Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boss reads personal texts on company phone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’ll keep you all posted on the outcome on Monday..

I hope it goes alright for you. If you have a good relationship with him then he might very well have preferred not knowing that you ever do weed. From the employer’s perspective, they will have a concern that you might be under the influence while on company business and thus expose them to liability. Be prepared to deal with this aspect and otherwise say that any incidental personal use of the phone will cease if they instruct you to do so. Absent the weed issue, I cannot see that incidental personal use would be a disciplinary or firing matter unless there were significant additional unreimbursed costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Does the OP pay for any personal usage on the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Story goes. On Friday gone my boss needed to use my van ..a company van for the day. I had inadvertently left my company phone in the van.
    Put a 6 digit lock on the phone, that can also be unlocked by your thumb press. Also, stop messages from displaying on the lock screen. This may prevent this from happening again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

the_syco wrote: »
    Put a 6 digit lock on the phone, that can also be unlocked by your thumb press. Also, stop messages from displaying on the lock screen. This may prevent this from happening again?

It's a company phone, I'd be very surprised if it's not in his contract that he has to unlock it if requested, it's not his phone or property, it belongs to the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Any update?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

Skatedude wrote: »
    It's a company phone, I'd be very surprised if it's not in his contract that he has to unlock it if requested, it's not his phone or property, it belongs to the company.

‘If requested’ is far more legitimate and transparent than secret, random snooping, as in this case.

If the company is as small as he says, I would actually be surprised if it had such detailed policies set out in its employment contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

How on earth do you not have your own phone number? This can't be for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

How on earth do you not have your own phone number? This can't be for real.

In my company we all have work mobiles and are allowed fair usage personal use, some lads just use this and forgo their own number as it saves them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I had work phone and personal phone, too much hassle carrying them around, which do you sync to car kit etc

Company let you use phone for personal if required and you can pay personal charge, you still have to adhere to phone guidelines so no dodgy sites etc....no need for two phones

The actual number is a company number but is assigned to me, if I leave I can bring the number with me if I want

The OP case is different the phone and number is tied to company, the passcode is so any employee can use it....why would you even use it knowing that anyone could open it and read your info? If the OP leaves tomor it is handed to the next person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

OP if you get the boot and are inclined to take it further, speak to a solicitor. They will advise you of how workplace surveillance should be done and of your rights to a private life and personal data under ECHR and EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

I posted some papers earlier and while they are a little legal they are not overly complicated. I can't post links right now but you could google them if interested.

Just because it's work property doesn't mean you have no privacy rights.

OP was texting about getting illegal drugs on his work phone... I wouldnt say he has any comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I'm guessing the OP got the sack and the phone gone with it so that's why we haven't heard from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nitpick man

Hi all . Just an update. I have been out of work sick since the holidays. Nothing has been said regarding the text messages nor the phone usage but am certain he read the messages on the phone . I have learn from my mistakes and in process of getting a personal phone. Thanks for all your comments. If anything arises for this I will keep you’s posted. Enjoy the weather folks. While it lasts

Advertisement