging my clithes on to leave the house I SAW the creature in action - the little cat had actuallky dragged a large heavy double blanket up two flights of stairs and made a nest for itself behind the desk with it. I nearly had a heart attack. I thought there was someone lying on the ground wrapped up in it & moving it to hide themselves from me!!! Same cat often finds and drags the same doubke blanked around the house after it - you couldn't make it up!!! Seems to be its favourite thing & I can't figure how it can manage the weight of it nor how it dosn't damage its teeth/fangs!!!

Anyway - just saying they can be very determined and perserverent and extremely and surprisingly strong!!!!

OP - can you create a washing line in a front window with the items hanging on it and an apology and picture of the cat & say 'is this yours or do you recognise your stuff or cat thief about please claim your belongings? Someone might walk past and see it or tell their neighbour - no doubt someones washing machine/husband/dog os getting the balme - they might be glad of a happy ending and to get their stuff back in a lighthearted way.
    !!!!

Alternatively you coild sent a pic of your cat and some of the items (not the shirt!) To your local newspaper and no doubt they would love to run with a fun local story like this and help solve the mystery and reuinite the people with theor property! You could tag it with have you CCTV my cat & encourage people to looka their cctv - could get some very funny footage or images -and grt a good idea of where its been!!!

wonderful post; thank you.

Graces7 wrote: »
    with mine a ringpull sound or the word chicken does it..

and yes, you are correct.

'My' cat , which is not my cat but has climbed in the window to escape the warm, has pulled the damp fluffy bath mat from the bathroom into another room to lie on it in the sun and is now muaowing at me to go upstairs and pet him/her to complete his happiness. Whoever said its a dogs life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

!!!!

Some good suggestions there, thanks. Unfortunately my house is the last house in the estate at the end of a cul de sac, so we don't get any foot traffic past us. But if I can't find who owns this stuff I'll have to get more creative in getting the word out there.

jasonb wrote: »
    Some good suggestions there, thanks. Unfortunately my house is the last house in the estate at the end of a cul de sac, so we don't get any foot traffic past us. But if I can't find who owns this stuff I'll have to get more creative in getting the word out there.

You could do a teaser campaign! Put posters up on lamposts with pics of the items & lost /can' t find my way home/catnapped on it & see who replies! Put them up on the estate backing onto yiurs yoo & see of you can re-home them back to where they belong!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Cat burglar !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

mordeith wrote: »
    Yeah, those wild animals really need to be curtailed. Good thing there are people's pet cats to keep down that pesky bird population.

Plenty of feral cats about too. Don't assume every cat you see is someone's pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

The items mentioned are not intimate.

A football jersey is very expensive though. And probably well loved by the owner.

This isn’t funny at all. I’d be so angry if it were my things going missing.

I think it’s one of the funniest things I’ve heard in a long time , pretty uncommon behavior for a kitten , sometimes you just have to see the lighter side of things !
    But I’m sure OP will be able to track the owners soon & make amends ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I think it’s one of the funniest things I’ve heard in a long time , pretty uncommon behavior for a kitten , sometimes you just have to see the lighter side of things !
    But I’m sure OP will be able to track the owners soon & make amends ;)

I don't really find it amusing. If it was me I'd be looking for the cats owner to replace the items completely and op should be prepared that the items owner might not be pleased.

I really wouldn't want stuff back if it had been dragged around by a roaming cat.

So sick of people leaving their animals to do as they please. My experience is the cats (and in some cases dogs) are left to **** everywhere and wander into people's houses and gardens as they please.

Can't leave doors or windows opened here at all due to the local 'pets'. I don't want to have to put up with other peoples pets nor should I have to.

• Advertisement

any progress OP?

any progress OP?

Not much yet. GPS collar is on the way. Have printed a poster for the local shop and will put it up this evening. She's brought back two socks over the last couple of days, but nothing last night. Hopefully the Poster/GPS will help me get this stuff back to the owner(s).

Not much yet. GPS collar is on the way. Have printed a poster for the local shop and will put it up this evening. She's brought back two socks over the last couple of days, but nothing last night. Hopefully the Poster/GPS will help me get this stuff back to the owner(s).

Well done! You are doing great..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If you've a local garda station, it might be worth mentioning to them, especially with the football jersey. Well done for your diligence.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    If you've a local garda station, it might be worth mentioning to them, especially with the football jersey. Well done for your diligence.

I was actually thinking that myself. We're friendly with a couple of the local Gardai so I'm going to get in touch with them to see if it's been reported to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I was actually thinking that myself. We're friendly with a couple of the local Gardai so I'm going to get in touch with them to see if it's been reported to them.

Did you try this?
    Do you have a local Facebook group you could post pictures of the clothes on as long as its not underwear? Like a community alert group or something.

Did you try this?

I'd missed that, thanks! I have a FB account but don't really use it much. Will look and see if there's a group for our area...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My dog used to bring home pairs of shoes, she had a good collection of about 5 at one point.

Would sit on the grass chewing at them, the owners never came looking for them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

My dog used to bring home pairs of shoes, she had a good collection of about 5 at one point.

Would sit on the grass chewing at them, the owners never came looking for them !

Great neighbour........ How did your dog manage to do this? Do you let her stray too?

• Advertisement

clever dog..

Advertisement