Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Dream job' interview: tempted to say no

Options
  • 15-05-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this (not so big) issue. I think that writing it out might also help me to decide.

I did a PhD around 5 years ago. I enjoyed doing it at the time but I wasn't committed to a life of research but enjoyed the teaching. I went from the PhD to an academic role where I was bullied and ended up leaving. My role was very much focused on teaching and I had zero time for research. I moved into academic admin at a middle-management level and really enjoy my team, my location, and my work (most of the time!) although I am on a fixed term contract and again have little time for research. My role is developing quite quickly and there is talk of bring additional staff in which might also mean the chance of promotion or being made permanent or both!

Months and months ago I applied to a lecturing role in another college. I never heard back from them and figured that I wasn't short listed. Yesterday I got an email saying that they apologize for the delay but the short listing couldn't take place due to the HOD being on sick leave. I have been invited to be interviewed which will include a number of presentations, an competency-based interview, and another form of exam. I have done these before and have been unsuccessful as I don't publish that frequently (due to high workload) which is what you need to do to become a lecturer, tbh. I am weary about taking this interview as it would involve a LOT of energy from my end and I would doubt that I would get it plus I am content where I am now (though the money wouldn't be nearly as good).

So, boardsies, do I go for the interview and put myself through it though I don't *really* want it and know I probably won't get it? Or do I just cancel it, knowing that I don't need the practice (as I've done them before) and just commit myself to my current role?

Thanks in advance x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,044 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't actually see your dilemma here.
    You clearly have nothing on your pro's list and you don't even want the job.

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 coredev123

It might be a good experience nonetheless? I'd say do it. If you get an offer than you can decide if you actually want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I would personally do it for the experience considering you could eventually want to get a similar role again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

OP I'm confused. You refer to this as your dream job in the title, but then say you don't really want it?

If you're sure you don't want it, then I wouldn't bother going for the interview. It doesn't sound like you even need the interview experience, so I think it would just be a waste of your time and theirs.

However if there's any possibility that you'd accept the job if you were offered it, then you should go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

woodchuck wrote: »

However if there's any possibility that you'd accept the job if you were offered it, then you should go for it!

This is it OP. If you got offered the job would you accept it? If so, do the interview, if not, then don't imo. As you already know, academic interviews are typically a lot more effort / hoops than a lot of other normal interviews so a lot of trouble just for experience sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Give yourself choices. Others will restrict them often enough but on no account should you do that job for them.

Go balls out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't think any of us can really tell you what to do but I would say 'no', OP. You say you are very happy in your current role and it is better paid too. I think just being in a job you are happy in is something to hold onto very tightly. I would never let that go.
    I too have a PhD and ended up leaving a postdoctoral position to take up a clerical job actually (have since been promoted and very happy). I left academia due to the insane amount of work expected and the poor pay. Nothing could entice me back. I loved the actual work but had to get off the merry go round as the money just was not enough for the hours you have to put in. Those interviews are bloody insane as well. There's a lot of me in this post, sorry. I just tend to warn everyone away from academia now because you can put so much work in for so little return. How many times have you put blood, sweat and tears into grant applications only to get rejected with very little feedback or how many times have you pumped loads of energy into crazy interviews with multiple hoops only to be rejected again with very little feedback. Life is so so short. You can still write and research independently at your ease and nobody can take that PhD away from you. I still tinker away at stuff in my own time when I feel like it (which is not very often!). Please think carefully about potentially walking away from a job you are happy in and entering back into that world of take take take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I say go for it because the interview would be good experience. However it sounds like you are happy and there are good prospects where you are.

As an aside, academia in Ireland is rife with bullying. In some colleges it is effectively an unwritten form of management and a way to keep wages low because of high turnover in staff.

Advertisement