Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog

Options
  • 16-07-2019 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

About 3 months ago we got new neighbours and they have with them a large dog, I'm not sure of the dogs breed but seems to be an akita cross, this dog is extremely aggressive we all have small back gardens every time we enter our driveway their dog goes crazy barking, and same when we open our back, there's a wooden fence at the side where we keep our bins and anytime we put something in our bin the dog is jumping on the fence snapping and snarling, yesterday evening when they were bringing him for a walk he was on a lead they were encouraging my wife and child to approach and pet him, suddenly he lurched at my wife and bit her arm, we're just very concerned that if the dog gets out he will maul a child, there are small children who play in the vicinity of our house, the barking and growling we can put up with but this dog is clearly very dangerous and I don't think it's appropriate for a housing estate, I wouldn't like to fall ou twith my neighbours but I don't know what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

When you say he bit your wifes arm how bad was it? Did he draw blood?
    Biting someone is potential for getting put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

cruizer101 wrote: »
    When you say he bit your wifes arm how bad was it? Did he draw blood?
    Biting someone is potential for getting put down.

Yes drew blood she had to go to doctor and get a tetinis, luckily she was wearing a sweat shirt and the heavy cuff part at the wrist took most of the impact, but it is heavily bruised and was bleeding and swollen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Im very sorry to hear of your wifes arm and situation. Im sure everyone here is too. I cannot imagine how your relationship with your neighbours can be after that. Are you / both re ting or owners? If the dog is put down it will be horrendous for them however I imagine that something drastic will have to happen following this. Nobody wins here. Perhaps thay will muzzle and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I like dogs have two myself and think everything should be done to avoid putting dogs down but in this case I think would be pushing for it.
    God forbid the dog gets loose or attacks a child.

Have you talked to them about cover the medical bills? Make sure you get photos of the injuries
    What did they say when it happened? Have they been in touch to see if your wife is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

That dog is in the red zone.

In my own head the dog has drawn blood and could be put down for that.

The family at least need to get that dog to a very good dog trainer that is used to training red zone dogs....to evaluate and see if anything can be done to bring the dog under proper control.

The Dog requires a lot of proper socialization and exercise that's it's probably not currently being provided.

Otherwise it's simply a time bomb that could attack as you say a child or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Thanks for the replys, a little more background it's a small estate we're living in with 20 houses and the council bought two houses recently and the person next door has been put into one of them so I presume they are not going to be moving, as for us were in our house 10 years and won't be moving anytime soon, we're not looking for compensation my wife had a gp card so that covered the doctor, all I'm looking for is a way to resolve this so that it doesn't cause bad feelings between us and our neighbours, the incident last night wasnt great, but my main concern is in the future if the dog got out unaccompanied with children or even an adult, it's a big dog and an adult would have a tough time fighting it off, I don't think it would be reasonable for the dog to be musseled constantly even in their own back yard

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Time to call the dog warden OP. And depending what council it is the dog may be banned already so the decision will be made for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tk123 wrote: »
    Time to call the dog warden OP. And depending what council it is the dog may be banned already so the decision will be made for them..

hate to agree but do so unreservedly. That is just too dangerous to play about with. You would never forgive yourslef if a child or a vulnerable adult came to harm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Graces7 wrote: »
    hate to agree but do so unreservedly. That is just too dangerous to play about with. You would never forgive yourslef if a child or a vulnerable adult came to harm

She already has. No doubt they are terrified living in their own house using theor own garden and going about their business. Is their dog insured - you may ge able to claim off its insurance for trauma etc. Could help build a bigger wall. My dog had 30k public indemnity cover for 'accidents' and medical bills - but then she was insured. If the house is rented you could address it via the council re getting the dog removed as it has bitten ajd caused damage and been a problem in the garden. I can't imagine how you could expect to feel safe or relaxed in your garden after that. The people may choose to relocate rather than loose theor dog - I certainly would - and it may be a HAP or one year lease rather than a life lease. Luck may be on your side yet :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That dog should have a muzzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

is there a list of dogs that need to be muzzled in public?
    thanks
    John

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

seanin4711 wrote: »
    is there a list of dogs that need to be muzzled in public?
    thanks
    John

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

The list is here, but TBH I would add to that any dog who isn't good with people or other dogs should be muzzled in public. My brother in law rescued an elderly lab who is terrified of strangers so if he's walking him, he has a muzzle on him in case anyone comes over and the dog snaps.

Advertisement