Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED bulb knocking out light sockets

Options
  • 17-07-2019 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Weird one.

A bulb needed replacing in my dining room ceiling fitting so I went to Woodies and bought a new bulb. Because it's on a dimmer switch I bought a Philips Dimmable LED to try it out. I put the bulb in and it worked for a few minutes and then went off. So I tried it on another ceiling fitting and it didn't come on at all. However, when I went to put the working regular bulb back into the second fitting it didn't come on. So I tried the good bulb in the dining room fitting. Nothing. No tripped switches. Just dead. So then I tried the LED in a table lamp and the same thing happened. It didn't come on and when I put the regular bulb back in the light was dead.

So, any fitting I have put this LED in has stopped the light from working. Has anyone encountered this before? And does anyone have an explanation or a possible fix?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Some pics of the led lamp and the light fittings might help.

I'm going to guess that the pins in the lamp holder have been damaged somehow, but it's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

If you have mc's they might be half tripped. The switch might be stuck up just reset everything (turn off and back on again)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions. We opened up the dimmer switch on the wall and it appears that the bulb blew it. We replaced the dimmer switch and everything seems to be working now. I still have no idea what it did to the table lamp but that is definitely broken now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Table lamp probably has a fuse in the plug top?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I had trouble with similar dimmable Philips, candle bulbs (E14), I think they were about 6.5w, would trip when used in the house lights, and fuse the plug on any table lamps, just stopped using them, was a pity as they had the highest LED output at E14 at the time, OSRAM have since caught up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not all dimmer switches work with LEDs.

Check the dimmer switch type.

Advertisement