Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC - Employment based programme

Options
  • 14-04-2019 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any broad stroke guidance on how the employment based postgrad programme works?
    I’ve a research idea I know my employer would back and 2 possible avenues for research supervisor with 2 different colleges.

Would my existing salary simply be part funded by research council funding and registration fees covered (based on my reading)?

Strongly considering applying next year and would love to have a better understanding of application process and how the programme works financially as I couldn’t self fund.

Thanks (new to looking at PhD / research council stuff so just not clear on how it would work).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

Hi Nelbert, I have this type of scholarship and I must say I've only had negative experiences with it.

I think what you described is how it's supposed to work i.e. that your salary would be partly covered by the IRC, but the Ts & Cs are written very badly in my !

If you do make an application, you could put in an FAQ, they're very good about answering them.

As far as the actual application process goes, for me it was just fill in the application form online, have all your supporting documents and that went ok.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Are you at liberty to speak of the negatives or are they academic / sensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

I won't go too far into the details, but due to some possible misinterpretation of the Ts & Cs, my salary ended up lower than I expected.

I was also enrolled in a Structured PhD, and between the requirements for that, the requirements for the company and then also the actual PhD work, I was definitely trying to split myself too many ways.

I would strongly advise that you fully understand the academic expectations of whatever college it is, these scholarships are relatively new and in my experience the colleges are not willing to make any concessions for them.

Advertisement