Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming and VOD film recommendations

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Craazysteve

I've signed up for a month here and there a couple of times, when there's particularly good deals going. Never had lagging or skipping issues, worked fine in that regard, but the resolution is 720p max and black backgrounds / dark scenes can look patchy due to compression (The really dark episode of GOT looked particularly awful on NowTV for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Peppermint has been added to Prime.

Jennifer Garner doing a John Wick.

12% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Peppermint is great fun. Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB can kiss ass when it comes to there ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Has anyone got a Now TV account? Just wondering what the quality is like?

I signed up for a trial on their sports package a while back and it was really poor quality. Kept lagging and skipping and what not.

I have it for BT Sports for a few months. Quality is very good on my Samsung tablet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Has anyone got a Now TV account? Just wondering what the quality is like?

I signed up for a trial on their sports package a while back and it was really poor quality. Kept lagging and skipping and what not.

I used to use it for GoT and Fortitude access in the UK. Watching on catchup was fine but the live streams were very unreliable (unlike every other streaming service I used, so an issue with their infrastructure rather than my connection) - not to mention that the live streams had more ad breaks than the catchup version.

I dislike NowTV immensely because their UI on the web-based service is so bad it makes Amazon Prime's web interface look less bad. It may be better if you're using their hardware directly on your TV, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thanks for the NowTV feedback. I'll probably try and get the free 14 day trial but I want to wait until I have the time to make good use of it. Was thinking of buying a new TV too and some of Currys deals have 3 months free too, so if I time it right I could get through the rest of the winter without shelling out for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for the NowTV feedback. I'll probably try and get the free 14 day trial but I want to wait until I have the time to make good use of it. Was thinking of buying a new TV too and some of Currys deals have 3 months free too, so if I time it right I could get through the rest of the winter without shelling out for it :D

Before Christmas a load of places were selling the now tv stick cheap. Just had a quick look at argos, it's €20 with two months entertainment included, might be even cheaper elsewhere. It's actually a really good bit of kit, comes with its own remote and the user interface is very easy. Runs netflix, All4, rte player etc too. Might be worth you looking into too

Also, last couple of summers there's been a "competition" with kitkats to win passes. Every single one wins! If it comes up again, load up on choc :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Channel 4’s rotating selection of free films continues to impress, with the likes of Solaris and You Were Never Really Here among the current batch. But particularly want to highlight Hu Bo’s An Elephant Sitting Still - one of the absolute best films I’ve seen in recent years. It’s long - four hours - and challenging at times but worth every second: a bleak but also subtly hopeful chronicle of a day in the life of four people in contemporary China. It’s a film I found profoundly affecting, and would urge people to give it a go.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/an-elephant-sitting-still/on-demand/70476-001

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Channel 4’s rotating selection of free films continues to impress, with the likes of Solaris and You Were Never Really Here among the current batch. But particularly want to highlight Hu Bo’s An Elephant Sitting Still - one of the absolute best films I’ve seen in recent years. It’s long - four hours - and challenging at times but worth every second: a bleak but also subtly hopeful chronicle of a day in the life of four people in contemporary China. It’s a film I found profoundly affecting, and would urge people to give it a go.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/an-elephant-sitting-still/on-demand/70476-001

they've also got seinfeld as of last week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

peteeeed wrote: »
    they've also got seinfeld as of last week

just the first 3 series, but that's still my productivity gone for the foreseeable future. Serenity Now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

loyatemu wrote: »
    just the first 3 series, but that's still my productivity gone for the foreseeable future. Serenity Now!

new season added every Friday

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Portrait Of Lady On Fire - on Mubi fo 2 more days, I finally got around to watching this today and it was excellent, definitely deserving of the praise it's been getting IMO. It's a tightly focused character piece and you live and breathe the developing relationship between Heloise and Marianne, but I also really appreciated the chemistry between the two and Sophie, the housemaid. The period in which the film is set means that all three of these women have a lot of aspects of their lives dictated by their relationships to men, but the narrative and presentation does not spend any time on the men in question - and the film is all the stronger for it.

In certain ways I can see that comparisons to The Favourite and Call Me By Your Name are unavoidable. But, seeing as how I adored both of those films, I don't really think the comparison is unfair to anyone.

Fysh wrote: »
    Portrait Of Lady On Fire - on Mubi fo 2 more days, I finally got around to watching this today and it was excellent, definitely deserving of the praise it's been getting IMO. It's a tightly focused character piece and you live and breathe the developing relationship between Heloise and Marianne, but I also really appreciated the chemistry between the two and Sophie, the housemaid. The period in which the film is set means that all three of these women have a lot of aspects of their lives dictated by their relationships to men, but the narrative and presentation does not spend any time on the men in question - and the film is all the stronger for it.

In certain ways I can see that comparisons to The Favourite and Call Me By Your Name are unavoidable. But, seeing as how I adored both of those films, I don't really think the comparison is unfair to anyone.

Celine Sciamma's earlier film, Waterlillies was added to Mubi the other day too. And My Life as a Courgette, which she wrote, should still be on All 4 for a couple of days. Highly recommend it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All of Sciamma’s films are great, and Portrait is a particular masterpiece and one of the very best films of recent years. But have a very soft spot for Water Lillies. Caught it on release when I was still getting into world cinema and it made an impression that’s stuck with me. Great that it’s floating around again, hopefully open for rediscovery.

Celine Sciamma's earlier film, Waterlillies was added to Mubi the other day too. And My Life as a Courgette, which she wrote, should still be on All 4 for a couple of days. Highly recommend it.

I didn't realise she wrote My Life As A Courgette, I loved that film. Will definitely check out Waterlillies so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched the lunchbox today on Mubi rather lovely Indian rom com with the late great irrfan khan. It's a little gem.

There is also a documentary up on Mubi called romantic comedy that looks really interesting has anyone seen it?

gmisk wrote: »
    I watched the lunchbox today on Mubi rather lovely Indian rom com with the late great irrfan khan. It's a little gem.

This is on BBC2 tonight/tomorrow morning at 00:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

gmisk wrote: »

There is also a documentary up on Mubi called romantic comedy that looks really interesting has anyone seen it?

I have discovered MUBI during the lockdown, originally from a recommendation from Donald Clark. I would really recommend it - it is a complete film education - like doing a film studies course without the assignments.

It has a great mix of films in different languages, from different decades, from the great directors of the history of cinema. Some rubbish, of course, but even the terrible films are intriguing in their own way.

The trick is that each film is online for 30 days, during which you can watch it with your subscription. Gives you motivation to sit down and watch. A complete revelation to me.

https://mubi.com/showing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Fysh wrote: »

100% agree with this. I have been devouring MUBI films during the lockdown and this is my favourite of all of the ones now up. Slow, intense, passionate. There are almost no men in the film, which I imagine was deliberate, but this doesn't hurt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lind555

Crime scene

Behind her eyes

• Advertisement
Advertisement