Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have your ever done a DNA test? What were your results?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Took one a few years ago as my Dad was adopted and we wanted to find out more about his biological family. He had been adopted by an Irish-American family who was very proud of their Irish heritage. When they adopted him, they were convinced he was of Irish heritage too because they found him in a Catholic orphanage and he had black hair and green eyes. But he also has very tan, olive skin, so the rest of the family wasn't entirely convinced. And he grew up (this was the 40s/50s) in a very Irish American neighborhood and said he always felt like he didn't fit in.

Turns out his mother was from the Dingle peninsula (according to both Ancestry and 23andMe) and his father was Hawaiian-Portuguese of Azorean and Madeiran heritage. We were able to connect with some half siblings on either side (both of his bio parents had passed by this time) and they shared some photos and Dad looks like a carbon copy of his bio dad.

I know DNA tests are controversial for some of the reasons in this thread, but they provided our family with some answers that would have otherwise been hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Mine is 85% Irish/Scottish (I do have Scottish names in my recent ancestry) and the rest is Hungary/ Ukraine. My dad has the same with a bit of Finnish thrown in. My mum is mostly Scottish (Orcadian I think) with a bit of Greek and Spanish.

I think the accuracy will improve as more people have it done. It's been very interesting and I have connected with people around the world with DNA matches and surname research.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was never really interested in doing this before , but now I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Who's the best crowd to do the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I was well aware before doing it as to the results since Ive traced all my ancestors back to about 1800 and they are all from Cork or Kerry. I did it not because of any interest in the ethnicity estimate but as a way of fact checking my family tree by checking people with shared DNA and finding the common ancestor.

547800.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

cj maxx wrote: »
    I was never really interested in doing this before , but now I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Who's the best crowd to do the test?

AncestryDNA is the most accurate and representative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I will be the contrarian view and say I've found 23andMe to be more accurate. Ancestry has me at 13% Portuguese, while 23andMe has me at 26%, which is more in line with my grandfather being of full Portuguese heritage. Ancestry has had me at 25% Portuguese before, but they're always revising their algorithms and the latest one brought me down to 13%.

That said, I've always taken the admixtures with a grain of salt. The cousin matches and family trees were how we were able to track down my father's bio parents and Ancestry is better for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    AncestryDNA is the most accurate and representative.

What parameters do they check?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I did both the Ancestry and the 23andMe tests, and uploaded the data to another site, because I have missing family members on both my mother and father's side.
    I haven't found any close enough to determine for sure, but I might need another family member to take a test in order to tell which side further out cousins are from.

Last time I checked, I was very much Irish with a little Scottish thrown in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

YFlyer wrote: »
    What parameters do they check?

They test your autosomal DNA which comes from both parents and they compare to a reference population sample, which they update periodically. This means your (just for fun not based on solid science yet) ethnicity results will change every year. I tested 4 years ago with them, have made enormous progress with matches and my family tree, but the percentages from different places change regularly. Some places appear and disappear from this part of the test. For example, sometimes I have Scandinavian DNA and sometimes I don't.

The real value of a DNA test is finding and talking to people who match you, which you can then use with records to figure out the connection.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My results and most people I know are pretty precise and accurate on AncestryDNA. It's not 'just for fun'.

• Advertisement

Lecture here given by expert Debbie Kennet, where she discusses how it has improved but still not totally reliable.

Report from Watchdog in the UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/tBX9dq9V9qWV687ddP6lK9/dna-ancestry-kits

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Every day, people give other personal information through faceless websites and apps that could have a lot more of an immediate negative effect on their lives.

Compare the number of people who have had money (or their identities) stolen to the number of people who might possibly have some unknown horror done to or with a sample of their DNA. Which is higher?

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I logged in to my ancestry account for the first time in about 18 months and it seems I have gone from 100% irish to 92% irish, 5% Scottish and 3% welsh.

Fcking Welsh. I dont deserve that.

It's ok, there are dozens of Welsh people out there who live a normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hi_thur_folks

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You could do an autosomal DNA test and take a look for close matches, then talk to them to work out where you might fit in their tree.
    For your father's side, you could also look at Y DNA, but it probably wouldn't give you a lot of detail.

If you were taking a test, I would also recommend talking to your mother first to make sure she's ok with you possibly uncovering something about her birth parents. Also, speaking to a trained social worker or counsellor would be useful too. This kind of stuff can be very emotional.

Only seeing this now - thanks for the reply.
    Yes I don’t think I’m ready to do that just yet, like you said could re open a lot of deep wounds.
    I selfishly would like to know though if I could get around the above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

MoodeRator wrote: »
    547738.jpg

Happy with this, as it also alligns quite accurately with our family tree that goes back centuries

Good test that, very precise.
    May I ask what test is it? as I presume there's several companies out there advertising and wanting our money.

That's the AncestryDNA test.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's the AncestryDNA test.
    Don't bother with those Ancestry DNA kits.

Just announce that you've won the lottery, you'll soon find out who you're related to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

My sister in law's DNA ancestry result failed, a note stated 'we cannot find any human DNA'. My brother told her I always knew I married a monkey!

I'm 95% Irish, 5% Scot. Mostly Kilkenny and Laois based. I have my dad's side traced back to the early 1700s already. My Mam's to the 1100s when they moved from Scotland to Antrim, Antrim to Galway. And then built a 10 pounder castle in East Laois in 1440. They were gallowglass soldiers and my first name is unique enough and easily traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

My sister in law's DNA ancestry result failed, a note stated 'we cannot find any human DNA'. My brother told her I always knew I married a monkey!

I'm 95% Irish, 5% Scot. Mostly Kilkenny and Laois based. I have my dad's side traced back to the early 1700s already. My Mam's to the 1100s when they moved from Scotland to Antrim, Antrim to Galway. And then built a 10 pounder castle in East Laois in 1440. They were gallowglass soldiers and my first name is unique enough and easily traced.

I didn’t know Gallowglasses ended up in Laois. Interestingly the county is named after a group linked to the Cruithin, who came from Irn Bru land.

I didn’t know Gallowglasses ended up in Laois. Interestingly the county is named after a group linked to the Cruithin, who came from Irn Bru land.

Well Antrim to Galway to Laois!

• Advertisement

Am a little bit suspicious of those DNA kits on a few counts.

They only identify where DNA is concentrated today, not where it came from. This country is famous for its large waves of outward migrations, and it's not possible to know whether your relatives went abroad or came here as strangers.

Secondly theres the racial aspect. I think we aren't as fixated with this, in this country, but Americans go crazy to find theres a little bit of native american dna in them. It's very condescending. The Elizabeth Warren effect, maybe.

Fundamentally, it's that idea that your genes and where they originated define the quality of the person that I just find a little off-putting.

Finally, there are the obvious privacy concerns. You're basically selling your DNA, the most unique thing about to, to a private company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I think it’s a misunderstanding of the motivations of a lot of Americans to say that it’s a race driven thing.

While many of us in Europe, Asia, Africa or any of the “old world” usually have a fairly clear sense of who our ancestors likely were, even if we don’t have the exact names and details, many Americans really don’t.

There are records but there are also large numbers of people for whom documents didn’t exist or were very vague.

Many people moved there in search of a new life often not all that keen to preserve links to the past, many others lived as refugees from endless conflicts in countries in Europe, Asia and elsewhere. People fled famines and moved in poverty seeking economic opportunities. Many moved there with no documentation or very limited details and often in eras and circumstances where such records didn’t exist.

Then there’s the absolutely grim history of slavery and people bought and sold, families broken up and origins absolutely obscured and, you’ve Native American connections that were often obscured too by oppression and basically a history of conquest of lands, genocide and attempt erasure of a whole culture.

So for many Americans this is very different to most odd us sitting in Ireland or anywhere in Europe, as most of us have a fair idea of our family tree, even if it’s not that accurate and vague.

If you were adopted, particularly those who were adopted unofficially or illegally, this is also a hugely important technology as it opens up data to them that wouldn’t exist at all otherwise.

However for most of us in Ireland, we’re going to just find a pretty boring dataset that might give you some sense of very old migration patterns back to the Viking era etc, easily explained connections to Britain & continental Europe etc etc or some cousins who moved somewhere far flung, but that data is potentially useful for someone who may ultimately be connected to you and have no idea and is seeking that information because they don’t know.

Obviously your ancestry doesn’t define the person you are now and there’s a lot more to life than all of this but it’s still a huge deal to a lot of people to be able to know who their family were, even if it’s only vague notions.

In a broader demographic sense in old world countries like here, it can also can show migration patterns that explain history in a way that’s not just the records of those who won wars or were dominant culturally.

It can also tell a story that shows we were all migrants at some stage. In a way that to me challenges a lot of the nativism nonsense that goes on. Go back a few centuries in any family tree and you’ll find its a lot broader and more international than most people might realise.

Data is data though. You can use it for good or for bad purposes.

Personally I wouldn’t get too lost in this stuff. You are who you are. Go back far enough and you’ll ultimately find we’re all related anyway.

The bit I always find amusing is when you look at these family tree searches, someone will follow a particular line finding interesting characters, but when you go back a few generations the tree is so wide you’re often getting into thousands of individuals when you go out along any branch and go back very far and you’re talking about connections with huge numbers. It all becomes a bit of a pointless exercise.

Well Antrim to Galway to Laois!

You don't have that much Scottish dna. Your results appear to be typical of any Irish person I have seen.

You don't have that much Scottish dna. Your results appear to be typical of any Irish person I have seen.

Not that much given my ancestors came from Scotland in the 1100s. 30 generations later with intermarriage with Gaelic Irish, mostly in Laois and Kilkenny you'll end up at that percentage.

Any Irish person who intermarried with someone from a line like mine would pick up similar percentage Scottish DNA.

Not that much given my ancestors came from Scotland in the 1100s. 30 generations later with intermarriage with Gaelic Irish, mostly in Laois and Kilkenny you'll end up at that percentage.

Any Irish person who intermarried with someone from a line like mine would pick up similar percentage Scottish DNA.

I dunno most Native Irish have 5-10% Scottish on AncestryDNA, but that’s not actual Scottish Dna just most matched Irish dna that happens to be similar.

Any genuine Scottish Dna that you would have would probably have been bred out long ago.

You might have Scottish Y-DNA though.

I dunno most Native Irish have 5-10% Scottish on AncestryDNA, but that’s not actual Scottish Dna just most matched Irish dna that happens to be similar.

Any genuine Scottish Dna that you would have would probably have been bred out long ago.

You might have Scottish Y-DNA though.

It depends on a lot of factors like how many generations they stayed as a mainly Scottish inter marrying group. The were in Antrim with a lot of other Scottish clans from 1100 to 1400.

There was quite obviously a lot of movement back and forth between Ireland and Scotland, other than the plantation of Ulster era. They’re only a hop skip and a jump apart and given things like the linguistic proximity in both languages and all sorts of other things it’s very unsurprising that you’d get a significant % of links.

I’ve Scottish ancestors on both sides of my family tree and they’re not all that far back and they were due to different histories.

And what do you mean by “genuine Scottish DNA”?! There’s a lot of mingling of populations that are only quite literally a stones throw away from each other.

Even without a DNA test, a quick look around would give you a fairly clear idea that the two places aren’t unrelated.

There was quite obviously a lot of movement back and forth between Ireland and Scotland, other than the plantation of Ulster era. They’re only a hop skip and a jump apart and given things like the linguistic proximity in both languages and all sorts of other things it’s very unsurprising that you’d get a significant % of links.

I’ve Scottish ancestors on both sides of my family tree and they’re not all that far back and they were due to different histories.

And what do you mean by “genuine Scottish DNA”?! There’s a lot of mingling of populations that are only quite literally a stones throw away from each other.

Even without a DNA test, a quick look around would give you a fairly clear idea that the two places aren’t unrelated.

Native Irish people often score a small mismatch of Scottish dna. For the most part, they generally score around 90-95% Irish, so that would suggest to me very little mixing with the Scots population.

I think what you're referring to with intermixing would apply more to Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Wasn't Scotland settled by Irish tribes ?

• Advertisement

Native Irish people often score a small mismatch of Scottish dna.

That’ll give you a fairly good idea of the historical mingling that took place on these islands

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/news-and-events/news/news-article/2019/09/researchers-connect-irish-and-scottish-genetic-maps

Some of it tallies with political history, but more of it connects with stuff like research on movement of things like threads of stories in songs, linguistics, music and so on. A lot of those themes crop up again and again and will tie even into similar stuff in parts of Scandinavia and northern France.

There’s a lot of quite complex history and some of the movements don’t match geopolitical history.

It’s interesting in the sense that there are many, many layers that can show a lot of the realities of life, settlements, cultures, migration etc etc.

Advertisement