Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fenian bonds

• 01-10-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

They must have surely kept some kind of register of people who bought a Fenian Bond in 1866. I have never come across anything of the like so I'm just throwing out the question?
    Thinking again, perhaps anyone wanting to buy one would not like a record of the purchase kept and therefore no records ever existed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

http://www.rarecoin.com/library/Fenian.html

Have you tried contacting the A.O.H. in the States?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

mod9maple wrote: »
    http://www.rarecoin.com/library/Fenian.html

Have you tried contacting the A.O.H. in the States?

Thank you for putting up that link. I had never heard about those bonds.

Quote "The early U.S. Navy had so many Irish that official orders were written and spoke in Irish not English." - really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thank you for putting up that link. I had never heard about those bonds.

Quote "The early U.S. Navy had so many Irish that official orders were written and spoke in Irish not English." - really?

Here's another thing along the same lines - anyone a big fan of Westerns? Check out any film set during the so-called Indian wars; all the Cavalry troops have American drawls and speak perfect English. As an experiment go check the list of those who died with Custer at the Little Bighorn. Not only are many of the troops Irish but some were fresh off the boat. Think they all spoke English? Think again. At the very least they spoke colloquial English with a variety of accents from here. There were also other Europeans like German and Scandinavian. No-one would think it watching a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I keep forgetting that Custer actually fought the real Americans! Everyone else was from somewhere else. I think its time for an authentic remake of Custer's Last Stand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Nonsense, they obviously never read about the stopping and press-ganging of former British sailors from American ships. Or the action between HMS Leopard and the USS Chesapeake Or the nonsense claim on the same site "In England the Revolutionary War was called "The Irish Uprising in the American Colonies".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Thanks for the replies. I did not expect to get a definitive answer - as I suspect there is no register.
    I was only thinking about it the other night when I was looking at a Fenian Bond that I have. It has a number on the top corner which got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool to discover who originally bought this bond and if there was a register that corresponds with each number issued.
    If there was a register kept it would be a pretty impressive source for genealogists, especially those in America looking at there ancestors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

hblock21 wrote: »
    If there was a register kept it would be a pretty impressive source for genealogists, especially those in America looking at there ancestors.

Oh how I wish. I've done research on what records might still exist for 19th C Irish organizations in the US. The short answer is very few unfortunately. There are some for various organizations in the late 19th C but I have not come across many from the mid 19th C (NY Emigrant Savings Bank being an exception).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It’s highly probable that there never was a ‘register’ of the bond holders.

A bond is an investment in an entity, iusually higher in the scheme of things than a share/equity. The return on the bond investment usually is paid semi-annually and called the ‘coupon’ rather than interest. The reason for this dates to the manner in which proof of the investment was shown by a printed/engraved bond, along the side of which was a strip of coupons, each one of which was dated. On the appropriate date the bondholder tore off a coupon, presented it to the bank and was paid his ‘interest’ or ‘coupon’. At the end of the period the bond was handed in (‘redeemed’) and the investor got the capital sum back. As these bonds were ‘bearer’ bonds they were untraceable so if you lost your bond you lost your proof of ownership/investment as there was no register. (Hence their use in James Bond type movies where the baddie always wants the ransome or pay-off in bearer bonds!)

Looking at an online image of a Fenian bond there are no coupons. Instead, interest was at a rate of six percent per anum, with all to be repaid within six months after the acknowledgement of the independence of the Irish nation. They eventually were honoured by De Valera and those who could produce the actual bonds got the cash!

Advertisement