Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use a soap bar instead of shower gel?

Options
  • 02-05-2019 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭

I was dandering around the supermarket the other day and saw a Dettol soap bar for sale. Had a sniff and quite pleasant. Didn't buy it yet though.

I haven't used a soap bar in years, last being the Imperial Leather blue sporty one. I remember it always had a distinctive smell.

But like many I'm sure most have been using liquid shower gels for years.

But wondering if anyone here still sues a soap bar, or could recommend one for me to try. Don't mind paying good money for a luxury one either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I'm not a guy but I love a bar of soap in the bath for shaving my legs and I really recommend L'Occitane shea butter soaps. They are triple milled so very dense and last ages and don't get those horrible unsightly cracks in the bar.
    Shea butter is nice and moisturizing too so skin doesn't feel dry after.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd be concerned about fragrance in that case though, I'd like something maybe aimed more at men.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The only Men's soaps I ever really see are the one's in gifts sets at Christmas. I don't spend ages looking for them tough in boots/etc.
    I have a funny brand and a Ted Baker one.
    If you Google it tough you get up a few things.

I use soap. Same one for years. Don't like shower gel at all but it's what I used when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I know what you mean some soaps aimed at the female market can be heavily fragranced towards a more perfumed end but I think the L'Occitane one has just a fresh and clean aroma not really perfumed at all.
    However I'm sure a guy will be along with better suggestions for you I know myself the next time I'm buying soap I want to buy a more locally produced soap with good ingredients and I've been recommended to try Sophies Soaps based in Westmeath but has an online shop so fingers crossed for her soaps as I've looked up her soaps online and love her ethos and quality of ingredients etc.

• Advertisement

Would love there to be an Irish soap out there I could try, always willing to support Irish firms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

There’s a really nice tea tree bar of soap available in pretty much all of the health shops, green cardboard packaging, and it’s lovely. It only costs around €3, but isn’t Irish, nearly sure it’s Australian. My husband settled on this a few years ago and now it’s all he’ll use, even brings it when we go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Not sure where in the country you are but there are loads of Irish soap companies. The Galway market has a lady selling ones she makes and in limerick the same. I'm a woman and like you had only used shower gels for years but there is increased evidence linking liquid shampoos and shower gels to breast cancer in women so I now only use soap bars, shampoo and conditioner bars and face soaps. Several of my friends and family members have switched also and none would go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I'm with the gals on here, and glad to see that I'm not the only one. It's one of my little luxuries in life - handmade soaps with lovely smells made using natural ingredients. Really for a couple of bob they bring a lot of pleasure. The smell and feel of them are just lovely, would put you in a good mood. For men, fragrances like sandalwood, cedarwood, bergamot might be popular. Tea tree too, though for me tea tree makes my skin react, but that's just an oddity. I have to buy special soaps now for himself or else he steals mine and uses them all up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Those fancier soaps work very well and don't seem to dry my skin as much as some gels.

There's a huge amount of waste involved in plastic bottles of gel.

In general, it's getting a bit ridiculous. Even for household products it's become increasingly difficult to find washing powders. They're mostly liquids all of a sudden and I much preferred the idea of a cardboard box.

Ireland's somehow producing more plastic waste per capita than any other EU country and it seems that the retailers and manufacturers keep pushing more and more towards plastics containers of liquids.

The one thing you do need for soaps though is a proper wall mounted soap dish that lets them drain and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have been using soap for years. Ever since I got my mortgage. One of my cost savings things at the time.

Now I just prefer it.

It’s cheap
    It’s not cold like shower gel
    Not wasting a lot of plastic
    I don’t really see the point in shower gel. Sure you spill a lot as well.

I just use dove. Nothing fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

NIMAN wrote: »

That's made by Colgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Irish Spring is a US soap brand. It's nothing to do with Ireland and wasn't ever produced here.

Marketing wheeze based on Irish landscapes being fresh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Find myself starting to go back to soap, for a few reasons - less plastic packaging being one.

I had shaving soap that lasted me years, need to get another one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

I'm also big soap fan Dove for years oh and imperial leather.I always wash my daughter in it too nothing beats smell of soap of her skin for a cuddle at night before bed.Buy a soap dish with a lid otherwise keeps melting in shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was dandering around the supermarket the other day and saw a Dettol soap bar for sale. Had a sniff and quite pleasant. Didn't buy it yet though.

I haven't used a soap bar in years, last being the Imperial Leather blue sporty one. I remember it always had a distinctive smell.

But like many I'm sure most have been using liquid shower gels for years.

But wondering if anyone here still sues a soap bar, or could recommend one for me to try. Don't mind paying good money for a luxury one either.

Aye I usually wash with dove or something not very strong smelling first then a quick blast with some shower gel afterwards. I find the bar of soap seems to do a better job of making me feel clean.

As for Irish soaps, try this https://marblehillonline.com/product/soap-off-cuts/ you might find something you like in their off cuts and you can't get much more local than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Keep it simple lads, the green Palmolive is the way to go. Lovely lather, nice scent.

Now, going back a bit, my grandparents would have had this red bar of soap at their home, which would have been a modest small farm in rural Ireland. This particular soap was found in a lot of homes at the time I remember, it was red in colour with a somewhat antiseptic smell. I wonder if anyone else knows/remembers what I mean, I'm trying to recall the name ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I have been using soap for years. Ever since I got my mortgage. One of my cost savings things at the time.

Now I just prefer it.

It’s cheap
    It’s not cold like shower gel
    Not wasting a lot of plastic
    I don’t really see the point in shower gel. Sure you spill a lot as well.

I just use dove. Nothing fancy.

Same here, except for the mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

skallywag wrote: »
    Keep it simple lads, the green Palmolive is the way to go. Lovely lather, nice scent.

Now, going back a bit, my grandparents would have had this red bar of soap at their home, which would have been a modest small farm in rural Ireland. This particular soap was found in a lot of homes at the time I remember, it was red in colour with a somewhat antiseptic smell. I wonder if anyone else knows/remembers what I mean, I'm trying to recall the name ...

Was it lifebuoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

noby wrote: »
    Was it lifebuoy?

That instantly sounds familiar, may well have been :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I'd say you could be thinking of Carbolic Soap

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Wright's Coal Tar soap. You can get it in Tesco. Can't bate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

That's made by Colgate

Their ads are great though - make us all seem clean and manly (albeit in a somewhat homoerotic way).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Keep it simple lads, the green Palmolive is the way to go.

Lol. That's not simple.

I actually keep it simple.

A bar of Simple Soap. No perfume, no smelly crap, just good clean soap.

Soap all the way for me. I find it much handier to use. Cheap too and less plastic to dispose off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Always use carbolic soap on the hands after farming or gardening.

I’m afraid in the shower its head and shoulders all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I use Simple soap bar. I find I like to wash all over with that first, especially the face and head (I've a shaved head).

I have a face / beard wash which I use as well, and sometimes use a scrub.

Then I use shower gel, the Radox purple one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Highly recommend https://www.palmfreeirishsoap.ie/ Especially if you are being environmentally conscious

Based down in Clare and incredible value

Have used their https://www.palmfreeirishsoap.ie/online-shop/thyme-travel-shampoo as a shaving soap with a safety razor and it's excellent.

Advertisement