Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King George Ascot 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Morgans wrote: »
    We can all read racerecords and whichever handicapping system you want to use. Can you name the horse that beat Nijinksy in the Arc without googling or what was second in the Leger to him? For the record, O'brien got huge criticism for leaving the arc behind Nijinksy at Doncaster. As for the Oaks, Irish Oaks are Breeders Cup Turf being competitive. Jeez, the Irish Oaks competitive. Its irrelevant.

One factor you seem to have missed is how unusual it is for a horse of Frankel class to race at 4, and to have it said so early in his 3 yo career that he would do so (Partly because of the health of Khalid Abdullah and Henry Cecil). If you are only having a three year old career, you can afford to race more often - be it Nijinksy, Rock of Gilbraltar, Nashwan, Dancing Brave, Sea the Stars. It was not a lack of consitution, it was a planned out career. At the moment, Frankel has raced more than Enable.

The idea that Frankel needed to come to Ireland to beat SNOW FAIRY (of all winners) in the irish Champion. The idea that they ducked the challenge for teh easy option of beating Cirrus Des Aigles (check out his heavy ground form, and probably the best 12f horse in Europe at the time) on heavy ground in Ascot was the easy option just shows how utterly ridiculous that criticism is.

The hype around Frankel can be hard to take but he is a long way ahead of Enable and anything else in the 21st century.

Enable is a great filly not on ratings but on her ability to battle to win G1 races. She doesn't enter into my thoughts of who the great racehorses are.

As for Frankel his legacy is a lot more complicated than just looking at his ratings and saying yeah he's the greatest.

It's not the idea that Frankel needed to come to Ireland to beat Snow Fairy that mattered, it's the idea that he needed to travel outside of England to show his durability that mattered. Wear and tear, racing when conditions and timing are not optimum take their toll on horses. Frankel's 4yo career was all about his running on his team's preferred terms of timing and trips.

I'm glad that you sniggered at Snow Fairy because that's another point about Frankel's beating of Cirrus Des Aigles, it was 3L superior to Snow Fairy's Leopardstown form.

Was Snow Fairy actually less than 3L inferior to all the brilliant 10f champions of the ages?

Was Excelebration superior to Giants Causeway, George Washington? There's a list of great milers that Excelebration was elevated over ( grade inflation that elevated Frankel )

It feels churlish to crab the definitely brilliant Frankel but at every turn his status was inflated so his greatest ever status is slightly dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yes Excelebration and Farhh were better than George Washington (?????wow) and Giant's Causeway. A more interesting race would be Excelebration vs King's Best from the Guineas.

Connections planned Frankel's 4yo career from half way through his 3yo career and didn't deviate for it to please people. People with no connection to the horse's desire to see him win every group race from 6f to 14f. Ballydoyle could take a leaf from Juddmonte's book in getting their horses into the right races.

EDIT - The Snow Fairy comparison - I think Frankel got away with things in the Champion stakes. First time it was any form of struggle, since the St James Palace. No horse has run more 135+ performances. You can argue the toss over a pound or two but for sustained brilliant performance, he is the best by that marker.

And it is churlish. When Tiger Woods was asked if he was the best ever, he said 'im in the argument'. That's all you can do. There will never be a discussion about the greatest thoroughbreds without Frankel in the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Yeah, mostly nonsense. The 12f thoroughbred has been propped up by Ballydoyle for decades. It used to be that the Ascot Gold Cup was the only race that mattered. They don't breed for 12f in USA, France's derby has been reduced, and 10f is worldwide the blend of speed and stamina that classicly sought. Chapman's ignorant comment today that Anthony Van Dych wont be seen again, and is more likely to sire a Triumph winner, shows the current regard for 12f horses these days. The old joke about O'Brien was all his derby horses could win a July Cup as it was attractive for breeders to promote their horses as such.

And I can say he was campaigned perfectly. In fact, I think he was just about done with racing in his last race, where he was mulish, almost refused and boiled over beforehand.

So you’d rather own a horse that wins an SJP, a Sussex and a QEII than a horse who wins a Derby, a KG and an Arc? The Derby might have declined in importance insofar as the breeding goes but I’d much rather own a Sea The Stars or an Enable than a champion miler.

And I know the old O’Brien ‘he’d win a July Cup’ nonsense but Frankel would genuinely have won a July Cup and he’d have probably won an Arc.

So you’d rather own a horse that wins an SJP, a Sussex and a QEII than a horse who wins a Derby, a KG and an Arc? The Derby might have declined in importance insofar as the breeding goes but I’d much rather own a Sea The Stars or an Enable than a champion miler.

And I know the old O’Brien ‘he’d win a July Cup’ nonsense but Frankel would genuinely have won a July Cup and he’d have probably won an Arc.

Me personally, i'd like a horse to win the Eider or a Midlands National ahead of the Derby. But every breeder would prefer a guineas or even better all aged 8f-10f horse ahead of a Derby winner. With the Aga Khan and some Ballydoyle lines - their Derby winners are as likely to sire a grade 1 jumper as a grade 1 flat horse.

A good line that has been repeated in the last few years is that if you think you have a Derby prospect and are sure he will stay 12f, he is probably too slow to win it.

EDIT - he may well have won a July Cup (or nunthorpe, not too many horses in history have travelled as quick as Frankel for the first 6f of the Guineas) and an Arc but you might ruin the horse. I wouldnt take the risk with a horse that good. Sure, no other miler is expected to do it.

Yes Excelebration and Farhh were better than George Washington (?????wow) and Giant's Causeway. A more interesting race would be Excelebration vs King's Best from the Guineas.

Connections planned Frankel's 4yo career from half way through his 3yo career and didn't deviate for it to please people. People with no connection to the horse's desire to see him win every group race from 6f to 14f. Ballydoyle could take a leaf from Juddmonte's book in getting their horses into the right races.

EDIT - The Snow Fairy comparison - I think Frankel got away with things in the Champion stakes. First time it was any form of struggle, since the St James Palace. No horse has run more 135+ performances. You can argue the toss over a pound or two but for sustained brilliant performance, he is the best by that marker.

And it is churlish. When Tiger Woods was asked if he was the best ever, he said 'im in the argument'. That's all you can do. There will never be a discussion about the greatest thoroughbreds without Frankel in the argument.

Coolmore and Juddmonte. The giants of the modern era.

Like all sports it's a different ballgame these days. Dancing Brave, Mill Reef, Brigadier Gerard, Nijinsky etc they raced in a less professional racing world to today's one.

No mega outfit now would run their best 3yo stallion prospect from April through to November without a break. They simply wouldn't go to the well that often for fear of running dry. It's okay to do so with fillies because the breeding reputation of a top filly is less hard to protect and less important.

The traditional European Pattern has broken down. There's so much international racing about that the likes of the Derby have really lost their ability to draw in the best racehorses. France has destroyed their own Arc challenge by making their Derby a non staying event.

Coolmore can win record numbers of G1 races but they can no longer produce an OR 130 type 3yo from their dozens of G1 winning 3yos. Gosden has no problems producing these types, why is he so good at it and why are they so poor? They have similar bloodlines available, similar training yards, and both have access to whatever the other crowd are feeding their horses.

For a long time Coolmore have not given two fecks about ratings. They seem happy to win a race cosily rather pushing out the winner for a stunning rating. Don't they want superstars at stud?

The desire for quantity over quality at Coolmore is probably an unintended drag on the showbiz of racing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Timeform Top rated horses of all time.

https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/features/top-horses/timeforms

I am trying to not be overly controversial but I can't help stating that I think that Ireland's best racehorses have never really won the hearts of the British Handicapper.

When you see Frankel rated half a stone ahead of Sea The Stars it is a head scratcher for me. If Frankel was bred in Clonmel by a nobody and Sea the Stars was bred in middle England I can't help speculating that their ratings would be reversed.

For the record in one season Sea the Stars won the 2000,Epsom Derby,Eclipse,Juddmonte,Champion Stakes and the Arc.

Frankel didn't. They never tried him over 10f because they were terrified he wouldn't get the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Timeform Top rated horses of all time.

https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/features/top-horses/timeforms

I am trying to not be overly controversial but I can't help stating that I think that Ireland's best racehorses have never really won the hearts of the British Handicapper.

When you see Frankel rated half a stone ahead of Sea The Stars it is a head scratcher for me. If Frankel was bred in Clonmel by a nobody and Sea the Stars was bred in middle England I can't help speculating that their ratings would be reversed.

For the record in one season Sea the Stars won the 2000,Epsom Derby,Eclipse,Juddmonte,Champion Stakes and the Arc.

Frankel didn't. They never tried him over 10f because they were terrified he wouldn't get the trip.

Frankel won the Juddmomte and the Champion stakes also. Both over 10.

I'm a big a Sea the Stars fan as anyone but I'd tend to agree with Frankel being half a stone better. Would personally have made it more. Greatest horse I ever seen in the flesh and seen quite a few good ones over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Blinkers_off

Derby and Arc are the most important races in the world win neither and your not even in the conversation

Frankel won the Juddmomte and the Champion stakes also. Both over 10.

I'm a big a Sea the Stars fan as anyone but I'd tend to agree with Frankel being half a stone better. Would personally have made it more. Greatest horse I ever seen in the flesh and seen quite a few good ones over the years.

When I said over 10f I literally meant further than 10f, ie a mile and half etc. I mean, they were afraid to race him in the Eclipse, they didn't think he would get up the hill at Sandown.

I think it is fair to say that Sea the Stars had a better range than Frankel. Over time I reckon Frankel's best progeny will be sprinters or milers.

There also lies the argument of what they were beating. If you ask me STS kicked a lot more ass and took a lot more names than Frankel.
    Rip Van Winkel, Mastercraftsman,( both now top sires) , Fame and Glory ( multiple group 1 winner), Conduit ( Leger winner), Dar Re Mi and I am going to get cheeky and say Youmzain:P.

Frankel beat Nathaniel in a maiden, but never took him on again. Then your left with Canford Cliffs ( a good miler but not an all time legend or anything), Excelebration, Farrh, Cirrus Des Aigles… I mean they are all decent horses , but they would have all been beaten by the horses trying to beat Sea the Stars in fairness.

Obviously there is the Thom Quelly argument, but I don't want to raise anyone's blood pressure at this stage:P

Any set of criteria that allows Anthony Van Dyck, Masar, Ruler of the World to be included in the greatest racehorse ever conversation and stops Frankel, Brigadier Gerard, Secretariat, Dayjur, Dubai Millenium, Montjeu, Winx etc etc needs to be refined hugely, or better still completely abandoned as being wrong.

• Advertisement

Any set of criteria that allows Anthony Van Dyck, Masar, Ruler of the World to be included in the greatest racehorse ever conversation and stops Frankel, Brigadier Gerard, Secretariat, Dayjur, Dubai Millenium, Montjeu, Winx etc etc needs to be refined hugely, or better still completely abandoned as being wrong.

I see what you are doing there, but with the same argument it is difficult to say that Golden Horn, Workforce etc were crap Derby winners either.

In fairness to Masar it looks like he ran into complications, he could still turn into a decent horse, although they rarely come back better after setbacks.

The Epsom Derby is a good challenge to any horse. It is the best marker each year has. Okay the track is quirky, but in the last 20 years it has been won by some seriously good horses.

When I said over 10f I literally meant further than 10f, ie a mile and half etc. I mean, they were afraid to race him in the Eclipse, they didn't think he would get up the hill at Sandown.

I think it is fair to say that Sea the Stars had a better range than Frankel. Over time I reckon Frankel's best progeny will be sprinters or milers.

There also lies the argument of what they were beating. If you ask me STS kicked a lot more ass and took a lot more names than Frankel.
    Rip Van Winkel, Mastercraftsman,( both now top sires) , Fame and Glory ( multiple group 1 winner), Conduit ( Leger winner), Dar Re Mi and I am going to get cheeky and say Youmzain:P.

Frankel beat Nathaniel in a maiden, but never took him on again. Then your left with Canford Cliffs ( a good miler but not an all time legend or anything), Excelebration, Farrh, Cirrus Des Aigles… I mean they are all decent horses , but they would have all been beaten by the horses trying to beat Sea the Stars in fairness.

Obviously there is the Thom Quelly argument, but I don't want to raise anyone's blood pressure at this stage:P

I would rate Excellebration and more so CDA a fair bit better than anything STS beat tbh. But that's me. Also I don't think anyone can use the argument of Frankel's connections playing it safe when he races on at 4. Both are good horse but on everything we know from performances on the track Frankel was a better horse. I mean if people want to believe that STS was better then that is fine but ratings and everything else tell us otherwise.
    I'd be of the view that I'd agree with the ratings as that is how I saw it myself at the time. Anyone who wants to take the other opinion then that's fine by me.

I see what you are doing there, but with the same argument it is difficult to say that Golden Horn, Workforce etc were crap Derby winners either.

In fairness to Masar it looks like he ran into complications, he could still turn into a decent horse, although they rarely come back better after setbacks.

The Epsom Derby is a good challenge to any horse. It is the best marker each year has. Okay the track is quirky, but in the last 20 years it has been won by some seriously good horses.

The Derby is a race just like any other. In fact, it has a pretty poor history of producing great horses. Third and Fourth string O'Brien horses have won 3 of the last 8 runnings. Everyone goes there with hopes. More often than not it is underwhelming, with bubbles being burst, and more often than not Derby winners do not go on to be average Group 1 winners.

And when you are talking about the greatest ever racehorses, the only Derby winners since 1999 that would have any claim whatsoever to be in the conversation is Sea The Stars.

There have been good Derby winners that go on to win Group 1 races - Golden Horn, Galileo and at a push Workforce would be in that category. Hardly stellar for 20 years history.

There has been about 8 really great Derby winners in the last 40 years. (Shergar, Nashwan, Generous, Golden Fleece, Sinndar) It is a very poor to think that the winner is automatically a true Group 1 horse.

The Irish Derby for instance used to be a better guide. No dross and usually brought the Irish adn French Derby winners together on a fairer track and no hard luck stories. Horses like El Gran Senor, Old Vic, Montjeu, St Jovite were proper animals who didnt run/win at Epsom but won at the Curragh and were true Group 1 animals of their years.

I would rate Excellebration and more so CDA a fair bit better than anything STS beat tbh.

I actually can't be having this at all.

Putting Excellebration in the same category as Mastercraftsman and Rip Van Winkle is not working for me, at all. Particulary when you see the stud career Mastercraftsman has had and is having.

CDA was a brilliant consistent gelding who ran well for years, so any argument there is just going to raise decibels, but he certainly wasn't better than the aforementioned and that is before the Fame and Glory argument starts, which I am not having btw.

Now as for Thom Queally….:P:P

Its probably close with RVW alright. Probably go either way depending on day of the week you ask me. But he was definitely better than mastercraftsman.

Stud careers have no basis in a discussion on who was a better racehorse so not sure why you keep going on about that.

It is getting too subjective now, and I hear you on the stud argument.

My angle on Mastercraftsman is that even though he bumped into Sea the Stars 3 times he still managed to win 4 group 1's. He was definitely underrated given that you can argue that he could have won a Juddmonte and arguably an Irish Champion ( I agwee I am stretching here ).

The stud argument is indicating how classy he was, The Grey Gatsby, Alpha Centauri, Kingston Hill, Amazing Maria etc. Also he was not a favoured sire initially as Sea the Stars was all the rage and got all the best covers. Obviously as CDA was gelded we will never know, but it is difficult to not state that if Mastercraftsman was raced as a 4 year old he would have won more Group 1's particularly as Sea the Stars was out of the way. Totally hypothethical I know , but worth considering. The Eclipse was won the following year by Twice Over, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Excelebration was a far better horse than mastercraftsman that's not even a debate for me. And I'm not sure if I picked you up right there but are you really saying mastercraftsman was better than CDA???

For a bit of perspective on the value of the form surrounding Frankel's OR 140 status.

It's based on his Queen Anne demolition job which amounts to a 15 1/4 L beating of Excelebration's 7yo pacemaker Windsor Palace.

Windsor Palace's efforts as a pacemaker in G1 races is as follows

2008 Sussex Stakes beaten 24 1/2 L by Henry the navigator

2009 Prix Du Caftan pulled up behind Alandi

2011 Tattersalls Gold Cup beaten 25 L by So You Think

2011 Juddmonte International beaten 34 3/4 L by Twice Over

2012 Lockinge Stakes beaten 21 1/4 L by Frankel

2012 Queen Anne Stakes beaten 15 1/4 L by Frankel

2012 Juddmonte International beaten 45 L by Frankel

2013 Tattersalls Gold Cup beaten 11 L by Al Kazeem

2013 Prince Of Wales Stakes beaten 44 3/4 L by Al Kazeem

It's "strange" how Frankel's 15 1/4 L beating of this pacemaker football puts him a stone ahead of all the other horses on that list who kicked the same football around the same distance.

tryfix wrote: »
    For a bit of perspective on the value of the form surrounding Frankel's OR 140 status.

It's based on his Queen Anne demolition job which amounts to a 15 1/4 L beating of Excelebration's 7yo pacemaker Windsor Palace.

Windsor Palace's efforts as a pacemaker in G1 races is as follows

2008 Sussex Stakes beaten 24 1/2 L by Henry the navigator

2009 Prix Du Caftan pulled up behind Alandi

2011 Tattersalls Gold Cup beaten 25 L by So You Think

2011 Juddmonte International beaten 34 3/4 L by Twice Over

2012 Lockinge Stakes beaten 21 1/4 L by Frankel

2012 Queen Anne Stakes beaten 15 1/4 L by Frankel

2012 Juddmonte International beaten 45 L by Frankel

2013 Tattersalls Gold Cup beaten 11 L by Al Kazeem

2013 Prince Of Wales Stakes beaten 44 3/4 L by Al Kazeem

It's "strange" how Frankel's 15 1/4 L beating of this pacemaker football puts him a stone ahead of all the other horses on that list who kicked the same football around the same distance.

While you think it makes most sense to rate the race around the pacemaker, I would doubt that it is why any ratings agency would arrive at that figure. They wouldn't have gotten that he was the pacemaker. Listing out Windsor Palaces form is irrelevant. I'm sure there are essays online on how the figure was arrived at. If it's through Windsor Palace fair enough. My guess is that proven group 1 winners (129-130 rated maybe) being beaten by 9l with daylight separating the second to the group 3 winners behind that. I accept that Frankel may be rated a pound or two too high but I can accept that excelebration ran his race in the QA and was unlucky to run into the best miler ever

Two other things - it is interesting in the discussion around enable since the weekend - how she is a superstar. Despite not coming out of the weekends race as the best horse. If it was a superstars performance then it was the same for crystal ocean and waldgeist. Very few grade 1 performers demolish other multiple grade 1 winners like Frankel did. He was raced as if he was a champion. I've never seen a guineas EVER run that way. Excelebration tried to go with him in the QA and finished drunk.

The form of Windsor palace you quote are at distances from 2m4f to a mile. As mentioned, it's easy to read form and come out with the worst possible interpretation to suit a hypothesis, you'd hope that the handicapper (at the very least) can see through that.

• Advertisement

Two other things - it is interesting in the discussion around enable since the weekend - how she is a superstar. Despite not coming out of the weekends race as the best horse. If it was a superstars performance then it was the same for crystal ocean and waldgeist. Very few grade 1 performers demolish other multiple grade 1 winners like Frankel did. He was raced as if he was a champion. I've never seen a guineas EVER run that way. Excelebration tried to go with him in the QA and finished drunk.

The form of Windsor palace you quote are at distances from 2m4f to a mile. As mentioned, it's easy to read form and come out with the worst possible interpretation to suit a hypothesis, you'd hope that the handicapper (at the very least) can see through that.

I have gone through Frankel's races to see how the figures were arrived at, in his case exposed horses he had beaten were dragged up the rankings. I showed Windsor Palace's record as a beaten pacemaker to emphasise the point that Frankel's similar beatings of him to those administered by other G1 winners wasn't of the standard of a horse who was officially a minimum of one stone superior to the other horses who were beating Windsor Palace

It may be fair enough to give a horse like Frankel style points as a means to reward consistent excellence but very few horses ever get these bonus pounds on to their ratings. For instance the superstar Enable hasn't risen in the weights because she has only being winning by small margins each time.

A horse's Form is only as good as the weakest link in the race. In Frankel's monster run he gave the OR 104 Windsor Palace a 31lb beating = 135 lbs performance and we are to take it that despite the 7yo Windsor Palace being used as the pacemaker he still somehow not only managed to run to his full OR 104 potential in that race he actually managed to increase his OR that day to OR 106 which allowed for the ratings to be driven towards 140.

In order for Frankel to be dragged up to a greatest ever mark the pacemaker had to have his OR inflated. Frankel's own pacemaker Bullet Train was an OR 106 horse when he was first used as a pacemaker for Frankel, he was beaten 12L by Frankel then, in his next race as pacemaker for Frankel he was again beaten by 12L but this time he was adjudged to have improved by 5Lbs to a new career high of 111, three races later as Frankel's pacemaker sees Bullet Train being beaten 13 1/4 L by Frankel and his rating climbs yet again to another new career high of 113.

That kind of grade inflation for punch bag pacemakers allowed Frankel's OR rise to it's silly level.

tryfix wrote: »
    I have gone through Frankel's races to see how the figures were arrived at, in his case exposed horses he had beaten were dragged up the rankings. I showed Windsor Palace's record as a beaten pacemaker to emphasise the point that Frankel's similar beatings of him to those administered by other G1 winners wasn't of the standard of a horse who was officially a minimum of one stone superior to the other horses who were beating Windsor Palace

It may be fair enough to give a horse like Frankel style points as a means to reward consistent excellence but very few horses ever get these bonus pounds on to their ratings. For instance the superstar Enable hasn't risen in the weights because she has only being winning by small margins each time.

A horse's Form is only as good as the weakest link in the race. In Frankel's monster run he gave the OR 104 Windsor Palace a 31lb beating = 135 lbs performance and we are to take it that despite the 7yo Windsor Palace being used as the pacemaker he still somehow not only managed to run to his full OR 104 potential in that race he actually managed to increase his OR that day to OR 106 which allowed for the ratings to be driven towards 140.

In order for Frankel to be dragged up to a greatest ever mark the pacemaker had to have his OR inflated. Frankel's own pacemaker Bullet Train was an OR 106 horse when he was first used as a pacemaker for Frankel, he was beaten 12L by Frankel then, in his next race as pacemaker for Frankel he was again beaten by 12L but this time he was adjudged to have improved by 5Lbs to a new career high of 111, three races later as Frankel's pacemaker sees Bullet Train being beaten 13 1/4 L by Frankel and his rating climbs yet again to another new career high of 113.

That kind of grade inflation for punch bag pacemakers allowed Frankel's OR rise to it's silly level.

I don't agree there should be style points. And a lot of what you say makes perfect sense but "a horse's form is only as good as the weakest link in the race is 100% wrong." That's not the purpose of form or handicapping.

Would you give pacemaker Sovereign an increased rating for his Irish derby form Vs Epsom derby. If you are saying pacemakers can't improve their performance you are also wrong.

I don't agree there should be style points. And a lot of what you say makes perfect sense but "a horse's form is only as good as the weakest link in the race is 100% wrong." That's not the purpose of form or handicapping.

Would you give pacemaker Sovereign an increased rating for his Irish derby form Vs Epsom derby. If you are saying pacemakers can't improve their performance you are also wrong.
    Subject to a time analysis proving that there was improvement in Sovereign's form from Epsom to The Curragh I absolutely would give Sovereign an increased rating for his Irish Derby form. Note how Sovereign's OR 118 rating in the Irish Derby is hugely inferior to the potential rating of 127 he could have been given for beating OR 118 AVD into second.

Instead of using the seemingly outfoxed AVD 118 and Madhmoon 117 as form guides the handicapper used the weakest link to record a lowish interpretation of the winners worth. The weakest link was the 104 rated Norway who was given a 13lb beating which allowed the handicapper to come to 118 for Sovereign.

There is also a huge difference between a 12f bred 3yo having only his second ever run over 12f at the Curragh Vs the exposed 7yo and 5yo pacemakers that were running as pacemakers in Frankel's races. Many horses leave their Epsom form well behind when they get away from the difficult track and race that is the Epsom Derby. You can be sure that the modest credit given to Sovereign for his Irish Derby win will vanish very quickly If he runs again without backing up his Curragh rating.

Advertisement