Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new caravan hepl!

• 09-07-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi everyone were buying a new caravan but a bit confused about a few things regarding toeing. The caravan i am thinking about buying has a laden weight of 1300kg. My car an opel zafira 2008 1.6 petrol weights 2090kg., am i legally ok to toe this as its under 3500kg?. Aswell we will have 7 seats occupied in the car and luggage etc is this also ok? The dealer we are thinking about buying from says were fine but im not so sure:confused::confused:. Any help is greatly appreciated......

Thanks Graham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Max between both has to be 3,500 or under otherwise you need the BE licence.

What is the cars towing capacity as that will also decide what it can or can't tow....

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

Max between both has to be 3,500 or under otherwise you need the BE licence.

What is the cars towing capacity as that will also decide what it can or can't tow....

Hi toeing capcity is 3100. So if i go over this i presume the car is in trouble from a pulling point of view? is it legal if i am over the cars toeing capacity but under the combined 3500kg?

wuben wrote: »
    Hi toeing capcity is 3100. So if i go over this i presume the car is in trouble from a pulling point of view? is it legal if i am over the cars toeing capacity but under the combined 3500kg?

You can't pull a trailer heavier then the vehicle is plated to tow....

You may have to look at likes of outlander or pajero etc..... Then the issue is your licence would need to be BE.

You can't pull a trailer heavier then the vehicle is plated to tow....

You may have to look at likes of outlander or pajero etc..... Then the issue is your licence would need to be BE.

So the toeing capcity just refers to weight of the trailer been toed or the combined weight of car and trailer? So if the caravan weigh is 1300kg and toeing capacity is 3100kg then I am good to go? Sorry if i sound stupid I'm just confused

The important bits are:

1) Make sure the Opel permitted braked trailer towing capacity of the Zafira is at least 1300 which I suspect it is. And:
    2) The fully laden train weight stays under 3.5 tons. I suspect the Zafira has unladen weight of about 1500 kg, and max fully laden (gross) weight of 2090. That means that with the trailer (caravan) plated at 1300 kg the gross train weight is 3390 kg i.e. you are legal with just the B licence.

Just make sure you don't overload the car or the caravan past their permitted gross weights.

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    The important bits are:

1) Make sure the Opel permitted braked trailer towing capacity of the Zafira is at least 1300 which I suspect it is. And:
    2) The fully laden train weight stays under 3.5 tons. I suspect the Zafira has unladen weight of about 1500 kg, and max fully laden (gross) weight of 2090. That means that with the trailer (caravan) plated at 1300 kg the gross train weight is 3390 kg i.e. you are legal with just the B licence.

Just make sure you don't overload the car or the caravan past their permitted gross weights.

The permitted braked trailer towing capacity is 1150kg. if i buy a caravan thats 970kg unladen roughly 1300 laden am i still legal?

I rang the RSA they told me that the towing capacity of the car would refer to the laden weight of the caravan. conflicting information everywhere:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I rang the RSA they told me that the towing capacity of the car would refer to the laden weight of the caravan. conflicting information everywhere:confused:

Not conflicting.. From RSA website

"Is it ok to tow a trailer that’s heavier than my vehicle’s towing capacity if the trailer is unloaded?
    It's OK to tow a trailer whose DGVW exceeds a vehicle’s towing capacity provided the combined weight of the trailer and the load being carried does not exceed the specified towing capacity of the drawing vehicle."

At 1300kg you are not legal... or safe if it exceeds the specified towing capacity and would be putting yourself, your passengers and other road users in danger. You need to find the specified towing capacity of your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

The permitted braked trailer towing capacity is 1150kg. if i buy a caravan thats 970kg unladen roughly 1300 laden am i still legal?

No, because 1300 is more than 1150. You need to buy a caravan that has a plated max weight of 1150kg or less (even if you don't put anything in it, the plated capacity is what matters). Or, get a different tow car

• Advertisement

That's not conflicting, they're saying the towing capacity of the car (1150kg in your case) must be capable of towing the max gross weight of the caravan (1300kg on your case).

1150 kg braked towing capacity is surprisingly low for a mid size car. I just randomly picked some peugeots and the smaller 2008 1.2 Puretech can tow 1240 kg and 3008 which is in the same class as Zafira can tow your required 1300 kg.

Unfortunate but true.

I found out the actual towing capacity is even lower for my model 1050kg 😑 so we have decided to wait till we get a new car to make a purchase 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Sorry to drag up an old thread but just want to clear things up

I Have a peugeot 3008 1.6 with a towing capacity of 1300kg . I was looking at a caravan with MRO of 1300kg. So effectively, I can tow the caravan with absolutely nothing in it, but cant if it was loaded up to its maximum permitted weight? (1460kg)

That vehicle can't tow that caravan with even 1kg of additional load - that's completely unrealistic, any water or gas bottle etc on board and your insurance could be void.

The max plated weight is also what's applicable for the 3,500kg limit for a b licence, regardless of caravan being empty or not.

1300kg empty is a heavy caravan, you could be able to find something with a max plated weight below 1300kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Noted. Not massively on the lookout but saw a lovely van for very reasonable and got me thinking!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've found lately that the smaller caravans are going for a bigger price. People don't want to spend the money on diesel towing a big caravan. And younger drivers don't have BE licences and have to stay below 3.5 ton. That's probably why one with an MTPLM of almost 1500kg would be a nice bargain. I would be looking at MTPLM, not min weight when shopping. You're going to end up throwing in bikes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't think its diesel that's the obstacle, I think a big caravan is daunting to pull, for anyone but particularly the influx of new people to the market with no towing experience what so ever, pulling 24 foot 7.5 foot wide of caravan down country roads is often best for those with alot of road experience

Advertisement