Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking up the aisle

Options
  • 02-07-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In getting married in a couple of months and I've been thinking about the walking up the aisle part of the ceremony. Both my parents have passed away and I have no siblings. I have a couple of uncles I could ask but I wouldn't be close to either of them and only see them at family occasions. Although I suspect both of them are expecting to be asked.

I'm in my 40's so I don't need to be "given away" I more need someone to support me. I was thinking of walking down myself but I think it would be nice to have someone with me. I am thinking of asking my friend to walk down with me. We've known each other nearly 30 years and have always been there in the good and bad times. I also think it would be a nice way to honour our friendship.

What are peoples thoughts? Would it be unusual? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I think ultimately you can do whatever you like. A long standing friend sounds like a lovely idea.

Have you considered yourself and your groom walking in together? I was at a wedding in Poland recently and couples there meet outside the church and then walk down the isle together, it was really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

I think the idea of your friend is lovely and although not the "norm" it would still be a great way to honour what you have.

Alternatively you could do a "first look" with the groom before the ceremony and then walk in together?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I’m thinking I’ll walk up on my own.
    Hate the idea of my father having to walk me up as I wouldn’t be on great terms with him, he’s grand but we don’t really talk.

Having a friend is a nice idea but will people be wondering why that friend? If your friend is comfortable with it though why not - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

My Brother and SIL walked eachother to the celebrant.

A friend walked herself.

A recent Wedding had two BM's a Best Friend and then the Bride. Do whatever you want. Her Father was present and in the front row but it was her BF who stood by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You don't need to walk up the aisle at all. You can simply arrive and move to where you have the ceremony. I did a traditional walk up the aisle because it meant a lot to my father but tbh if I had my time over I'd probably do it differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I walked my friend down the aisle (both female). I was so honoured to be asked and it's something I will treasure forever.
    I think it's a lovely idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My husband and I walked in together. Granted that was a civil service so not as much of a walk perhaps but I liked that we did it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Go with whatever you want. My dad walked his two nieces up the isle at their request and he felt proud to accompany them. But he was a father figure to both after their own father died, and so was chosen instead of brother or other uncle.

If you are not close to your uncles do not feel you have to ask one of them. If your friend is happy to walk with you I think its a great idea.

Your wedding, your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dinnyhw

A friend of mine was in a similar position to you OP. Her dad had passed away and she had no brothers. She has uncles who could have done it but her thought was that no-one could replace her dad.
    Herself and her husband to be met at the door and walked in together. It was really lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Thanks all. I had a chat with my h2b last night and I’m going to ask my friend. We’re having a civil ceremony so it’s only a short walk but I know she is the right person to have with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

It's a lovely idea, and I am sure that she will be delighted.
    I would feel absolutely honoured if a friend asked me to do that for her.

Hope you have a fantastic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

The idea of your friend walking you up sounds lovely.
    The lady who married us said she had a couple where the bride walked up halfway on her own where the groom met her and they walked the rest of the way hand in hand. I thought that was a lovely idea too

Advertisement