Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK import - Is pre-conversion MOT enough?

Options
  • 04-07-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi there,

I know there are hundreds of helpful posts but I'm terrified of missing something or getting it wrong!

I'm importing a camper from the UK. It has its MOT until December of this year but it's from pre-conversion and it's not registered as a camper yet (I'll do it here). Do I just need the SQI report (and could anyone recommend one in Dublin that won't fleece me) before doing the whole VRT thing?

Also, it has Rusty Lee RnR beds, with seatbelts - is crash testing a requirement and/or is it something the SQI will check?

Many thanks, E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The seatbelts is very dependent on the SQI engineer. Some are strict some less so I have heard. But I suspect that the components should have some e markings to pass the inspection and look strong enough.

The test situation I'm not sure of. I imported a base van that passed the MOT after I agreed to buy before I collected it. I applied for cVRT cert immediately after the van was registered to Ireland. After that I converted and eventually SQI'd and it's now a motorcaravan with cVRT due later this year. So it has not seen an official test as a camper van yet. I think the VRT conversion website mentions something about cVRT which should be dated based on the date of conversion but I haven't gotten any indication that I should test the van before the normal due date in Nov 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Thanks for the reply, Samij. The RnR/seatbelts are very good I believe, and brand new, so hopefully will have no issues. Will dig a bit deeper on VRT conversion site.

Advertisement