Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you rejoin your club for next year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

callaway92 wrote: »
    When a club offers a 'free month' to existing members, what does that even mean?

They take the amount of one month off the total amount (eg €80) or they give you 13 months worth?

If the latter, would you just end up paying full fee the next year anyway, so an extra month etc isn't really an incentive.

hardly that complex, the membership runs from joining date to the next year, so 12 months

now it goes for 13 months instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Well Seve above is a perfect example of how you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's a great gesture yet you still are not happy. I would imagine most clubs are not offering free membership for all the time we were locked out through no fault of the clubs.

Tesco, you knew the lay of the land with comps before you rejoined so why is it now "a joke"? Why did you rejoin? Honest question. If you don't like it go somewhere else, there is people waiting to happily take your place.

There has also been an increase on flexi members greenfee by a euro, which equates to one less round of golf if you break down the credits.

Robbing peter to pay paul comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

hardly that complex, the membership runs from joining date to the next year, so 12 months

now it goes for 13 months instead

Most clubs don't operate like that as far as I know. its usually to the end of the year. I remember joining up to a course in April as a country member and then been asked for my membership for the next year in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

etxp wrote: »
    Most clubs don't operate like that as far as I know. its usually to the end of the year. I remember joining up to a course in April as a country member and then been asked for my membership for the next year in September!

Yeh my club is Jan to Jan so my questioning was along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

There has also been an increase on flexi members greenfee by a euro, which equates to one less round of golf if you break down the credits.

Robbing peter to pay paul comes to mind.
    Yeah I saw that was put in! Still great value in my opinion. I'm surprised it is still so cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that was put in! Still great value in my opinion. I'm surprised it is still so cheap.

Not saying its bad value, its more the fact that it was put in alongside the news of extra months to soften the message.

So while its good to hear about additional members times and the extra month its reasonable aswell to allow people to analyze the parameters and give feedback.

Nothing is ever free when you look close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

So I asked the question back in October when people were CONFIDENT that golf would get back to normal at start of this year, so knowing now that the future is uncertain, I ask will you be renewing your membership under the present uncertainty.. FTR I've paid up for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

My club has offered members that pay up-front before 28th Feb will receive an 8.5% discount and will also receive 4 x Five Day complimentary Green Fees (valued at €100) ...which is wrong because Mon-Thurs Green Fees are still just €20 in high season and lower than that in low season

The incentives are cool but I'm still not budging tbh until the last-minute here not knowing what's gonna happen with Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i will be keeping up my monthly DD

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

It sounds like there is waiting lists in all golf courses now so if you don't pay up and leave someone will take your place, golf is soo popular now, friends of mine who have never swung a golf club in their lives are looking to take it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,551 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’m paid up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Stacksey wrote: »
    It sounds like there is waiting lists in all golf courses now so if you don't pay up and leave someone will take your place, golf is soo popular now, friends of mine who have never swung a golf club in their lives are looking to take it up.

People took it up because it was the only sport you could play at one point last year. Now it’s banned just like everything else, there’s not a chance there will be a similar level of membership this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    So I asked the question back in October when people were CONFIDENT that golf would get back to normal at start of this year, so knowing now that the future is uncertain, I ask will you be renewing your membership under the present uncertainty.. FTR I've paid up for 2021

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Know quite a few who can’t justify membership fees at nearly €2,000 and are taking a leave of absence for this year. Golf may not recommence till April so paying over an amount of lets say €1,500 till the weather turns in November doesn’t represent good value. I’d say a fair few clubs are sweating, new members will join but a cohort of established members may skip a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd still payup even if there was a zombie apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Interesting question.

I guess it is a fairly personal thing. Depends on type of club you are in , your financial situation. Covid is an extremely unfair and random. Some people have not been impacted much at all. Others - nightmare stuff.

I think people who have not been impacted at all should pay up , no even questions. Particularly for ones in life clubs/ family clubs.

I think when you are in the right club and a great club. You don't even consider the fee as a cost at all. Hard to describe, but It is more in line with your mortgage / pension / a charitable contribution.

One thing I would have issue with, was the restricted time sheet . I'm fine with whatever the gui come up with. But the club were also adding additional restrictions like . Not adjusting for daylight/ ending play too early , not making certain days available for all members when free , enabling excessive play by individuals. The timesheets were unfair and a mess to be honest.

But . Overall, I'm happy and very lucky to be able to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭kyleman

Rikand wrote: »

As Rikand says I would do the same.
    Love my club which had a heavy debt and the future locked bleak for a while so will happily pay my full subscription even if its a very shortened year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

As long as I still have my job and can afford to pay the subs then I will do so. If I did have to stop paying due to financial reasons I would explain my situation to them in the hope I could rejoin when I could afford it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Moved club last September. Will stay there for foreseeable future.its quite a step down in quality but was never gonna get the value out of staying at my previous club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Will be paying my subs this month, yep it could be march before we play but there's a great bunch of people working on the committee to keep the club going which is working hard to service a long term debt, there were a load of new members brought in last year on an offer which I've no problem with, everyone gets a good deal when joining, those folks got a great one but it's what was needed to keep the club going during this crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

As long as I still have my job and can afford to pay the subs then I will do so. If I did have to stop paying due to financial reasons I would explain my situation to them in the hope I could rejoin when I could afford it again.

This

My Dad is in his 70s and will continue to rejoin. Reasonable fee in his club and the social interaction was priceless for the times in 2020 that he could get out with his friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

Yes, Will rejoin this year. It is my third different club over my life due to house/work moves and I am very happy in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rikand wrote: »

this is quite easy to say when you are in a country club that charges a few hundred per year.

would you pay a couple of grand in the zombie apocalypse?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Unlikely.
    Last year was a write off. Club was partially closed due to works even when covid allowed.
    Dont really care about a handicap or competitions

Think i will save the cash and play a few times and travel to other courses to play instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seve OB wrote: »
    this is quite easy to say when you are in a country club that charges a few hundred per year.

would you pay a couple of grand in the zombie apocalypse?

If there was a plan to address said apocalypse then yes, otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    If there was a plan to address said apocalypse then yes, otherwise no.

And if you have had your income decimated over the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

carq wrote: »
    Unlikely.
    Last year was a write off. Club was partially closed due to works even when covid allowed.
    Dont really care about a handicap or competitions

Think i will save the cash and play a few times and travel to other courses to play instead.

You could do worse than join The Boards Golf Society, check out list of courses for 2021 in another thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seve OB wrote: »
    And if you have had your income decimated over the last year?

I don't understand the question...
    If I can afford it I'm paying it, if I can't afford it I'm not paying it.

I think it's obvious that someone who can't afford to pay it isn't going to pay it...?:confused:

Advertisement