Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual situation SUSI grant dependent or independent applicant, help please..

Options
  • 07-07-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hiya,

I'm really stuck and would love any sort of guidance anyone could give me and would greatly appreciate it, honestly!

I'm (hopefully) returning as a mature student to study nursing in September. I've received my first choice offer and am so shocked and delighted(first in family) but this grant application is really putting a downer on the whole thing.

I've lived with my nanny, grandad and aunty mostly since I was born, (roughly 5 years with my single mother and siblings) ..
    (father never in the picture). I've been back living with my nanny over 6 years now and in that time my grandad sadly passed so it's just my nanny, aunty and myself.

The grant application is confusing me as it doesn't allow for myself to be classified as dependent on my nanny as she is not my parent or legal guardian (although practically reared me) and I can't be classed as an independent applicant as my nanny's name is on the rent as she's the tenant under local authority housing for decades now and all utility bills are also in her name. Myself and my aunty just hand up our money weekly and nanny does the rest, bless her.

Whether I apply as a dependent or independent it shouldn't make a difference as in rate of payment awarded as my nanny is on the state pension and my mother jobseekers allowance. I'm just terrified no matter what I class myself as I've no chance even though well under the income threshold just because I don't fall into a particular box. The rules are very black and white and my situation just isn't that, like many others.
    I'm living with a family member that isn't a parent or legal guardian that all bills are in their name, so what does that make me?
    I'm wrecking my brain here and trying to look for information everywhere to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice that could help me out? I'd really really really appreciate it, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

You should be entitled to apply as an independent, providing you satisfy the other criteria.

However, you may find it difficult to prove independent living to their satisfaction. The documents required can be seen here: https://susi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Document-Requirement-Guidelines-in-Support-of-your-Grant-Application-2018-2019.pdf (at page 4)

You will not be disqualified because you don't fall into a "particular box". If you are not classed as independent by SUSI, then you are dependent by default. There is no third category.

In a way, you are lucky (providing that your mother is willing to provide her details for the application), because your entitlement will be the same either way.

Your best bet is contact SUSI directly, explain your situation and what documentation you have, and ask them what status you should apply under. Worst case scenario, they will say apply as a dependant using your mothers income.

Their contact details are:
    Email: support@susi.ie
    Phone: 0761 08 7874

Advertisement