Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find relatives before 1901

Options
  • 20-04-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello, I hope someone could point me in the right direction.

I have managed to find out my the great grandfather of my grandfather, his name was Hugh Kelly and he was a blacksmith under "Knocklyon County Dublin", i know the exact location of where he lived and everything after that.

I want to find out where Hugh himself came from and who his father was. There is a story in my family that the Kellys came to Dublin via County Wicklow after starting out in Wexford town.

Can anyone out there help me? Perhaps someone has already investigated this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

have you located Hugh on the 1901 census ?

It should show his county of birth..

You first step should probably be following up Hugh's marriage as should how his father's name and occupation - assuming the marriage was 1864 or later. If you dont know his wife's maiden name then another step would be the birth cert, or baptism, of one of their children... this should make the marriage search easier, although with a common surname like Kelly this may not be easy..

Is this your Hugh in 1901 ?
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Tallagh/Knocklyon/1312405/
    born Co. Dublin, wife's name Elizabeth

and 1911 - Hugh is deceased - so we dont get number of years married for Elizabeth...
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Tallagh/Knocklyon/87204/

The 1911 return includes a stepson named Patrick and a son to Elizabeth named Patrick Farrell - maybe both Hugo snr. and Elizabeth were married twice ?

Shane

possible baptism for the one of the younger children

Baptism of Maria Terese Kelly of Firhouse - 1899
    Bohernabreena RC Parish, Co. Dublin
    Parents are Hugonis Kelly & Elizabeth Loughlin

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C.ENGSTUDENT

Thanks shane, that is the hugh kelly im talking about.

But his place of birth is simply "dublin" , I want to find out where in dublin and who his father was.

It seems very hard becaue i cant get anything before 1901.

I might check the graveyard in Tallaght Village to find his plot, perhaps his father is buried there and the gravestone will have the fathers name

his place of birth is entered as 'Co. Dublin' - which usually means outside the city.

I'd start the search with the marriage of Hugh and Elizabeth, as this will show his father's name and occupation.. I've had a quick search but didn't see any good matches. The problem is the area comes under Dublin South registration district - which also covers the southern half of the city.

Shane

You have been very helpful shane, thank you.

I will pm you to let you know how i get on with my search.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

When you look at the 1911 census for the family it lists Patrick Kelly as Elizabeths Stepson, but lists Patrick Farrell as her son..

If you look at the 1901 Census there are like 2 families which makes it look like they had 2 familys, Kate seems to be the oldest of the younger family, giving her a birth date of about 1894, so I searched for a marriage between an Elizabeth Farrell and Hugh Kelly and theres a match for them both in 1893
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYCW-82F
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYCW-J3D

Sorry Shanew I hadn't seen your part of your post about the possible second marriages for both!!!

Farrell appears to be Elizabeth's married name alright - but usually there would be two entries for her on the BMD Index - one under the surname of her first husband, and another as her true maiden name... which appears to be Loughlin ?

As well as Marie Terese there's a baptism and birth of a Hugh Kelly to Hugh Kelly and Elizabeth Loughlin that looks possible... he's by far the least common name so possible to search for his birth reference - and there's just one good match.

name: Hugh Kelly
    registration district: Dublin South
    event type: BIRTHS
    registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1898
    volume number: 2
    page number: 588

His birth cert would show father's occupation..

p.s. it's definitely worth following up that marriage in reply #7...

Shane

How Common is it to have a womans married name and maiden recorded for a second marriage, I just checked for a member of my husbands who was married in 1911 her husband died and then she married again in 1919 and it's only her married name that theres a record under...

• Advertisement

dido2 wrote: »
    How Common is it to have a womans married name and maiden recorded for a second marriage, I just checked for a member of my husbands who was married in 1911 her husband died and then she married again in 1919 and it's only her married name that theres a record under...

not sure how common this was, or if it was general practice or not.

I come across far more 2nd marriages for men than for women, but on any I've seen both surnames for the bride are on the cert and Index.

Hopefully both surnames would be recorded on the cert in this case... otherwise connecting the dots might not be easy..

Was this the case on the certs you had ?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hi - Hugh Kelly [my great grandfather] was born in Friarstown Lower, Tallaght, in 1845. He was married twice; Elizabeth Laughlin Farrell was his second wife. Hugh was her second husband. I have more information if you can PM me.

pm sent :)

Hi Shanew, i only just saw your reply now!!!

In regards to this particular second marriage, the wife is down as Spinster, and the surname is of her first husband, it is the right person, but only for the fact that we have other info to verify this is the same person who married twice, we could have been led on a wild goose chase!!! Both her maiden name and the surname of her first husband aren't the usual surnames so it's easy enough to pin point her...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Helcal

Hi all. . .i still L. plates on here. . .hugh kelly blacksmith was my great grandfather in knocklyon. . Can anyone out there please point me in the right direction for getting info. . .is it worth subscribing to some of these sites. .,.find my past etc. . .do they have necessary info?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hi - I've sent you a private message.

Advertisement