Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To filter or not?

Options
  • 22-09-2018 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I have one of those “American-style” Samsung Fridge Freezers that has chilled water and an ice-maker. There is a water filter external to the unit too, which needs to be replaced every six months. A Samsung-branded filter costs €50 in Harvey Norman or £18.50 on Amazon. Not cheap!
    But now I’m wondering, is the filter even necessary? I’m in Cork City and the water tastes fine. Do other Boards members bother with these filters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

You're in the wrong place if you're asking what AAM members are doing...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would the filters not help remove lime, which might otherwise play havoc with the dispenser workings? Maybe the water in Cork is soft?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Less than 20 every six months isn't expensive. I used brita jug filters before we got our American fridge 10 years ago. I can't remember how much per month but it was a lot more than I'm paying now for the fridge filter.

I do remember reading years ago that parts of Ireland had better quality drinking water than bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

byte wrote: »
    Would the filters not help remove lime, which might otherwise play havoc with the dispenser workings? Maybe the water in Cork is soft?

Probably, but lime only become an issue in heated water systems like washing machines. It leaves no deposits when the water is cold. And hard water generally tastes better than soft water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭db

A filter will do nothing to remove lime from the water. Not will it remove ecoli etc. It will filter any grit or dirt in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with bypassing the (external) water filter on their fridge? Have a Samsung fridge also and considering taking out the filter entirely but unsure if this is advisable.

Our tap water where we are in Dublin seems perfect to me and as such my only reason for doubt is whether the inner workings of the fridge freezer require filtered water. I get the impression that it wouldn't make any difference and that the filters are part money-making-racket/part only for those with poor quality water.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

frankled wrote:
    Just wondering if anybody has any experience with bypassing the (external) water filter on their fridge? Have a Samsung fridge also and considering taking out the filter entirely but unsure if this is advisable.

Why bother taking it out? A friend who has an American fridge for over 20 years still has the original filter in place.

I prefer to change mine every 6 months. If you work out how much you would spend on bottled water in the 6 months then the cost of the filter is tiny

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Why bother taking it out? A friend who has an American fridge for over 20 years still has the original filter in place.

I prefer to change mine every 6 months. If you work out how much you would spend on bottled water in the 6 months then the cost of the filter is tiny

Rarely bother with bottled water, if ever- and I made a mess of the old filter so now it's a case of buying a new one or just joining the pipe.

Have no requirement for filtered water once the internal mechanisms of the fridge don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Don't bother changing the filter. The notification on the front of the fridge is based on a timer, it doesn't detect a clogged filter so it can be safely reset time and time again.

Most water in Ireland is relatively sediment free, but having the fillet in place I would think prevents grit from getting into the refrigerated pipework in the appliance after a water cut.

I have not noticed a perceptible difference in taste between filleted water from the fridge dispenser or unfiltered chilled tap water. The ice can become tainted after a while though.

Don't bother changing the filter. The notification on the front of the fridge is based on a timer, it doesn't detect a clogged filter so it can be safely reset time and time again.

Most water in Ireland is relatively sediment free, but having the fillet in place I would think prevents grit from getting into the refrigerated pipework in the appliance after a water cut.

I have not noticed a perceptible difference in taste between filleted water from the fridge dispenser or unfiltered chilled tap water. The ice can become tainted after a while though.

Need a new one so will buy one now and leave that as it is.

Hadn't thought of the possibility of sediment getting into the supply as a result of works etc.- that's a good enough reason to keep one there I suppose.

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement