Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tax in N.I and in the republic

Options
  • 19-07-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I live in the republic and work in N.I.I have a national insurance number and pay all my tax on my wages in the north.Should I have to pay tax here as well as I’m after getting a tax bill from revenue. I am married maybe that makes a difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Yeah just thought if I paid tax on my earnings in one state I wouldn’t have to pay here as well. Getting taxed twice is not great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

tenreds wrote: »
    Yeah just thought if I paid tax on my earnings in one state I wouldn’t have to pay here as well. Getting taxed twice is not great

But if you became unemployed you'd get Irish social welfare I think (far higher than UK)

When you retire you'll probably get Irish pension (far higher than UK)

If you have kids, you get Irish childrens allowances (far higher than the UK)

And many other differences in your favour.

The taxation agreement means allowance will be made for everything you pay in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

You should be entitled to Transborder Workers' Relief. You will pay taxes on both NI and the Republic but in the Republic you will get the relief. There is an example in the page that relates to married couples and might very well apply to you.

I hope this helps

Regarding pensions you might want to check that with Welfare as my understanding is that you need to be paying PRSI contributions in the Republic to be entitled to them. That said I know the situation with NI is completely different than if you were doing Transborder with other countries and also that you can use contributions from other countries that have a Treaty/Agreement with IE (most EU, USA, etc), but just in case have a quick call with them. If you have 10 years of contributions you can consider doing Voluntary PRSI Contributions

Advertisement