Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

100% correct it has nothing to do with the league,they might be slightly off and it's only slightly and other teams are giving a little extra when they face Limerick.Last year was no different against Clare 3 draws which could have been 3 narrow defeats or victories.Lets wait and see how it plays out before we start writing them off

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads where's Aidan o Connor from ballybrown? Surely an option off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Yes he was very good for the 21s last year, he was on the frees too but I thought he was as impressive as English and O'Brien, has been on the panel throughout the league so maybe Kiely doesn't think he's ready yet?

Minors well beaten tonight by Clare in Munster, looking at their players in schools, u20s, colleges and ours are we gone behind them in player development? Alot of smoke gets blown up the academy by pundits etc. but we're no longer ahead of Tipp, Cork or Clare in Munster now, W'ford have their own challenges. A dose of reality for all concerned the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭shocs07

Don't really agree on the player development front. Plenty good hurlers on last year's 14s, 15s and 16s panels

• Registered Users Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We are not gonna get another team like this one but if the academy can do enough that we are not waiting 45 years for another All Ireland it is doing its job.

Also a great minor/20 team usually is only half the battle as you also have to factor in how good the seniors they will blend into are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Academy needs change. Cork are well out in front on player development for underage and will remain there. Too many players and a good system now. The Limerick academy system needs a reboot..it locks kids outside it abit..doesn't factor in late development at all and it's just grown stale. It needs a few tweets.

The bigger issue is schools and specifically Harty hurling. 1 school isn't good enough especially when half the squad is from Clare. Cork and Tipp have 4 Harty Schools. Limerick should have 3. Doon, Castletroy and Ard Scoil and the conveyor belt needs to be kept going

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

We won the league playing in 2nd gear which hardly qualifies as going all out for it. Its almost a competition in itself now to see who can be most rubbish in the league to "go under the radar" or some other cliche that gets trotted out when we discover they are are flying it in May (training blocks, peaking etc etc etc). Think we just won the "least rubbish in the league" competition this year. It doesn't mean anything in the same was as not winning it doesn't mean anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

No word yet on Finn's injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

It's funny how perception can change after the event.

Now obviously it is not an insight into John Kiely's mind but have a look back at the pages here before the semi and the final, multiple posts from the same posters here now decreeing that Limerick were only going through the motions stating that among others 'it will be full blooded' 'we will go all out to win it' 'Kiley doesn't do holding back' 'why would we hold back' ............its a pity they got rid of the multi quote function but you get the picture!

It anyone thinks that the second half of the league semi or the first three quarters of the final was 'playing in 2nd gear' you obviously have a very inflated opinion of the team or you are deluding yourself. Either that or the car only has three gears!

Obviously it goes without saying when it came to the semi final and final Limerick went out to win it who wouldn't.The point being made was that the team was heavily rotated throughout the league up to that .Would have thought that was plain for anyone to see but maybe not to everyone.

• Advertisement

And was clear that if we didn't make the knockouts no one would have been too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Who will win between Cork & Tipperary this weekend?

They are the two opponents Limerick have left, i would think Tipp going to Ennis and beating Clare was a better result than Cork beating a Waterford team who got tactics all wrong or else arent up to much. Cant get the flat performance that Cork put up against Kilkenny in league semi final out of my head so i'll go with Tipp on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭C4000

Random stat which I thought was interesting: championship scorers from play during John Kiely's reign:

Gillane: 9-69

T. Morrissey 1-83

Hegarty: 6-67

Flanagan: 5-50

Hayes: 7-36

Casey: 2-47

Mulcahy: 4-38

Lynch: 1-39

Byrnes: 1-27

O'Donovan: 1-19

Dowling: 2-10

Hannon: 0-15

Reidy 0-14

Nash 0-12

O'Neill: 0-12

Ryan: 1-8

O'Donoghue: 0-8

Dempsey: 1-3

Boylan 1-2

D. Morrissey 0-4

Murphy: 1-0

O'Loughlin: 0-2

Breen: 0-2

Browne: 0-1

O'Reilly: 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Do you have minutes played to go alongside that?

No, just total overall scores, regardless of appearances made

Surprised to see Tom Morrissey in 2nd place considering he spends half his time winning ball in his own half,fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I know he had a spell up front but unreal going from Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

Finn did his ACL. Big blow. Casey will replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭shocs07

Ya awful shame.

Probably stops the idea of moving Barry Nash up the field. Would have liked to have seen him put midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭moby2101

Christ

Tough blow for Finn and the team. One of the best cornerbacks of the last 10 years.

• Advertisement

Very unlucky some player,hopefully he comes back as good as ever.Suppose it's lucky it's one place we have good cover

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

Wishing him a speedy recovery.. Great player for ye over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Point is it bears no relevance at all. It would bear no relavence if we hammered Waterford and Clare. It bears no relevance to the fact we lost to Clare. The league is just something people like to talk about like it has an impact on championship when it doesnt. The reasons Limerick might be a little off or that others are closing the gap will be to do with other factors. "Going for the league" especially when you rotated the whole way through it isnt a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I agree the semi final performance of Cork against Kilkenny looked very flat but I remember thinking at the time that this Cork team didn't look like they were desperately trying to win, going for points from impossible angles etc. Tipp otoh were gifted the first 3 goals by clare. Obviously I'm hoping for a Tipp win as it would probably see them through with two home games remaining. Hopefully both Sean Finn and Tadhg de burca have speedy recoveries.

Tipp v cork is too close to call, as far as we're concerned anything but a draw

If Clare beat waterford and then lose to Cork, we'd be out if Tipp beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

We just have to win our last 2 games 😊Cork will find it tough with 2 away games left

Safest best is just win our remaining games. i must admit if I thought 4 goals were to be scored that it would have been tipp that scored them they're giving up goal chances and theres also goals in that cork fb line.

Of course I could be wrong but hope I'm not.

I think clare will beat cork that would be huge for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I would struggle to see waterford winning any of their matchs left & Think clare will beat Cork in Ennis.

That would all mean if Tipp were to beat Limerick in Thurles it would all come down to last match between Limerick v Cork in gaelic grounds for third & Final spot!

• Advertisement

If I had to call it I think everyone is going to win their remaining home games except Waterford. It's gonna be a nerve wracking few weeks.

Advertisement