Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of booking an appt with Optilase

Options
  • 16-05-2019 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all.
    I went to a consultation with Optical Express a few days ago in Cork. Very friendly staff and seemed very professional. Very pushy about paying the deposit on the spot though and seemed kind of in a hurry when going through the explanation of the surgical procedures. The end price came to around 5900 euros which is very expensive!!

I was thinking of going to a free consultation with Optilase also as I've seen great reviews of it online, here especially. Just had a few queries that hopefully those of you who've had experience with Optilase can help me out with.

Regarding surgery, Optical Express were explaining Lasik and Lasek to me. They said I qualified for Lasik (got a "You must be delighted!!" from them at least five times). I've heard however that there is less chance of an infection with Lasek, and also Lasek is cheaper due to the fact only one machine is used. They did not mention these facts at all, except only that there is a 1/2 day recovery period for Lasik compared to the 5/7 day recovery period for Lasek.

Also just wondering what the "standard procedure" means compared to Lasik/Lasek? I've also heard that it is better to wait until after you're 21 to get laser eye treatment. I'm turning 21 at the end of the year so I'm sure that won't make the hugest difference, plus the fact my prescription has been fairly stable over the last few years (-7, -8). I also have astigmatism in one eye which might help account for the pricey quote given by Optical Express.

Regarding Optilase pricing, is the 1000 euro discount for Aviva health insurance still ongoing? And the 15 per cent reduction with other health insurance providers? I think the 20% tax relief is also with Optilase. Also, I've seen suggestions that it is possibly cheaper in Dublin than it would be in Limerick/Cork, is that true? Is there also a 10 per cent student discount?

By the way, does any one possibly have a referral code from Optilase?
    Thank you so much in advance and for any insight on my above queries :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Funpop

Hi there.

I have sent you a PM there with a friend referral code.

All the best with the surgery.

Thanks!
    Hi all.
    I went to a consultation with Optical Express a few days ago in Cork. Very friendly staff and seemed very professional. Very pushy about paying the deposit on the spot though and seemed kind of in a hurry when going through the explanation of the surgical procedures. The end price came to around 5900 euros which is very expensive!!

I was thinking of going to a free consultation with Optilase also as I've seen great reviews of it online, here especially. Just had a few queries that hopefully those of you who've had experience with Optilase can help me out with.

Regarding surgery, Optical Express were explaining Lasik and Lasek to me. They said I qualified for Lasik (got a "You must be delighted!!" from them at least five times). I've heard however that there is less chance of an infection with Lasek, and also Lasek is cheaper due to the fact only one machine is used. They did not mention these facts at all, except only that there is a 1/2 day recovery period for Lasik compared to the 5/7 day recovery period for Lasek.

Also just wondering what the "standard procedure" means compared to Lasik/Lasek? I've also heard that it is better to wait until after you're 21 to get laser eye treatment. I'm turning 21 at the end of the year so I'm sure that won't make the hugest difference, plus the fact my prescription has been fairly stable over the last few years (-7, -8). I also have astigmatism in one eye which might help account for the pricey quote given by Optical Express.

Regarding Optilase pricing, is the 1000 euro discount for Aviva health insurance still ongoing? And the 15 per cent reduction with other health insurance providers? I think the 20% tax relief is also with Optilase. Also, I've seen suggestions that it is possibly cheaper in Dublin than it would be in Limerick/Cork, is that true? Is there also a 10 per cent student discount?

By the way, does any one possibly have a referral code from Optilase?
    Thank you so much in advance and for any insight on my above queries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Willy Speareshake

Thanks a million for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Funpop

You’re very welcome.

I hope the consultation goes well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just be aware, I gave somebody a refer-a-friend code for the place I got mine done in (can't remember which one it was) and they told the person that it couldn't be combined with the Health Insurance discount/cashback. Basically, they were treating the health insurance bit as a special offer/discount rather than a claim.

When I had it done, there was a significant amount that could be claimed back from revenue. Between this and the insurance bit, my €4k procedure cost about 2k. If you're working and paying tax it's worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Willy Speareshake

Hi LionelNashe, thanks for letting me know. I will definitely check into that :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement