Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have your ever done a DNA test? What were your results?

Options
  • 20-03-2021 2:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭

I am interested in genealogy and have got my results on several different sites. AncestryDNA seems to be the best. It is fascinating how the results differ by individual.

Here are my results: lAp966Y.jpg

My Fathers’: xNfvS1r.jpg

My mums: jun2JyE.jpg

Have you done any dna tests? Were the results what you expected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

Proved I was at the scene but a jury of my peers didn’t convict me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Gmaximum wrote: »
    Proved I was at the scene but a jury of my peers didn’t convict me
    And what about your sister the hooker? Did she fail her orals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

B+ in the honours paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Here's mine. Very exotic!!

547577.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

547577.png

Cool! Is that what you expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I got 90% banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Love to do this , I love watching the DNA shows etc and its pretty amazing what they can find out. I don't expect to find out any secrets but who knows !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Inbred.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'd be interested in getting my results but I know that the business model of these companies is:
    1. Offer DNA testing at below-cost
    2. Harvest DNA records of all testees
    3. Sell this data in bundles to the highest bidder - typically pharma companies

Corporations are already profiting off of my tech data. I don't want someone else profiting off of my biological data.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

547577.png

Congrats, you're Irish enough to be allowed to join the National Party. The other planter...not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

coinop wrote: »
    Congrats, you're Irish enough to be allowed to join the National Party. The other planter...not so much.

It's a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd be interested in getting my results but I know that the business model of these companies is:
    1. Offer DNA testing at below-cost
    2. Harvest DNA records of all testees
    3. Sell this data in bundles to the highest bidder - typically pharma companies

Corporations are already profiting off of my tech data. I don't want someone else profiting off of my biological data.

Agreed. There is absolutely no way I’d give a private company access to this information. I’ve actually had a test done to check for a specific mutation and it’s highly controlled what they can do with the sample and data. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

No way.

one Gene that doesn't mean anything TODAY may some day mean you'll never get life or travel insurance..... or potentially a mortgage or personal loan.

My family tree has its fair share of low hanging branches, but I'll not be passing that info to anyone else thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My sister in Canada had one of those DNA “ethnicity” tests done last year, so I would presume I am of the same background. The science behind it is still rather inexact as the use RNA and DNA haplogroup markers - which are open to different interpretations by geneticists.

Hers was 82% Irish, 10% Scandinavian, 3% Iberian and 5% English. So I suppose that’s my ethnic background too...

Anyone else read Stephen Oppenheimer’s excellent books on the origins of human races and the people of Britain and Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I did the ancestry one but under a fake name.
    100% irish with a high focus on monaghan, Leitrim and cork which is where my grandparents are from. Seems that for generations they did no breeding outside their own parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My sister in Canada had one of those DNA “ethnicity” tests done last year, so I would presume I am of the same background. The science behind it is still rather inexact as the use RNA and DNA haplogroup markers - which are open to different interpretations by geneticists.

Hers was 82% Irish, 10% Scandinavian, 3% Iberian and 5% English. So I suppose that’s my ethnic background too...

Anyone else read Stephen Oppenheimer’s excellent books on the origins of human races and the people of Britain and Ireland?

Oppeneheimer’s book was out of date about a year after it came out. Best to forget it at this stage, discoveries in ancient DNA point to a Pontic-Caspian steppe origin of the big DNA group he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

My Dads DNA - very proud of this - 100% Irish

My own - shows 23% Scottish - must come from my mum's side

I have traced my family tree - and all the way back to early/mid 1800 all live within about 10 mile of where I was born!

My Dads DNA

ZJiUhfc.jpg

My DNA

Q79M2ap.jpg

I did the ancestry one but under a fake name.
    100% irish with a high focus on monaghan, Leitrim and cork which is where my grandparents are from. Seems that for generations they did no breeding outside their own parish.

It’s very interesting how they can detect our ancestry right down to the county level.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Cool! Is that what you expected?
    Fairly much, and it proved for once and for all that I'm not adopted!! :D (My parents were tested too.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I did one , but i put in my dogs saliva , im mainly Jack Russell and part Yorkshire terrier.

Can't believe people send off their DNA to God knows where, allowing his knows who to do whatever they want with it!
    Everyone reads the small print yeah?
    Wouldn't be so fast to hand your DNA to database kept in the country I bet!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Can't believe people send off their DNA to God knows where, allowing his knows who to do whatever they want with it!
    Everyone reads the small print yeah?
    Wouldn't be so fast to hand your DNA to database kept in the country I bet!
    Every day, people give other personal information through faceless websites and apps that could have a lot more of an immediate negative effect on their lives.

Compare the number of people who have had money (or their identities) stolen to the number of people who might possibly have some unknown horror done to or with a sample of their DNA. Which is higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Apart from privacy, I'm not particularly interested as I know where I've come from going back to at least late 1700s I don't think it would hold any great surprises.
    If I was a mongrel yank I might express more of an interest.

Every day, people give other personal information through faceless websites and apps that could have a lot more of an immediate negative effect on their lives.

Compare the number of people who have had money (or their identities) stolen to the number of people who might possibly have some unknown horror done to or with a sample of their DNA. Which is higher?

Give it time

Apart from privacy, I'm not particularly interested as I know where I've come from going back to at least late 1700s I don't think it would hold any great surprises.
    If I was a mongrel yank I might express more of an interest.

You never know.. you cannot be confident of your ancestry. Paper trails are not always right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Oppeneheimer’s book was out of date about a year after it came out. Best to forget it at this stage, discoveries in ancient DNA point to a Pontic-Caspian steppe origin of the big DNA group he was talking about.

That's right - Beaker People migrating onto the island with steppe DNA replaced around 90% of the population of neolithic Britain in the space of a 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The DNA test results were very confusing!

4797015834_2a39a3e4a7.jpg

I need a new skin care routine!

I did one and it came out 70% Donegal (specifically and no other part of Ireland ?!) , 20% Scottish (Highlands and Islands) & 10% Norwegian.

Do you have recent Scottish ancestry? Highlands isn’t a region that people here usually get.

• Advertisement

Some, but it’s all Donegal linked. There would have been multiple links back and forth & via the US and back again ... It’s a wee bit complicated!

Seems other than shagging the odd Viking, my ancestors didn’t move much outside Donegal, except to go to the Highlands...

Aw right ok, so that makes sense. Most people here have the SW Scotland or Lowland (Ulster Scots) community.

Advertisement