Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owen Hart - 20 Years Passed

Options
  • 23-05-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there hasn't been more in media circles today, given it's 20 years since Owen Hart passed away today.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard Owen died. I'd have been innocent enough back then, hating the bad guys etc, but there was something special about Owen. I didn't hate him. I quite enjoyed his matches with the likes of Bret, Shawn, HHH, Austin etc down through the years.

It stuns me sometimes to think how fast time flies by. 20 years, gone in the blink of an eye, it seems at times. Owen's death hit me harder than almost any of the others (Eddie's being the exception).

What is your fondest memory of The Rocket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

i remember watching this live when it happened. even before lawlor and jr had their now infamous clip where they announced owen had died, you knew something was terribly wrong. the tribute show on raw was very sad too. owen really was a fantastic wrestler and i suppose my main memories are of his feud with bret in 1994. he was only 34 when he died and who knows where he would have gone. not only was he a great wrestler, but he was very entertaining and charismatic. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If there was ever a wrestler who effortlessly and genuinely made you think it was real, then it was Owen.

Looking back on his work after all these years you can really appreciate how he went about things. He was an out and out heel and played the part down to a tee.

His death was made all the more tragic due to the fact that he died entertaining the fans.

It's been such a pity how things have played out with his wife etc over the years. Definitely one who was taken before his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

dont really remember hearing the news but remembering vividly watching the tribute show as i was young dont think i really understood how hard it was to see it untill eddie died.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I remember playing an Under 11s soccer match just outside Limerick, and all the lads talking about it afterwards. One of them must have been allowed to stay up late to see Over The Edge live. The rest of us were waiting to borrow it on tape and thought he must have been making it up. We were way too young to appreciate what had happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was a horrible event and I don’t know if anyone here has heard the Spanish commentary from that night. The Spanish announcers had their mics open as the blue blazer promo they showed was in English and they were translating it live. There is a loud bang early on which is Owen hitting the ring/turnbuckle hard and the Spanish lads start shouting. I’ve heard it once years ago and it horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also given that jerry lawyer was all about fun and laughing. And after Owens fall and his was white as a ghost. It was clear things were bad just from the Kings reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

Just finished listening the the Grilling JR over the edge episode.
    Kind of hard to listen to in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

An awful tragedy and loss to wrestling. From listening to Cornette's podcast, Vince's plan after Bret left was to have Owen be the new Canadian hero of the company. Michaels and Hunter ruined that by burying him with the 'nugget' jibes. I think Owen taking on the guys that had screwed his brother would have been an epic storyline if they could have just put the egos aside.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

My parent's house was poorly insulated in those days, especially the sitting room, and I always brought my blanket down to watch wrestling PPVs. I made the mistake of lying down on the couch and getting too comfortable. I fell asleep sometime before the incident and woke up during the Undertaker vs. Stone Cold match. The commentators made no reference to the incident that I could decipher, so I went off to bed just disappointed that I missed a large chunk of the event and caught a few hours of sleep before school in the morning. There were several wrestling fans in my primary school class and we would always discuss wrestling on a Monday morning before our teacher let us in, I didn't know Owen fell and died until a classmate mentioned it to me when we were queuing up outside of our classroom. I remember being pissed off with myself thinking I'll never see the PPV ever again. Sky Box Office used to show continuous back-to-back repeats of PPVs for about a week, but I think that particular one was aired on Sky Sports 1 and I can't remember if they even showed repeats of the ones on Sky Sports, but they definitely weren't going to show a repeat of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭briany

An awful tragedy and loss to wrestling. From listening to Cornette's podcast, Vince's plan after Bret left was to have Owen be the new Canadian hero of the company. Michaels and Hunter ruined that by burying him with the 'nugget' jibes. I think Owen taking on the guys that had screwed his brother would have been an epic storyline if they could have just put the egos aside.

I don't think that Owen would have had the promo skills to really carry this off. He was a brilliant wrestler, but there's a reason he never really rose above the mid-card, and any Owen v. McMahon/The Corporation storyline that they would have tried to do would have been swept up in the tide of Austin v. McMahon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement