Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bone grafting _ Peridonist

• 22-07-2019 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

I went to the dentist for my regular check up and clean last week and he always carries out xrays as part of the checkup.

He told me I had lost a lost of bone about 50% above one tooth and he said it was hereditary in about 15% of the population. There was nothing you could do about it, that I risked tooth loss in 10 years but there is a new bone grafting treatment that will stop this happening.

I have good dental hygiene, I floss and I have no gum bleeding. I don't even have a filling, this came out of the blue after he took the normal xrays. He has referred me to a peridonist for treatment and my appointment came through for a couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard of this before? I have heard of tooth loss from bad oral hygiene etc but not hereditary issues? I am worried about this, I have never had an issue with my teeth before and I don't want treatment for no reason that is going to cause me issues with my teeth. I also can't understand why this is only showing up now if there is 50% tooth loss above one tooth and the other xrays are only 7 months old?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

What age are you? What tooth is it?
    Can you post the x rays?

You can get localised forms of aggressive periodontitis that you might find in a incisor or molar but not in 15% of population (probably much less than 1% in Ireland). Higher prevalence in certain population groups e.g Afro-Carribean. These tend to have earlier onset in life and are quite aggressive but are also uncommon. Definitely best managed by a periodontist.

Important thing is that you get the right diagnosis from the get go so you can get the right treatment. Because what you suggest is 50% bone loss in 7 months??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AMFitz

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a copy of the xray, he sent it straight across. Yes, I can't believe it, it doesn't make any sense to me. I thought if there was something seriously wrong I could be able to tell. I was very taken aback by his reaction.

I'm in my early 40s and it's above one of my incisors or so he told me. It's the one tooth I had to wear a brace for many years ago as it was not aligned with my other incisors.

Advertisement