Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you listen to podcasts in car?

Options

Comments

bluetooth

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bluetooth and spotify for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Blush Proof

bluetooth
    But I don't have internet on my phone. Those seem to be streaming podcasts. I don't think you can even download them.

Just saying bluetooth doesn't really help someone who's like a granny with smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

you can download podcasts for offline listening on most platforms AFAIK

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    you can download podcasts for offline listening on most platforms AFAIK
    But not that Newstalk one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

What type of phone have you Blush Proof?

What type of phone have you Blush Proof?
    iPhone 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

In your podcasts app, you can search for Newstalk and find the ones you want.

If you are on wifi, then you should be able to download them and listen to them when you want.

If your car radio has bluetooth, then you should be able to connect your phone to the radio and play the pocasts directly.

If you don't have a bluetooth car radio, and you do have an audio in connection, then you can try something like this
    https://www.taotronics.com/p/bluetooth-receiver-portable-wireless-car-aux-adapter-3.5mm-stereo-car-kits.html

This works by connecting to your phone and playing that audio through the car radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Through your phone with Bluetooth connecting it to the car stereo is the only way for me.
    I download everything, I never stream. They automatically delete when listened to. You can pause and skip with buttons on your car stereo.

In the past I have downloaded audiobooks and copied them onto usb stick which can go into the car stereo. But now everything I listen to in the car is Bluetooth, by far the most convenient.

sugarman wrote: »
    This is far from ideal and may be too complicated for you to follow, but worth trying.

Go to this page
    https://www.newstalk.com//content/001/podcastFeeds/197.xml

Its called an RSS feed, in simple terms its the Newstalk website in plain text without the images and user interface.

If you scroll down, in blue text. You see the mp3 files of the Podcasts. For example, this is the first that shows on the list today.

https://cdn.radiocms.net/radio-cms/uploads/2019/02/21133344/Big-Wind-Big-Sea-Big-Welcome-Full-PODCAST.mp3

If you copy and paste this address into a new tab on your internet browser, the MP3 will show and allow you to play.

If you right click on player, you can see "Save audio as" and it will save as an MP3 file.

You could then copy this to your phone with a USB cable and play in your car with an AUX cable to the stero if it has one or wirelessly via bluetooh if it has that.
    Thanks,

That works. But only if I'm happy with random podcasts. How did you get that first hyperlink? I need to be able to get the equivalent of that first hyperlink for any of the 4013 podcast pages, and I must be able to know which one I'm selecting!

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/page/4013/filter?filter_selected=none&show=all&series=all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

I don't commute via car. If I did, I would either play the podcast via Bluetooth through my radio or my Airpods.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

iPhone 5

An iphone without internet?

An iphone without internet?
    Yeah.

I had internet with it for a while because some option was ticked to 'internet' with my aware. It was costing me €2 a day!

How much does internet cost for you.

Yeah.

I had internet with it for a while because some option was ticked to 'internet' with my aware. It was costing me €2 a day!

You don't need mobile data. I don't know how other podcast apps work, but I use Podcast Republic. You can download all your podcasts on the wifi at home before you leave the house. There's settings within the app that block any use of mobile data, all wifi only. I rarely refresh my playlist using mobile data, almost always on wifi in the morning.

Yeah.

I'm not sure what plan you were on but you were definitely getting ripped off.

Have a look at this

https://switcher.ie/mobiles/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yeah.

What plan have you with your provider and when did you last change. I have 4 GB a month

What plan have you with your provider and when did you last change. I have 4 GB a month

I hope you're not paying much for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I hope you're not paying much for it...

Don't actually use all if it a month and just checked and I was way off its 10GB. Mine is unlimited calls and text the the 10 GB and the BT Sports and Eir Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

I use podbean and then use bluetooth in my car or a cable if ive to use the missus.I havent listened to a radio station in the car or house since July. Wireless bluetooth speaker in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Forget all of that so.

Since you've an iPhone you can just use iTunes, Newstalk have all their podcasts on there.

Just download iTunes if you dont have it already, search for Newstalk and select whatever Podcast you want. Then simply sync your phone. No data needed.

Why go through all that palava and you can just go on Wifi and download in the Podcasts app? Quicker and easier?

As for the OP, I do not understand people who buy smartphones and do not get proper Data packages. It's so cheap nowadays with unlimited data plans that there is no need to have a phone restricted to wifi only.

So many people have plans now with unlimited minutes and texts that are not required or used but do not prioritise data.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Leo Fatkar

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why go through all that palava and you can just go on Wifi and download in the Podcasts app? Quicker and easier?

As for the OP, I do not understand people who buy smartphones and do not get proper Data packages. It's so cheap nowadays with unlimited data plans that there is no need to have a phone restricted to wifi only.

So many people have plans now with unlimited minutes and texts that are not required or used but do not prioritise data.
    €30 per month isn't that cheap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Leo Fatkar

Just download iTunes if you dont have it already, search for Newstalk and select whatever Podcast you want. Then simply sync your phone. No data needed.
    So it's free?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Leo Fatkar wrote: »

Well you can probably get better deals if they look around and I really don't think €30 for all calls, texts and data is that expensive these days.

Edit: I see Eir do Pay as you go Unlimited calls, texts and 20gb data (which is loads, espcecially when compared to zero and more than enough for podcasts) for €20 with free You Tube and social media.

I just cannot in anyway classify that as expensive.

Leo Fatkar wrote: »

It's all relative. You can get all you can eat data for €20 per month. Is having access to the internet, email, free multimedia messaging, free backing up of photos, youtube, Wikipedia, news, whatever alerts you want, video calls, voice calls, online shopping, gps mapping with satellite street view and directions, and a million other things all available anywhere you go in Europe 24-7 for the price of 4 pints a month? I think it's fúcking amazing value.

Never mind the fact that to have a sim anyway you must be paying something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gffg

murpho999 wrote: »
    Edit: I see Eir do Pay as you go Unlimited calls, texts and 20gb data (which is loads, espcecially when compared to zero and more than enough for podcasts) for €20 with free You Tube and social media.

I just cannot in anyway classify that as expensive.
    But take me for example - I'm with three. So could I still get that deal with eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Gffg wrote: »
    But take me for example - I'm with three. So could I still get that deal with eir?

If you are not tied into a contract of course you can, that eir deal is currently only €15

Link to the bargain alert

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971994

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gffg

NATLOR wrote: »
    If you are not tied into a contract of course you can, that eir deal is currently only €15

Link to the bargain alert

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971994
    Yeah, but it doesn't seem to state on the eir website whether or not you have to stay with them after the first 6 months? It doubles in price after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I don't have the deal myself but I read the thread.
    It's a 12 month deal on a monthly rolling contract meaning you can cancel at anytime.

Best to post any more questions on that thread as a few have signed up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Forget all of that so.

Since you've an iPhone you can just use iTunes, Newstalk have all their podcasts on there.

Yeah, I finally got around to that. It said iTunes could not connect to iPhone "iPhone" due to an invalid response.

Then later when I had the option to sync the phone, it keeps asking me to authorize it. I authorized it and then it just kept asking me to authorize it again and again. What should I do now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My car is 04 so headphones plugged into the phone.

Advertisement