Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benjamin Shaw

Options
  • 27-11-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Just watching the Tongyeong Korean ITU race from earlier this year and noticed Ben Shaw was racing under the ITU and not IRL flag. Commentator mentioned he was switching countries.

I couldn't see anything online but its a real shame as he had represented Ireland from junior level. Anyone know what the story is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Interestingly it's the same with his result in Japan
    http://http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=792

I'd also suggest under the eligibility rules indicated here http://http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=792

He has possibly not been released by TI to race for the other country and must race under a neutral flag for a purgatory period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Apologies for picking up an old thread, but what was the reason for Ben Shaw to stop competing under the Irish Flag?? Just finally watching highlights from ITU San Diego and spotted him still competing under the ITU flag. Does anyone know the story here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TriWazza

Would imagine he declared for Ireland to get starts in ITU racing. Now that he has improved the Australian Triathlon Federation might be willing to support him and he's declaring for Australia again. He is an Australian and lives there so I guess it makes sense for him. Just my opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

As above. He's an Australian. He has to race for a time under the itu banner to then be able to move back to race as an Aussie, not sure how long though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ah, I didn't realise he actually originally Australian! Makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Always seemed a bit of an enigma to me. I never saw him race here over the years (could be wrong) and raced for ITU/Australia for a period. Was he back competing for Ireland? I seem to recall seeing him last year racing in the super league under an Irish flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Pretty sure he raced a National Sprint champs one year and won by a fair bit. (just double checked, 2014 Crooked lake)

Remember reading something about a family member being very sick recently and he stepped away for a while from the sport (that might be wrong though). Not an excuse but just might be why he hasn't had any results the last while. Good swimmer/biker when he competed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Interesting that he is not appealing or challenging the result and is going the retirement route as a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

sconhome wrote: »
    Interesting that he is not appealing or challenging the result and is going the retirement route as a way out.

I think that is the best reaction from him. I see it as commendable and dont see it as weaseling out. Basically an admission of guilt and not going to waste other people's time and effort fighting. I wish more people caught would do this.

Also retirement is his only option if he's not fighting. Four year ban brings him to 32. He was never at the top of the sport to make big money and wont make big money in those last few years if he made a comeback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement