Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hope it works out.

Last interview didn't sound like he had any interest or desire.

Don't doubt his talent but don't think it's our biggest need.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Delighted to see him back involved. He brings a freedom of movement and play that spooks opposition.
    What is Mac Niallias' best position:
    1) If he was put onto Dublin panel (for example) with good players all around him to get the best out of him
    2) To suit Donegals style if Ryan mc hugh stays as a half back and Murphy spending most of time in midfield (NFL Quarterback position).

For me:
    1) Full forward line with freedom to drift in/out to half forward line as flow of game dictates. Think he is smart enough to ghost into the gaps even in mass defences.
    2) Murphy and Mc Fadden named and play in midfield and Mc Niallas to be named as forward but play as attacking midfielder with minimal defensive duties/mindset.

Hopefully he is fit for our league games and gets a run of matches under his belt before championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I always felt that his best role was close to the full forward line with the freedom to drift in and out. Problem is that's where Murphy plays which pushes MacNiallais further out and gives him more defensive duties. He played well in his last two games versus Roscommon and Tyrone as an orthodox full forward when McBrearty was injured so that's always an option.

So we should have McMenamin, McFF, Gallen, MacNiallais and perhaps Gillespie available next year from the team that played against Cavan. The main positive I take from MacNiallais coming back and Neil staying on is that morale must be good in the camp and they're looking to give it a right go this year.

On Lacey, if I recall he went straight from playing to being a selector so after 16/17 years he could surely do with a break. Would be good to see him take on the minors or u20s or a good club side to see if he can be a potential Donegal manager down the line. No harm in freshening up the backroom team every couple of years either.

Antoin McFadden in as S&C and James Gallagher as GK coach (again?).

I was reading the Donegal News ranking of all clubs there and they mention Aidan McLaughlin playing a few times for Muff last year. Was a fine hardy minor wing back, pity injuries have robbed him of a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

We’ve heard (and rightfully so) repeated calls for Murphy since the Rory Gallagher days to be reinstalled permanently at full forward. The last few years, being what it was...barren for a while with the gaping hole left by Neil Gallagher in midfield, amongst other gaping holes, we grudgingly accepted our situation.
    Now, with the new recruits almost up to speed and standard...I find that Murphy seems too often come out second best in 1-on-1’s when left inside. I can understand if he’s double or triple marked like how they used to have to marshall him.
    It makes me wonder if the position in which he was once the most dangerous is going forward the best position for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

Interesting article by devenney here
    Basically... Our forwards have come through so well because they have to be at their best to beat the blankets in club football but the defenders aren't been tested to the same level with the security of them.
    Might have a point, while we have been unlucky with injuries and had some unbelievable talent to replace, there is no where near the same conveyor belt in defence like the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

https://donegalgaa.ie/2021/01/25/karl-lacey-is-new-head-of-academy-development-for-donegal-gaa/

Anyone else see anything wrong with this?

Can the executive create positions like this without approval of county committee?
    Is it a paid role or voluntary? If it's paid, was the position advertised and interviews conducted accordingly? Who's going to pay his salary given that the county is already strapped for cash?

Another example of the GAA pandering to the elite footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

https://donegalgaa.ie/2021/01/25/karl-lacey-is-new-head-of-academy-development-for-donegal-gaa/

Anyone else see anything wrong with this?

Can the executive create positions like this without approval of county committee?
    Is it a paid role or voluntary? If it's paid, was the position advertised and interviews conducted accordingly? Who's going to pay his salary given that the county is already strapped for cash?

Another example of the GAA pandering to the elite footballer.
    I'm delighted to see a progressive appointment by the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

Is it a paid role or voluntary? If it's paid, was the position advertised and interviews conducted accordingly? Who's going to pay his salary given that the county is already strapped for cash?.

Can't say I've followed the appointment and you would have to hope proper procedures were followed, but you'd have to imagine he would have been a standout candidate given his qualifications nevermind playing/coaching experience on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Quite the opposite. A great appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I'm not questioning the man's credentials - I believe he's Donegal's most decorated player with 4 All-Stars - what I'm questioning is...is the appointment process and the need for yet another paid position within the county set up. We already have a 'Games Development Manager' and a coaching officer and now a 'Head of Academy Development'. We haven't being exactly blazing a trail lately in underage football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I'm not questioning the man's credentials - I believe he's Donegal's most decorated player with 4 All-Stars - what I'm questioning is...is the appointment process and the need for yet another paid position within the county set up. We already have a 'Games Development Manager' and a coaching officer and now a 'Head of Academy Development'. We haven't being exactly blazing a trail lately in underage football.

Is that not the point of all the restructuring?

I don't know much more about this role but how do we know it's paid? Lacey is working full time with LYIT so it's not like he needs a job. It dovetails quite nicely with his current profession anyway so i'm sure it will benefit both parties.

Plenty of things to moan about, the fact we've one of our best ever footballers in a role that he is qualified to do isn't one of them.

I get the point bob, indeed, I would have concerns in general about this academy approach leading to further 'elitism' and don't buy into the fluff around 'a rising tide' in the press release, but that's a separate issue.

Reality is, only certain positions in the GAA are voted on let alone advertised. Lacey is qualified and has put in time with County post his playing career so that alone means that he is worthy. And sure, he was elite, but few gave as much as he did for as long to Donegal through bad times and then good, so I don't think this is the hill to die on if you have concerns about governance.

Delighted to see him continue to be involved. Hopefully he continues to develop as a coach and develops one or two players in the same mold as himself. Would love to see him take the Seniors some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Appointments and departures aplenty on the Club scene but the one that continues to be a bit of head scratcher is Maxi Curran. On the coaching ticket on Gaoth Dobhair (you would presume a sideline/managerial role if KC is planning on playing again). Yet, he is still at the helm with with the Co. Ladies Team. is this workable? (based on a return to normal activity)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

He possibly took those jobs based on it not being a regular year? So he might get away with it. Cassidy mightn’t play as much this year. He looked much better a few years ago.

Wonder if today’s events will change the actions of a few in this county!

Well good to have something to talk about again.

Down, maybe Derry, and then possibly the 2020 or 2017 Ulster Champions to come before any Final.

Will have to earn this one.

Good to hear reports of players at the back coming back.

Michael Murphy turning 32 in August. Hopefully the rest will have done him good. Looking forward to seeing the lads in action. With McFadden Ferry, McNelis and Gillespie back, hopefully it’ll give a different couple of options to Bonner if he can get them up to speed in time for championship. It could be Bonner’s last year at the helm as well. The boys could be mentally in a place to give it a good rattle this year...here’s hoping!

Good win for the hurlers today in our hurling fortress.

Mad that the footballers will play their first competitive game of the year on 15 May and I for one have no idea who is likely to start. Hopefully everyone expected to play this year is fit and available.

• Advertisement

Finally

No EBG in the 26.

Another chance for McCole maybe.

The prodigal son named on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Finally

No EBG in the 26.

Another chance for McCole maybe.

The prodigal son named on the bench.

No sign of Stephen McMenamin either, hopefully himself and EBG just have minor setbacks because they're a pair of top class backs. Although even with themselves out, I like the 6 backs we're sending out, and will be good to see McCole get a run as you say. Caolan Ward is a good battler too and I hope he leaves his mark today

I'm liking Mogan being listed as a forward for the day as well. This match should be good craic, and hopefully as the game progresses we'll see the likes of Gallen, Brennan, and especially the prodigal son himself brought on.

I have to admit I'm giddy at the thought of seeing MacNiallais in green and gold again, although based on exchanges with a handful of other supporters I understand that not everyone is as sold on him as I am!

That's some hammering for the hurlers. Lots of hurling down here mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

This young fella Neil Magee looks promising

Always a good day.

One of our players is cold.

Great to beat them uns.

Don't think we learned much yesterday. Good to see them back on the pitch and we kicked some lovely scores.

I thought Donaghy looked a baller in the club championship and backed that up yesterday. How he looks against a Championship defence remains to be seen. McKenna looked off the pace, I wonder if a year away from the professional game might have reduced some of the advantage he had last year. Still, if they can field McShane, McKenna and Donaghy in the summer, with Canavan and Brennan in reserve, that's more firepower than they have had in a long time.

But, if we can get McMenamin, McFadden Ferry and, at a stretch, Gillespie back in our defence, it should tighten. And of course EBG. McCole did ok in the corner, he is quicker than I imagined.

Some in the NFL thread mention our lack of killer instinct, I think it's a fair point. There wasn't anything to be gained by running up a big score yesterday but we leave ourselves vulnerable to sucker punches, especially to a hit and hope style punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yeah, only thing I learned on Saturday was that McCole is a better defender than I had previously given him credit for, was quite impressed with him. Also good to see us having options on the bench. As you say RSF, add those 4 into the mix for the back 6 and we have a decent panel. The only concern for me remains CB, I don't know who can fill that position but I know who I don't think is good enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Some in the NFL thread mention our lack of killer instinct, I think it's a fair point. There wasn't anything to be gained by running up a big score yesterday but we leave ourselves vulnerable to sucker punches, especially to a hit and hope style punt.

I think theres an element of truth to what they were saying about a lack of killer instinct, but I would contend its not so much an issue with killer instinct, rather an issue with shot selection. We were having pops from long-range, and our conversion rate was pretty good on the day - but I couldn't help but think when I was watching the game that these are the exact shots (from Langan, O'Donnell & Brennan especially) that we don't convert in the do-or-die matches.

I remember in Castlebar we put 5 wide back to back to back (x5!) when we'd managed to get ourselves back in the game - and while these were long range, we'd been scoring from these areas for the whole summer up to that point. Similarly, our point taking went to pot against Cavan, to the point that we only put up a pitiful handful of scores in the second half.

I suppose I'd just like to see us forcing ourselves to get in closer and make the points be a bit more systematic rather than reliant on the raw talent of the forward which can come or go on the big day.I just think it would stand to us in the bigger games to not be relying on 40-50 metre wonderscores under pressure and in sh*te weather! All of this is conjecture tho, and as posters have said its never a bad day when you get one over Tyrone and hopefully we'll continue to show our strengths in this mini-Ulster!

• Advertisement

I’m still not sold on Eoin McHugh. Okay, I know he’s quick. So is Usain Bolt but I think there’s better ballers in our county than him.
    Monaghan appear to be on the downward curve but I’d be weary of a bounceback after the sting of the armagh defeat. Hopefully we’ll start learning how to put games to bed when we get the opportunity and give lads on the bench the needed game time.
    I know it’s very early days but I’ve a feeling Rochford might slot in to replace Bonner after the championship. I don’t think he’d be worse than the last assistant who took over the reins.

Advertisement