Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ewers would improve our starting team which is the main thing, and hopefully any other signing does the same. Reffell looks like a shrewd enough move for our depth but others have fallen a little flat and we're in desperate need of players (forwards mostly) that raise our ceiling. Kitshoff will, ideally, help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If you cut the fat, Bradshaw Ryan; Carter, Madigan, Milanosovic and some others, thersplenty of funds available. Ewers is a hard nosed lad, who should help. Another good lock would help. Maybe Sheridan gets promoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

If you did get rid of many of those would you have plenty of funds? Cant see FBR, Milanosovic especially being on that huge a wage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ewers signed from Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Madigan is back in the hot seat. He's playing for a new contract and I think Ulster will renew.

I thought he was out in the cold but apparently he was just injured. I presume he will go again with Doak v Sale.

• Advertisement

Flannery is supposedly off to Munster. He hasn't made any impact for Ulster. So it's possible that Madigan gets a contract. I doubt that Ulster will sign a marquee out half. They could be better served by moving Doak to out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ulster have already confirmed they want Flannery to stay. Not sure he will be in a rush to go back behind two international outhalves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If I was Flannery I'd be calling Nucifora before agreeing any move (or even to stay).

Not that Nucifora would have a view from an international stand point about Flannery's future. Rather Nucifora claimed in November that he was looking for some way to add additional game time to fringe players. If that is a cup competition centered on international windows he might be better in Munster behind 2 international outhalves rather than in Ulster where Burns and Madigan will stay around and still want game time. If its an emerging Ireland tour centered on fringe provincial players it mightn't matter.

I can't say Ulster have given him a massive shot so far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Flannery is likely to go back to Munster and be first choice until November which will give him an opportunity to boost his profile. If he starts 3 games, he'll roughly equal all the game time he has had in his career to date.

From his perspective, I would imagine he's thinking he can go home, have one last shot at impressing professional coaches and making it and, if it doesn't click, he's already back home and can start looking at his next career move whether that is in the world or rugby or otherwise.

If he stays in Ulster, there's no evidence that he's going to be anything aside from third choice (and possibly further down the pecking order) with all those ahead of him still present during the RWC.

I would imagine moving to Munster is actually a fairly attractive option for a young outhalf if there are 4-5 games played by the end of the RWC. It will give them an opportunity they would be unlikely to get otherwise. It's a very unique situation where the current three Munster outhalves are all likely to be out of the picture during the RWC (two of them undoubtedly).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - Flannery would get more 1st team Rugby in the first 3 months of next season in Munster than he has in his entire career to date.

Ulster have barely used him and have gone for 2 scrum-halves covering the position rather than use him at times, so the move back "home" probably makes a lot of sense for him.

• Advertisement

Oddly, the initial disappointment with this squad from an Ulster perspective might actually conceal the fact that this selection could be a positive for the team.

More players free to be comparatively stronger for those games around the 6N, and surely guys like Treadwell, Timoney, Lowry and Hume are extra motivated now to prove AF wrong.

Ulster will be strong. Good for Leinster that the interpro's are done.

Ulster Rugby team to play Sale Sharks, Heineken Champions Cup Round 4, Saturday 21 January at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 8pm), live on BT Sport:

(15-9): Michael Lowry, Rob Lyttle, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Andy Warwick, Tom Stewart, Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Sam Carter, Harry Sheridan, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham.

Interesting to see Doak start ahead of Cooney, and another big start for Tom Stewart. Sheridan starts at 6, presume Henderson is hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Henderson went off last week with an HIA. Don't know a lot about Sheridan to be honest.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Very excited to see Sheridan play. Still confused about what’s happening with Izuchukwu.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

All I've heard is he's got a habit of being late for training etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

What's the story with Addison he's been out for ages.

I'd release Addison after his contract is up. He's hardly played. Very good player, very poor injury profile.

If Izzy is late to training it shows immaturity, imo. If true, very poor from the lad.

Sheridan is a good prospect. I hope he goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Oof, yea that will do it. Hopefully he turns that around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Shehal

The Irish teams this weekend don't seem to know what a ruck is anymore.

• Advertisement

Ulster try 5-3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Robbo is hyped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

C'mon Ulster the ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Either I have no idea what off your feet means anymore of this ref is a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

I just wish he would shut the feck up.

He brings nothing to the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Stockdale looks much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wow that yellow is harsh.

Ulster's discipline really is atrocious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

While I would expect Ulster to lose a last 16 clash the money from reaching the last 16 is valuable and reaching a knockout stage would be a small achievement of its own.

Herring try Ulster 15-11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Eh was that a rising sun flag in the crowd

Advertisement