Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlay Park Par 3 to Reopen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sorry got a moment of excitement in thread name - was thinking something was opening - I'd take anything opening at present as a big story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah it's in an unreal location so should be doing brilliantly. But it's always pretty much empty because of the astro turf greens, absolutely bizarre decision to even put them in in the first place. Be a great option to play again if they are putting real greens back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

One of the highlights of the artificial greens was the build up of static followed by the shock when you earthed yourself taking the ball out of the hole!

Thought the artificial tee boxes were good from a wear and tear point of view, a lot better than the black rubber mats in some P&P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I played it once after they put in the artificial greens and never went back. Great to hear they're doing something about it. It's an ideal location and piece of land for par 3 golf, just needs proper grass greens and it could be back to it's glory days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Carr Golf were responsible for the abomination that it became.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/marlay-park-has-designs-on-golf-for-all-weathers-1.669490
    They spent at least €500k on it. I had heard the final cost was twice that! cant find a reference.

It was a onetime classic par 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I grew up playing on Marlay Par 3, which is mad considering I am a member of the course next door :)
    Was a great little track with a brutal uphill finishing hole, seems funny looking at it now and wondering why I was hitting a driver (tiny, wooden Christy O'Connor Jnr) off the tee!
    I never played it when they went astro, the tees made sense but anything I heard about the greens was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

GreeBo wrote: »
    I grew up playing on Marlay Par 3, which is mad considering I am a member of the course next door :)
    Was a great little track with a brutal uphill finishing hole, seems funny looking at it now and wondering why I was hitting a driver (tiny, wooden Christy O'Connor Jnr) off the tee!
    I never played it when they went astro, the tees made sense but anything I heard about the greens was bad.

I think the last was something like 208yds uphill

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Carr Golf were responsible for the abomination that it became.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/marlay-park-has-designs-on-golf-for-all-weathers-1.669490
    They spent at least €500k on it. I had heard the final cost was twice that! cant find a reference.

It was a onetime classic par 3.

im-shocked-shocked-i-tell-you-no-just-a-minute-im-not-shocked-at-all.jpg

Advertisement