Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uneven tyre wear on Prius

Options
  • 22-07-2019 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

I've constantly been having this problem since I got this car (2012 Prius) four years ago: The outside of the front left tyre wears down significantly before everything else, and it's nearly bald now. I've got the tracking done when changing the tyres the last two times, and March 2018 was when I last changed the front tyres. I've done about 11,000 miles since then, and the centre is down to around 4-5 mm.

Should I be checking the tracking more often, or should I just go to a different tyre shop? Or is there something else wrong?

Also not impressed with all the cracking on these tyres after less than 1.5 years (Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance).

KWez7C1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Get a full 4 wheel alignment done, camber could be off. Toeing the tracking outwards slightly might help but is not the ideal solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's got a torsion beam on the rear, so there's no alignment to be done at the back.

But I've been through three sets of tyres, get the alignment done every time and it keeps happening, though I have only been going to the one shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There were shims available for the rear axle on the mk2 Prius. Not sure about mk3.

Yes, I know about the possibility of shims, but if the uneven wear is only on one tyre on the front - wouldn't it suggest the camber or something is out just on that wheel? But my problem is the same problem keeps returning. Could some adjustment bolt be loose or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you haven't seen this already, it's quite useful:

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/info/understanding-tire-wear/

• Advertisement

...the leading cause of outer edge wear on modern vehicles is over-enthusiastic cornering.

Maybe I'm just going around roundabouts too fast! :o

I have to say these tyres are not particularly hard wearing, I think I might try something else...

OK, so I got a new tyre and attempted to get the tracking done, but they said the track rod end was seized and couldn't be adjusted. I'll be bringing it to a mechanic later to see if they can tackle it with a torch.

So maybe the previous tyre shops never bothered with that part...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Besides tracking rotate tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

OK, so I got a new tyre and attempted to get the tracking done, but they said the track rod end was seized and couldn't be adjusted. I'll be bringing it to a mechanic later to see if they can tackle it with a torch.

So maybe the previous tyre shops never bothered with that part...

Tyre place at home gives you a printout which shows the before and after adjustments.
    Tbh the only way you will know is by getting the track rod end freed out and the tracking done.
    If the uneven wear stops the first criwd werent tracking it correctly and charging for the pleasure.
    A friend used to work for a big tyre chain and said it was rife with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Besides tracking rotate tyres

You’ll just end up with 4 worn tyres. I’d rather fix the cause, but if you got the life out of a set of tyres without the outer edge wear being an issue, then it’s not a bad idea.

• Advertisement

I had rotated the previous set of tyres (well, it was still under warranty so the dealer did it), but just ended up taking longer to notice the problem with two unevenly worn tyres instead.

I had rotated the previous set of tyres (well, it was still under warranty so the dealer did it), but just ended up taking longer to notice the problem with two unevenly worn tyres instead.

Yes problem still there - but when fixed rotate as advised in car manual

So I got the track road end freed up, took it back to the tyre shop and the tracking was completed successfully (and this place gave me a proper print-out). Toe on the front left tyre was in too much by quite a bit (was +0°23' and should have been +0°06'). Hopefully that was my problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I had a awful job getting the lock-nuts on a 2008 MK2 Prius Steering Rack to turn. Despite decent wire brushing and various oils etc they just did not want to move.
    Open Spanner was useless...took a (very tight) Vice-Grips with a Bar over it (car jacked way up) just to get a couple of turns.
    Also I'm pretty sure the Regen Braking only adds to Tyre wear on any Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭jmreire

What kind of mileage are you getting out of the worn tyre? compared to the rest of the set? Toe-in will definitely wear the outer edge of the tyre. And it's the one most likely to be out of track due to kerbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, I know about the possibility of shims, but if the uneven wear is only on one tyre on the front - wouldn't it suggest the camber or something is out just on that wheel? But my problem is the same problem keeps returning. Could some adjustment bolt be loose or something?

Too much toe will wear both tyres. If it is on one side only, there is something off for sure. Camber probably.

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    I had a awful job getting the lock-nuts on a 2008 MK2 Prius Steering Rack to turn. Despite decent wire brushing and various oils etc they just did not want to move. Open Spanner was useless...took a (very tight) Vice-Grips with a Bar over it (car jacked way up) just to get a couple of turns. Also I'm pretty sure the Regen Braking only adds to Tyre wear on any Prius.

Regards the regen braking you might have a point saves on pads but might help to wear tyres alright
    On my second insight and unless tyres are rotated front ones wear noticeably and I was once left with 2 great back and 2 worn front.

Regards the regen braking you might have a point saves on pads but might help to wear tyres alright
    On my second insight and unless tyres are rotated front ones wear noticeably and I was once left with 2 great back and 2 worn front.

How come?! The energy has to go through tyres, regards if it is regen or friction brake.

grogi wrote:
    How come?! The energy has to go through tyres, regards if it is regen or friction brake.

You're braking constantly ( involuntary braking)each time you release the accelerator/ go down the slightest hill/ I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

You're braking constantly ( involuntary braking)each time you release the accelerator/ go down the slightest hill/ I presume

No different to taking your foot off the accelerator. As above, the tyres are agnostic to what is slowing the car - brakes or regenerative braking; it's all the same. And most especially with a fwd car where the front brakes do most of the work

• Advertisement

route66 wrote:
    No different to taking your foot off the accelerator. As above, the tyres are agnostic to what is slowing the car - brakes or regenerative braking; it's all the same. And most especially with a fwd car where the front brakes do most of the work

If you drive a hybrid you'd definitely notice the difference,less foot on the brake obviously,my last insight never needed pads changed in 3+ years ,if on an ordinary car you'd be on your 2nd / 3rd pair in 3/4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

route66 wrote:

If you drive a hybrid you'd definitely notice the difference,less foot on the brake obviously,my last insight never needed pads changed in 3+ years ,if on an ordinary car you'd be on your 2nd / 3rd pair in 3/4 years

To be fair brake pad wear can depend a lot on driving style.
    I put 85k miles up on a golf before the pads needed changing. And it had a drawbar too

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I had a awful job getting the lock-nuts on a 2008 MK2 Prius Steering Rack to turn. Despite decent wire brushing and various oils etc they just did not want to move.
    The lock nut was free, it was whatever you turn to make the actual adjustment was seized. I'm not sure what he did in the end, a blowtorch was suggested when I first explained the problem. His suspicion that it was a UK import was also correct, they must salt the roads a lot more in Norn Iron.
    jmreire wrote: »
    What kind of mileage are you getting out of the worn tyre? compared to the rest of the set?
    It's all in my original post ;)
    grogi wrote: »
    Too much toe will wear both tyres. If it is on one side only, there is something off for sure. Camber probably.
    Something else was off on the front right, maybe caster? But I never had the same kind of wear on the other side.
    grogi wrote: »
    Regen is done by the same motor used to drive the wheels, and most hybrids and EVs are only front wheel drive. Though saying that, besides this particular issue on one wheel I haven't seen the tyres wear any more than my previous front-heavy diesel.

The rear tyres are coming up to about 27k miles and are due to be replaced soon - they've probably both been on the front (just not front left) at some stage.

The lock nut was free, it was whatever you turn to make the actual adjustment was seized. I'm not sure what he did in the end, a blowtorch was suggested when I first explained the problem. His suspicion that it was a UK import was also correct, they must salt the roads a lot more in Norn Iron.

Yes ref salt lived up north for a long time ,and years ago whilst buying you always had to be aware of rust in the undercarriage over salt etc, easily fixed if you hose the undercarriage a few times a year and underseal it, might be changed now though

Something else was off on the front right, maybe caster? But I never had the same kind of wear on the other side.

Caster should not impact the way the tyre wears that much. Sure, the spacial orientation would be a bit different during cornering, but most of the time you'd drive rather straight. It would impact the way the steering wheel returns to centre position though.
    Regen is done by the same motor used to drive the wheels, and most hybrids and EVs are only front wheel drive. Though saying that, besides this particular issue on one wheel I haven't seen the tyres wear any more than my previous front-heavy diesel.

Most of the time an ICE would brake with front only too. The breaking distribution is not even, otherwise the car would be very tail happy during braking.

If there is any difference in tyre lifespan on a Prius, it isn't because of the regenerative braking.

As I said, the only difference I saw was because the tracking was out. If anything, the regen leads to the rear brakes being used so little that they have a tendency to seize up if not inspected/lubricated (slide pins in particular).

Advertisement