Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long-term iron deficiency?

Options
  • 05-01-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi. Apologies if this is in the incorrect place. I'm a 25 year old woman who has been deficient in iron on and off for the past 4 years at least. There has been a cycle of me getting a blood test and being found to be iron deficient, being prescribed iron tablets for 6 months, getting a blood test 6 months later and having good iron levels, then coming off iron tablets.

A few months later I always find that I'm iron deficient again. I used to donate blood quite regularly but for the last while I can't as every time I try I'm iron deficient.

I have a good diet and do eat a decent amount of iron rich food, I don't have a heavy menstrual pattern, or anything that flags as being a clear reason for my continued low iron.

My GP's only solution is to put me on iron supplements for 6 months as above but that just doesn't work long-term. I'm permanently low on energy because of it and it's really frustrating. I'm wondering if anyone else can relate or know of any underlying issue that may be the cause, or other treatment option I could take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Make sure you have vitamin C rich foods or a glass of Orange juice along with your iron rich foods. Vitamin C helps your body to absorb the iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Make sure you have vitamin C rich foods or a glass of Orange juice along with your iron rich foods. Vitamin C helps your body to absorb the iron.

Thank you. My iron tablets have vitamin C in them and I usually take it with orange juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP I was like this for years. I think they talked about " malabsorption" which the C is supposed to help.

I was moving around a lot so stopped worrying/tests etc. A test 4 years ago saw me below but I was in hospital in July and I think it was OK then.

My lack of energy is not iron deficiency linked though.

Advertisement