Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of Andy Murray return

Options
  • 28-01-2019 11:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭

Now that the Australian Open has finished, my thoughts are now turning towards the next 500 Series in Rotterdam but before that, I am curious to know what Andy Murray is going to do because he is thinking of getting hip surgery or playing his farewell at Wimbledon. Most pundits expect him to go down the surgery route and possibly make a comeback once that has been completed.

What do you peeps think?

Comments

even if he gets the surgery unfortunately I never see him getting back to near the level he was at.

there was a player who got that surgery but he was a doubles player.

doubles involves nowhere near the wear-and-tear on the body as the singles game, particularly the men's game.

even the doubles player who got that surgery said that.

I presume that he will be at Wimbledon for a sentimental send-off of sorts.

Would love to see him back at the highest level but unfortunately the chance of that looks very low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

I don't see him return to not be the same player he was so I agree with you that he will retire after Wimbledon :(. I said that before his loss in round one in Melbourne plus, it would look silly if he came back, especially after the video messages and on court interview after the loss.

The problem then for GB is, who will be as good as him because Kyle Edmund and Cak Norrie were my thoughts until the first Monday where both lost heavily. I do hope both can be as good as Andy but that may take 2-3 years unfortunately :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The sooner the bleedin’ better he tetires. This incessant fawning and crying and spluttering over a grown man retiring from a sport....holy jaysus...

And I always rooted for Andy in matches..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I thought he said he is going to get the surgery done a day or 2 after he was knocked out. Dont think he will be at Wimbledon unless it is in a commentating capacity.

No he said he would leave the surgery until after Wimbledon. He would play no tournaments then so play possibly Queens and Wimbledon which is where he said he wanted to play his last match. But he did say that he was not certain that it was possible and that the Bautista Agut match could have been his last :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I don't see him return to not be the same player he was so I agree with you that he will retire after Wimbledon :(. I said that before his loss in round one in Melbourne plus, it would look silly if he came back, especially after the video messages and on court interview after the loss.

The problem then for GB is, who will be as good as him because Kyle Edmund and Cak Norrie were my thoughts until the first Monday where both lost heavily. I do hope both can be as good as Andy but that may take 2-3 years unfortunately :(.

As good as Murray in 2-3 years???

I'd gladly eat my hat if (even combined) they had a tiny fraction of the success Murray has had

I don't envisage a British player being as good as Murray in my lifetime, never mind 2 to 3 years

That is harsh because Cam is now 64 in rankings and will jump a few more in weeks and months ahead so I say he could be top 30 by end of season.

And Kyle was on track until injury/illness hit, he was 14 at end of season, had reached a Grand Slam semi and had won his first title so if he gets back to full fitness, he will get back there and could go far in 500/1000 Series tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

When they're winning multiple majors, 14 Masters Titles, 2 Olympic Golds, a Tour Finals, and getting to number 1 in the world get back to me about putting them in the same breath as Murray! They'll never be in the same stratosphere as him

Anyhow, looks like he had his surgery yesterday, to address the OP

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46916064

Bob Bryan came back in 5 months after it.

Murray has the same amount of time

He has had the operation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46916064

Maybe when he comes back he should just play doubles. I don't understand why players nearing the end of their singles career don't switch and play more doubles.

• Advertisement

beat you to it :)

glasso wrote: »
    beat you to it :)

DOH. :)

Advertisement