Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demise of the Irish Derby

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

tryfix wrote: »
    Don't think Ryan won on Magna Grecia, so maybe you're down to two but he did win on Circus Maximus so back up to 3.

I genuinely wince when I see him on a horse that I want to back.

AVD has the right package of class and form for the Derby.

Madhmoon doesn't convince me over 12f and I'd love Broome to win but he's got to improve.

Your bang on, I need to go back to Latin class.. I mixed them up. Circus Maximus won the St James's. He got beaten on Magna Grecia in the Irish 2000.

Another peach from Moore right there. What more can I say......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Another peach from Moore right there. What more can I say......

Moore seems to have no balls lately. Constantly content to look at the arse of other horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

An absolute joke of a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I would love to know what was the plan before the race.

Doesn't really matter as they are taking the money home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

At least Aidan O'Brien had the 1st, 2nd, 3rd :rolleyes: and the 6th and 7th.

What odds the stewards calling in the trainer and asking him to account for the turnaround in form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

U can see padraig beggy didn't want his mount winning that. Farce of a race

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

In fairness Beggy is world class .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are the punters being conned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,727 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looked like such a fix to stop Madhmoon. The group of O'Brien horses never closed the gap, and Madhmoon fell for it hook line and sinker. He should have closed gap early himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭flos1964

No fan of Moore but you had to think that thing was going to come back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Don't give up madhmoon just yet lads

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Don't give up madhmoon just yet lads

I don't know, I think he is beaten fair and square. He certainly had no excuses, maybe a bad ride from the jockey. If he had come second I would agree, but he is off my tracker now.

He has to go 10f's next time. I reckon he will turn out to be a really good group 2 winner. I don't think he is a group 1 horse.

Madhmoon was boxed in by 3 O'Brien horses, one in front, one to the side and one to the back. They kept him locked in until it was clear the winner was not to be caught.
    Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Of course I backed Sovereign at Epsom. FML.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

Madhmoon was boxed in by 3 O'Brien horses, one in front, one to the side and one to the back. They kept him locked in until it was clear the winner was not to be caught.
    Embarrassing.

Yeah never happened you spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Embarrassing.

Do you think they let Sovereign win or something?

jkbkhhho7t wrote: »
    Yeah never happened you spoofer

Madhmoon was on rail, Van Dyck ahead of him,Broome to the side and Ii Paradiso right behind him. He was kept there and they just kept a steady pace and let Sovereign get into a uncatchable lead.
    Madhmoon only broke free of the closed triangle when Van Dyck had to commit to make it look like he was at least trying to catch Sovereign.

Same owners, same trainer. They did not care which one won, their only concern was to stop Madhmoon and they did.

Do you think they let Sovereign win or something?

I think it did not matter which O Brien horse won as the same owners owned them all. They had a plan, keep Madhmoon closed in, and let an O Brien horse open a huge lead and try make all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Some conspiracy theory there lol.

Of course they cared who won. A dual derby winner is worth much more to them than just having any of their horses beat madhmoon.

The jockeys in behind just had shockers presuming they'd come back. They didn't go a crazy pace, even Norway finished 3rd and he went with the winner

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Some conspiracy theory there lol.

Of course they cared who won. A dual derby winner is worth much more to them than just having any of their horses beat madhmoon.

The jockeys in behind just had shockers presuming they'd come back. They didn't go a crazy pace, even Norway finished 3rd and he went with the winner

Racing is corrupt. Lot's of dirty tricks and tactics at play. Madhmoon was a danger to Magnier and O Brien, so they used their tactics to give them the best chance.

Madhmoon was in the clear for the last three furlongs.
    As the presenters were saying at Royal Ascot when runners failed to close "they gaps were moving faster than him".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Beggy obviously forgot to pull the handbrake up to allow Ryan to close on AVD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You could easily rename this thread, the Demise of Ryan Moore.

He has been atrocious over the last few months.

Since the 1st June he has had 35 rides for Aidan O'Brien either at home or abroad. He has won on 4 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

One of the on course bookies they interviewed said he didn't think Madhmoon would stay and honesty he didn't.

The bigger priced stablemates have been doing this with O'Brien for ages now, it's no surprise. When he has half the field just don't bet the race at all is actually the best option!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Just wanted to add that the amount of rope they gave the two at the front was shocking.

Padraig Beggy hadn't a winner for 356 days prior to winning the Derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Funny enough when Moore rides for Haggas he tends to win on the favs. It's just AOB has this approach and it's not going to change. Plus the other jockeys are also all extremely capable. It's good for him, good for the yard, but not good for punters.

He isn't going to lose his job despite having Frankie boss him at Ascot nearly every time he was on the fav, despite losing to the other jockeys in the yard because it has been happening for a while and yet overall the yard is super successful at the end of the day. But to be backing him in these races with all the stablemates, well you only have yourself to blame if you continue to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

In the RTE interview Magnier himself looked more than slightly miffed by the result.

The result devalues their Epsom winner and placed horses by a lot more than the Curragh winner's value will have risen and it makes winning the Irish Derby look much less impressive in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I thought Magnier paid Aidan a lovely tribute after the race . I dont think the result mattered that much to the lads seeing that its a son of Gallelio that won. I read an earlier post Moores figures look pretty grim but then other trainers dont have that many highly rated horses to run in the big races. So its not like O brien enters no hopers in all these grade ones. Moore just picks the wrong ones maybe the Lads dont need a stable jockey just offer the rides to freelancers they cant be any worse than Moore

Advertisement