Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain this story

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Well la-de-dah
    A level 9 qualification is de-rigueur in an awful lot of jobs in the real world if you ever want to lift yourself off the bottom rung of the ladder.

Fair play and all, but teachers don't have a monopoly on being educated.

The point in making is that when I qualified as a graduate, I had to pay to do my level 9.
    If you’re a graduate from commerce, you can go straight in to work for the big 4 who will pay you while you do your postgraduate/professional studies.

You are not comparing like with like in any way, shape or form and you seem intent on having a go at our terms and conditions.

Jog on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

So you’re literally pulling an extra €12k a year out of your arse?

That's the facts is it not? You can correct me if I am wrong.
    Salaries are paid for 9 months. Pro-rated over 12 months is €48000.
    Others work for an extra three months each year so it is only fair to highlight pro rated terms as well.

Also, and this point is important.
    Teachers are not just graduates, they are double graduates.
    Degree and masters and for many, especially in science and languages, this can take 6 years to obtain.

A starting salary of €36k for 6 years in university is reasonable I would have thought.

This is not unique to just teachers, but a Masters and further education (e.g. QFA or accounting exams) is a pretty a must have for others as well. Used to be a Leaving Cert could get you a job in the civil service. It wouldn't even get you a look in now, where a degree is a de-facto requirement to have the best chance of starting as a clerical officer for example.

Well if they can extrapolate out 48k pro rata, then they can %%%%%%: extrapolate back in the extra curricular, lunchtime meetings and work I bring home every night.

I notice these experts never disclose their own pay slips, pension plans and qualifications.

How do ya like dem apples ... and oranges?

There is time built into the work week to allow for non-class time. They are teachers that work extra on top of that, but again, that's not unique to the teaching profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The point in making is that when I qualified as a graduate, I had to pay to do my level 9.
    If you’re a graduate from commerce, you can go straight in to work for the big 4 who will pay you while you do your postgraduate/professional studies.

You are not comparing like with like in any way, shape or form and you seem intent on having a go at our terms and conditions.

Jog on

Jog on there yourself. Sure isn't that terrible that you had to pay for something yourself.....the same as any accountant who wants to do a MSc in accounting before starting.

Ah sure the handy life of a trainee accountant doing 80 hours a week in audit for PWC. So handy that they can study for exams and, get this, they don't even need to have 3 months off for the Summer to recover from the stress. Would ya credit it? All the while getting paid about 22k a year........

Poor oul' teachers. Terrible life. Nothing really stopping you from spending your long Summers, or your long Halloween, Christmas or Easter Holidays, or any of your long post 4pm evenings studying for and passing the same accountancy exams if you want to. I'm not saying teachers are overpaid but they are by no means entitled to give it the poor mouth

salonfire wrote: »
    That's the facts is it not? You can correct me if I am wrong.
    Salaries are paid for 9 months. Pro-rated over 12 months is €48000.
    Others work for an extra three months each year so it is only fair to highlight pro rated terms as well.

This is not unique to just teachers, but a Masters and further education (e.g. QFA or accounting exams) is a pretty a must have for others as well. Used to be a Leaving Cert could get you a job in the civil service. It wouldn't even get you a look in now, where a degree is a de-facto requirement to have the best chance of starting as a clerical officer for example.

So you’re telling me that if a teacher earns €36k in 2018, does no other work of any sort, that he/she has really earned €48k?

I know full well what it’s like in civil service.
    I temped as a CO for summers when in college and have a family member who started 4 years ago, got in with a degree as you say and is now up to HEO and on around €46k.

• Advertisement

Jog on

Nobody is having a go. This is a discussion forum. There will be others who see things differently to you and will bring up a different perspective.

Jog on there yourself. Sure isn't that terrible that you had to pay for something yourself.....the same as any accountant who wants to do a MSc in accounting before starting.

Ah sure the handy life of a trainee accountant doing 80 hours a week in audit for PWC. So handy that they can study for exams and, get this, they don't even need to have 3 months off for the Summer to recover from the stress. Would ya credit it? All the while getting paid about 20k a year........

Poor oul' teachers. Terrible life.

Sure look, I’ll jog on so.

It is indeed a hard life.

The three best reasons to be a teacher are coming up.

I’ll be sure to enjoy them.

Don’t get too green

Sure look, I’ll jog on so.

It is indeed a hard life.

The three best reasons to be a teacher are coming up.

I’ll be sure to enjoy them.

Don’t get too green

Exactly. This is an excellent point. Such a same this positivity isn't a little more forthcoming among all the negativity shown on this forum to provide some more balance to those that may be viewing to try decide if teaching is the career for them or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teaching. Go for it, but do not come back crying about how nobody told you how difficult it would be to get a proper job.

Year after year we have people posting here who think it will be different for them and the teacher training courses are only too happy to take their money, knowing full well there are not enough jobs in the market they are flooding.

That is the real scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

A lot of bitterness for us teachers tonight and we only having ten days left ... those in post primary. Then we can start the nixers and holidays in the sun :)

• Advertisement

A lot of bitterness for us teachers tonight and we only having ten days left ... those in post primary. Then we can start the nixers and holidays in the sun :)

Yes, for those lucky enough to have secured full time positions, there are significant positives. These are not often mentioned in the din of pour mouthing and complaining we hear in the media from teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

salonfire wrote: »
    Yes, for those lucky enough to have secured full time positions, there are significant positives. These are not often mentioned in the din of pour mouthing and complaining we hear in the media from teachers.

So you are finally acknowledging that every teacher isn't on €36,000, full time and permanent??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So you are finally acknowledging that every teacher isn't on €36,000, full time and permanent??

Yeah. 38,701 within 9 months of graduation apparently. And the only way is up from there baby!

A recent survey from the Higher Education Authority found that education graduates have the highest starting salary of any group of graduates, earning €38,701 within nine months of graduation. They also had the best employment prospects of any group of undergraduates, with 81 per cent in full-time employment and 11 per cent in part-time employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm going to close up this thread before the trolls get too excited about being teachers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement