Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glass hob cleaner

Options
  • 08-07-2019 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Can anyone recommend a glass hob cleaner and scraper.

I have 4 rings of tar/grease on my hob that will only seem to remove if I use a pointy knife. I know this could scratch the surface of the glass, but I only tried a small area and it didn't scratch.

I tried coating the areas with baking soda and vinegar for 24 hours to know avail and I also tried coating the areas with pure alcohol also to know avail.

Is there any easier method or cleaning solution, any recommendations would be fantastic as I am "burnt" out trying to remove these stains.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DJTrump

You should get a glass scraper. I got one in Woodies before. If you use that in combination with hob cleaner it works and won’t scratch the surface if done correctly. Don’t use a pointy knife ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Try an oven cleaner. Apply the spray or gel to the stain on the glass hob. Do not get it on aluminium surfaces. Leave overnight and scrub with a scouring pad, Rinse. Keep pets and children away from treatment area. Wear rubber gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi folks

Can anyone recommend a glass hob cleaner and scraper.

I have 4 rings of tar/grease on my hob that will only seem to remove if I use a pointy knife. I know this could scratch the surface of the glass, but I only tried a small area and it didn't scratch.

I tried coating the areas with baking soda and vinegar for 24 hours to know avail and I also tried coating the areas with pure alcohol also to know avail.

Is there any easier method or cleaning solution, any recommendations would be fantastic as I am "burnt" out trying to remove these stains.

What you need is a Stanley utility knife blade: the one that looks like a triangle with the top lopped off and with two small notches cut out of it.

Wet the hob with some soapy water

Hold the blade at an angle of 45 degrees, cutting edge flat against the hob

Use a slicing action (going forward but slicing sideways at the same time - effectively making arc motions) to slice off the muck

You can press quite hard and repeat slice an area to get everything off and you won't scratch the surface. Its only if you dig in with a point that you'll scratch - which can't happen when the cutting edge is held flat against the hob.

Our 6 year old hob is as new. Clean regularily this way and don't keep cooking on the dirt otherwise it will etch in

Advertisement