Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passenger Records that are not Ellis Island

• 02-10-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are records available for US immigrants for anywhere else besides Ellis Island?

This site is great but only does Ellis and I think I have to consider other entry points as I can't find my relation at Ellis.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Ellis Island served immigrants coming into NYC from 1892-1954. From 1850-late 1880s NYC immigrants came into Castle Garden, before that the ships just rolled up on the docks of Manhattan.

Up to the 1830s the busiest immigrant port was Philadelphia. After that New York took the vast majority of immigrants. The next biggest ports in the US from north to south (by numbers of immigrants) were Boston; Charleston, South Carolina; New Orleans, Louisiana; Galveston, Texas. There was also many smaller ports such as the coastal towns of Connecticut.

Don't forget Canada. Countless Irish immigrants took a boat to Canada because it was cheaper and then made their way south to the US.

Ancestry and Familysearch have the largest number of passenger lists. Examples:
    Boston, 1899-1940 on Familysearch
    Canadian Ports, 1865-1935 on Ancestry

Other big websites are MyHeritage, Findmypast, Archives.com.

If they have not been digitized then there are lots of old school publications of passenger lists. Philby's Passenger and Immigrant List Index is the standout.

If you want to give more specifics I might be able to give you better direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

thanks Coolnabacky1873

Yup I'm stuck and can't seem to think 'outside the box' on this one.
    These are the details I know, but can't seem to find the person on Ellis foundation site.

Name: Annie Keogh
    Born: June 1908, Scotland
    Arrived in New York: 23 October 1926 aged 18years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Names such as Keogh have the potential to be mis-transcribed or spelled any number of ways on the original manifest, so it could be something like that.

Both Ancestry and Familysearch have New York passenger lists for that port and year.

Where did you get the arrival date information? If it was from a document created later in her life then the arrival date could be off by a couple of years due to incorrect recollection. I've seen that countless times.

I found an Annie McKeogh coming into NY in 1926 but the year of birth (1870) does not match https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KXM2-C3Q

The closest match I could find was this person, arriving in 1927, age 24. Treat the ages as you would on census forms, there can by anything up to +-10 between reported age and actual.

Familysearch link to NY records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Annie Keogh aged 18, father Thomas Keogh, 52 Shuttle St, Kilsyth, Scotland, arrived New York on 31 Oct 1926, heading for her Aunt, Mrs Bridget Crossland, in Glendale. She travelled on the SS Cameronia from Glasgow.

Thanks KildareFan... that's her exactly.
    Where did you get that info, the Ellis island website?

• Advertisement

Well that's decided it for me so.... I'm going to sign up for one of those subscription sites over the winter and lock myself away for a month and fill in all the blanks.
    Thanks for you help KildareFan, I appreciate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well I already know of my family in America from my fathers side but I have no idea if I have any from my mothers side.

I tried to look into this but it is very hard to do because the United States census will just say that the person is just born in Ireland never where exactly. How are you supposed to work this out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

owenc wrote: »
    Well I already know of my family in America from my fathers side but I have no idea if I have any from my mothers side.

I tried to look into this but it is very hard to do because the United States census will just say that the person is just born in Ireland never where exactly. How are you supposed to work this out?

The census will sometimes give the year of arrival - use that to search the passenger lists which sometimes give details of the place of origin, sometimes giving actual addresses for contacts at home as well as forwarding addresses in the US. Unfortunately some passenger lists give minimal information.

Check for naturalisation papers [need to have a subscription to ancestry.com] if they have applied. These papers can give more information.

Advertisement