Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming and VOD film recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Since buying a 4K a few weeks ago I have done something I never really did in the past and always presumed it was an overpriced platform, I’ve been buying films for iTunes!

I bought a refurbished ATV4k from Apple and have been very pleasantly surprised at the amount of films they have on special offer at various times.

I picked up Get Out in 4k for a fiver. Also Jurassic Park, again in 4k for the same price.

A Quite Place and It, both in Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos soundtracks for €6.99

A Fantastic Woman for €2.99 I think it was.

I could go on. I check it daily now and have thrown a few films on a wishlist to keep an eye on. Any HD films that you own, if updated to 4K versions will automatically be updated to 4K at no extra charge. Quite a few iTunes titles have plenty of extras too.

It’s a platform, as a long time Apple user that I never entertained for buying music or films but it’s been a real eye opener in the last few weeks for the fantastic value you can find on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 & Alien: Resurrection are all on Crackle.

The Natural and True Romance are also there.

I'll also add Seven Years in Tibet.

They have a good selection up this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 & Alien: Resurrection are all on Crackle.

The Natural and True Romance are also there.

I'll also add Seven Years in Tibet.

They have a good selection up this month.

Is it available in Ireland without a VPN?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought Ireland was going to miss out on this, but ecstatic to see that isn’t the case: Mubi’s Hong Sang-Soo season has gotten underway https://mubi.com/specials/hss

Six films being screened over the next few weeks, most of which have never received a proper release in Ireland (in some cases they haven’t even received single screenings that I know of... and I do try to keep a very keen eye out for such things :pac:). First two films - Right Now Wrong Then and On The Beach Alone At Night - are among his very best, and personally very excited that two of his films I haven’t seen are among the selections here.

HSS is something of an acquired taste, no doubt, but he’s easily among my absolute favourite working filmmakers. I’d recommend giving at least two of these a shot if you’re at all interested - what’s remarkable about his work is how each film takes a broadly similiar set-up (and lots and lots of soju) and then twists it in some unusual but almost always extremely rewarding way. Several of these films also feature remarkable performances from Kim Min-hee (not to mention a couple of them directly alluding to Kim and Hong’s high-profile off-screen affair)

I’m on record as saying Mubi are providing an increasingly vital alternative to the corporate streaming giants - seasons like this are exactly why :)

Peppermint has been added to Prime.

Jennifer Garner doing a John Wick.

• Advertisement

If anyone has the 3Plus app they are giving a link to get MUBI for 3 months for €1.

Rocky 1 to 6 and Creed added to Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

For anyone interested all 6 seasons of Community are available on All4.

Inglourious Basterds & The Game added to Prime.

I watched The Big Sick on Prime over the weekend, really good modern day romcom which ia based on a true story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cold War, the outrageously beautiful epic-musical-romance from Paweł Pawlikowski, has been added to
    Prime. The cinematography is simply stunning, and the whole thing embraces the musicality of its characters with gusto.

I've just seen that American Animals is available on Prime, excellent film from last year about four college students who try to pull off a heist. Based on a true story, it really is something.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched the firrst episode of Too Old To Die Young, the new series from Nicholas Winding Refn (co written with Ed Brubaker) on Prime. It's very recognizably Refn in terms of style (both visual and aural), but with a tweaked balance of character and plot that served it well (I find Refn a bit willfully tedious in some of his other films). The first episode is 90 mins and feels like a film in its own right.

To Catch A Thief has been added to Prime.

Hitchcock, Cary Grant & Grace Kelly what more do you need for a Friday night.

Watched Man Up on Prime last night, pleasant little rom-com with Simon Pegg and Lake Bell (who does a very convincing English accent). Good chemistry between the leads and it's an easy watch at only 80-90 minutes.

Stan & Ollie added to Prime.

Stan & Ollie added to Prime.

Really lovely film.

I mentioned it in the Prime thread but I watched Your Name on UK Prime a week's back, really good anime film.

Also noticed that Community is available on UK Prime and speaking of anime, all seasons of Samurai Jack are on All4 and the animation in that show is just gorgeous at times.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Pedro Almodóvar's "Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown" on Mubi tonight, and it was great - great performances, a wonderfully daft plot about a woman who's been up 2 days straight trying to find her lover, and some hilarious dialogue and developments. Totally worth it. Though there is one perplexing shot on what looks like a soundstage that's meant to be a rooftop terrace, which somehow calls to mind the terrible rooftop shots in The Room...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

Currently making my way through the Werner Herzog collection on the Criterion Channel. That service keeps getting better and better. It's an astonishing selection of films.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

All4 have a lot of films available at the moment. Mostly ones that aired recently on Film 4. Moonlight is there, Tangerine, The Florida Project, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Lobster, and some others. There's a time limit on them all though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Apple TV+ available in Ireland from today,free for 7 days then €4.99 a month,i signed up this morning for the free trial but looks like its only on iPhone or Mac at the moment if i can watch it on my tv i might keep it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's an AppleTV app for Amazon's Fire Tv/stick. I think there's one for Roku and some of the Smart tv OSs as well.

I get ATV+ free as part of my Apple Music student subscription. Otherwise there's no way I would pay for it. I know they've been struggling to make a deal with content providers, but I'm surprised they launched it like this.

Eir have some sort of deal for new subscribers that includes Apple TV at the moment.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is on Crackle.

The torture Report on Prime

Plex is now offering free movies and TV that will change daily.

I see Bloodsport on it

As well as the awesome Fitzcarraldo.

Seems to differ by region I'm not seeing any of the ones most sites reporting on this are mentioning like Terminator, Apocalypse Now, Bill & Ted etc.

Using a UK VPN and can see them, also the Irish one is missing the "On Plex for a Limited Time" section at the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The torture Report on Prime

I saw this a few weeks ago in the IFI, having forgotten it's an Amazon project. Slightly mixed feelings. Driver just brings it, of course and we've got a bunch of other known faces in there too. I liked seeing Maura Tierney as a pretty hardcore CIA officer, though it's more so in her beliefs rather than hands on. It's a very unflattering period of recent American history and it doesn't hold back in that regard. The two psychologists - arseholes would be polite, I'll leave it at that. With some links to the profession myself, anything unethical makes question those behaving in this way. Not to mention, one of my former professors wrote 'Why Torture Doesn't Work: The Neuroscience of Interrogation' in 2015.

Anyway, the work of Driver's character (Jones) is exhaustive, hampered by politics and the pains of democracy. The film itself isn't quite up there with say, Spotlight of recent times, but it's not about journalism and I'm not sure what the best political film of the 2000s is, off the top of my head. Perhaps more sheen or gusto would have been to its detriment. Driver's main work room is low key and unglamorous. Certainly, you do root for the document to be released, at least I did. There were one or two things that I felt didn't need explaining and I thought it hit a few tonal shudders. At one point Annette Benning's character asks Driver if he works for her or the report, cue a few scenes later and he's quite animated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Cold Pursuit on Amazon was fun. I think the whole Liam Nesson scandal around the interview for this last year hurt its box office.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got a Now TV account? Just wondering what the quality is like?

I signed up for a trial on their sports package a while back and it was really poor quality. Kept lagging and skipping and what not.

Advertisement